20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 7:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.

rtischler

It won't create a disc menu and cuts the movie short no matter what I do, it won't include all videos.  I do not have autoplay selected anywhere that I can see.  Why is it cutting 30 minutes of my video as well?

• 1. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Let us get the background information out of the way first...

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on?

Are you running the 9.0.1 Update version of the program.?

What specific disc menu are you using?

And, how many Timeline markers do you have placed in the Timeline content (main menu markers, scene markers, stop markers)?

How many main menu pages are you ending up with displayed in Disc Menus Customization area (see bin under the screen)?

How many scene menus pages are you ending up with displayed in Disc Menus Customization area (see bin under the screen)?

Where is the video getting cut short 30 minutes?

Can you get the image of a disc menu into the disc menu customization screen, as shown with the Art In Motion Theme.

(When you do not have a theme in that screen, the AutoPlay button above the Preview button is grayed out.)

9DiscMenus.JPG

Please give as much description details of the problem as possible.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
            rtischler Level 1

I am using windows xp.  And yes I installed 9.0.1 update. I also tried disc cleanup, I don't need to defrag, and I tried disabling my virus software before running the create disc.

I am using kids channel menu with kids room scene markers. I have 25 scenes, I had about 30 and then tried cutting them to see if that helped because no more that 25 showed up on the scene menus.

I wind up with one menu screen and 7 scene screens.

The video cuts out a 1:31:54 no matter what I do, the video I created is 2:04:15.  I also never get a menu no matter what I do, even though it shows a menu in the creation area and when I preview it.

Here is my screen shot.

The software also tends to freeze on me a lot and then will not open unless I reboot.  This project has taken me weeks and I have tried to burn 3 dvds with the above problems occurring each time.

I am getting really frustrated and about ready to give up.

• 3. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows XP 32 bit

Do not give up. Let us see what we can do to get your project moving forward if possible. Several important consideration.

1. Computer resources and a large project.

Your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is only a 32 bit application running in a 32 bit computer environment and as such has all the limitations of 32 bit system, namely maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that are available. You have a 2 hour plus which is maxing out the capacity of the disc. You have a lot of menu pages (1 main menu and 7 scene menu pages). The location of your Scratch Disks and how much free hard drive space there might be factoring into all this also.

2. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 will allow no more than 25 menu markers on that Timeline. That is the same for Premiere Elements 10 and 11 as well.

The history of that can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Menu Marker Limitation/Implementation Update

So the number of main menu and scene menu pages will be impacted on how many pages 25 markers fit into.

But, you are not losing Timeline content in this regard. The Timeline content after 25th marker is there, it just does not have a menu button to access it.

You pick the 25th scene and then let it play out to the end of the Timeline. If you want less pages put still want 25 menu markers, then pick a menu (or create one) that has more buttons per page designed into it).

Things to do:

a. Check the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk for location and free hard drive space.

Check for pile ups in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, Media Cache Folder.

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and hit the Clean button in the Media Cache Database area.

b. Find a menu or create one with more buttons per page.

c. In the burn dialog, tell us what you see for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

d. Help to focus me in on

The video cuts out a 1:31:54 no matter what I do, the video I created is 2:04:15.  I also never get a menu no matter what I do, even though it shows a menu in the creation area and when I preview it.

Do you mean that you play back the Timeline in the Edit area monitor and the playback refused to go beyond the 01:32:54;00 mark?

or

Where do you never get a menu...in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you burn to disc using Share/Disc/DVD disc?

e. What happens if you make a copy of this project (File Menu/Save A Copy) and then use the copy to delete 1/2 the project? Can you

now burn that reduced Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menu without problem?

Please consider. If you get a far as what is indicated in your screenshot, you should be close to success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                rtischler Level 1

I tried all of your suggestions at the top, my scratch disk has over 300 GB available.  I did dump the media cache.

In the burn dialog I with the fit contents checked it says space required 4.37 GB (bitrate 4.69 Mbps).  This is the size of my disk.

The playback in adobe is fine.  I can even get past the 1:31 in the preview window.  It's whenever I burn a disk it never burns anything past 1:34:27, the video is no where on the disc.  Also, whenever I burn a disc (which I have now wasted three disks) it never creates a DVD menu.  It generates one during the burn (I watch it scroll through all 8) but they never show up on the DVD.  I have tried viewing the DVD in both a DVD player and the computer.  It makes it an autoplay DVD.

I am reluctant to try burning another disc with the second half, I have already wasted 3 discs on this.  I don't want to waste any more.

I am switching the the Broadway disc menu since it allows for 5 scenes on a page.  This gets me down to one menu screen and 5 scene screens.

Should I try again with the media cache dump and less menu screens or do you think something else is occurring with the remaining video? The first time I burned the disc it generated 1:34:27, then I cut some video and the run time was then 1:33:07, then I cut the number of scenes down to 25 and the run time was 1:31:54.  So no matter what I do it seems to be getting shorter, it's not the same video segment either (that changes since I am cutting video).  What is going on?

• 5. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Thanks for the follow up details.

Clearly you are putting too much on that DVD disc spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 minutes (that 4.7 GB is in reality 4.38 GB). What has happened is the program has lowered the bitrate from 8.00 Mbps (max) down to 4.69 Mbps in order to make the fit. That lowers the file size, but also lowers the quality of the final product. You are not in a good place there.

If your viewers have players that support playback using DVD-VIDEO on DVD double layer single sided disc, you should be using a DVD double layer single sided disc (this disc is spec'd at 8.5 GB/240 minutes (in reality this 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB).

You said that you cleared the Media Cache Files Folder. That was good. What about the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder. That is usually the worst offender eating up hard drive space, especially if you did a lot of Timeline rendering of HD footage. Make sure that the Encoded Files Folder is in a place with a lot of free space.

Right now it has the sound of a major resource issue. But, I will not take anything for granted. Any chance of you getting some inexpensive DVD-RW which will allow themselves to be overwritten so that you can use them again? If you do, it might good to look for flaws in the project itself.

What you can do for now...do the burn to folder for both Folder (4.7 GB) and for Folder (8.5 GB). Same burn dialog considerations, that is, check mark next to

"Fit Content to Available Space" and write down the Space Required and Bitrate in each case.  Determine if those two cases result in a successful burn to folder, then we will take it from there.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                    rtischler Level 1

I tried what you suggested which was to burn to a folder.  It did not work.  It still cut out around the same time, there was still no menu generated, and now a bunch of the videos showed up as solid green. This was after I lowered the number of total menus down to 6 from 8 and cut some time off the total footage and emptied both folders.

What is going on?

• 7. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Thanks for the update.

Did you do the burn to folder Folder (8.5 GB) as well as the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) and got the same results?

Just quick check list

a. Latest version of QuickTime?

b. Running program from User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as with Run As Administrator applied (right click the desktop

icon and select Run As Administrator)"

c. How much installed and available RAM does you computer have? How much free hard drive space - especially in locations

where Scratch Disks are pointed?

How about making a copy of your project (File Menu/Make A Copy), and then use the copy in which you delete 1/2 the project.

Then try to burn that to folder, Folder (4.7 GB)? If that does not work, then definitely time for the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and even

QuickTime uninstall, ccleaner run through, and then reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                        rtischler Level 1

Yes I have the current quicktime.  Yes for both administrator questions.  I have 8 GB RAM available.  I have 634 GB available in the scratch disc locations.

I was only able to do the 8.5 GB tonight, I will try the 4.7 burn tomorrow.

How do I reinstall if it came installed on my computer with no disc?

• 9. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                          rtischler Level 1

And sorry I run windows 7 (i use xp at work and got confused). Don't know if that matters.

• 10. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Thanks for the replies.

You said

I was only able to do the 8.5 GB tonight, I will try the 4.7 burn tomorrow.

Did the Folder (8.5 GB) route not work?

If you have a pre-installed Premiere Elements 9, I can direct you to installation files that you can download. But, the critical part is "did you get a serial number for your pre-installed Premiere Elements 9"? If not, that can be a major deal breaker unless.... If you do not have the purchased serial number, go to Adobe web site http://www.adobe.com, sign in, in the Search field type "My Products", and then follow the links to "My Products". With a bit of luck, we might find your Premiere Elements 9 listed there. And, if you click on it, your serial number should be revealed.

The link to the web site where you can get Premiere Elements 9 tryout files into which you can insert your purchased serial number.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-9-premiere-elements-9-direct-download-links.h tml

Read carefully Note: Very Important Instruction otherwise you are going to get an Access Denied message.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                              rtischler Level 1

I tried the entire file under both 4.7 and 8.5 GB with no luck.  I then split the file into two.  The first file I generated at about 1:20 since the created movie was always stopping around 1:35.  This time it didn't create the movie to 1:35 it stopped around 1:05.  So no matter what I do, it does not burn the entire project.  I am having the same issue with both halves of the movie.

And it still will not create a menu no matter what.  It shows a menu in the preview, everything looks good.  It has scenes in the preview menu, but no menu when the dvd is burned.

I cannot do a complete reinstall since I can't find my serial number anywhere.  I registered the product but its not listing it under my products at all, let alone a serial number.

At this point I have wasted a solid month on this project with no luck.

I am ready to give up.

• 12. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                rtischler Level 1

I tried the entire file under both 4.7 and 8.5 GB with no luck.  I then split the file into two.  The first file I generated at about 1:20 since the created movie was always stopping around 1:35.  This time it didn't create the movie to 1:35 it stopped around 1:05.  So no matter what I do, it does not burn the entire project.  I am having the same issue with both halves of the movie.

And it still will not create a menu no matter what.  It shows a menu in the preview, everything looks good.  It has scenes in the preview menu, but no menu when the dvd is burned.

I cannot do a complete reinstall since I can't find my serial number anywhere.  I registered the product but its not listing it under my products at all, let alone a serial number.

At this point I have wasted a solid month on this project with no luck.

I am ready to give up.

• 13. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Sorry for the delayed reply. Got detoured several times.

Did you ever say whether or not this issue is confined to this particular project? What happens if you start a new project - same source files from the computer hard drive save location - same disc menus? If you can create a new project, that is a major point.

Until now my impression has been that your project does not have enough computer resources to support it. But, your recent results suggest probably more to it than that.

Your lack of a purchased serial number jeopardizes attempts to look for the answer based on notions of corrupted installation files.

a. You deactivate and/or uninstall, you have no serial number to get the program back.

b. You download installation files from another source and look at it as the tryout. Yes it works as the tryout, so it is your copy that is the problem. No it does not work as the tryout, probably something in your computer environment at the core of the issue. Either way, the bottom line is going to be that you need a purchased serial number. Any chance of you finding your purchased serial number? When you went looking for it at Adobe, were you looking under My Products or My Orders. It should have been My Products.

Please check out the above. I am hoping for a reply with "Yes, I can start a new project."

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                    rtischler Level 1

I did try to create a new project.  I tried that to create the half movies I tried to generate and ran into the same problem.

I have torn my house apart looking for anything that HP might have sent me with my laptop top to see if the registration number was included with it.  I can't locate anything that mentions Adobe Premiere.  I have tried to contact HP with not much luck.

I registered the program but it does not show up on the adobe website, I am not sure why.  My account says I have no programs registered.

I am really unsure of how to proceed at this point.  I am stuck with all these videos that I can't do anything with.

• 15. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                      rtischler Level 1

My husband finally agreed to look for it, and he just found it.  I have the serial number now.

So you suggest that I uninstall the software, reinstall it with my virus checker off, then update it.  And then start a new project importing all the videos and start from scratch?

• 16. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like we might have a breakthrough.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 assumed 64 bit.

1. Go to Control Panel to verify the installation status of Premiere Elements 9.

If it is there, the open the program to the Timeline workspace, go to Help Menu/Deactivate and click on Deactivate to do just that. Close out of there.

2. Then back to the Control Panel/Programs for the Premiere Elements 9 uninstall.

3. Then do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete installs or uninstalls.

V\CCleaner - Download

4. Reinstall Premiere Elements 9 with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

(Please remind me if you have McAfee antivirus. That has been highly problematic for Premiere Elements lately.)

5. Install the 9.0.1 Update

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Besides running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, also right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 9, select Run As Administrator to apply that.

Open the program and create a mini project with menus and let us see if that goes to a successful completion for DVD-VIDEO with menus on DVD disc.

Please let me know if you are OK with the details.

Many thanks for your follow ups.

ATR

• 17. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                          rtischler Level 1

I finally followed ALL of your directions above started completely over, tried to make a shortened movie and had no luck with menus.

When I rebuilt my entire project again it's back to cutting it off after 1 hour and 30 minutes with no menu.

I followed ALL of your directions with no luck, at this point I really don't know what to do.  I have wasted countless hours trying to make this video for my children with zero luck.

• 18. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news is not better. I thank you for taking the time to work through the troubleshooting suggestions.

Recap....Have you been working on Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Window 7 64 bit computer all this time?

If you have not already, the only thing we may not have done is have you create a New User Account with Administrative Privileges and download,

install, and run Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on that. Sometimes when all else fails, that approach comes through.

I do not know if you want to consider for troubleshooting purposes only at this time, downloading and installing the Premiere Elements 13 latest

version to determine if this latest version behaves the same as version 9.0/9.0.1. Whatever information we get from this would be helpful - the results

are going to point to the computer to the version. The 9 and 13 workspaces are markedly different but the principles remain the same. I could walk you

through the 13 workflow if you need help to determine if you can get a DVD with menus from this program.

But be advised that Premiere Elements 13 no longer supports Windows XP or Window Vista, just in case these operating systems got

involved in this.

What do you think? Worth it or not? If worse comes to worse, do you have Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker on your computer

to produce a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus?

Looking forward to your reply and hope we can get you the video end product that you need.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                              rtischler Level 1

Yes I am using Premiere Elements 9.0.1 on a Window 7 64 bit computer.

I was able after several days to finally burn half my video with menus.  It would fail burning the disc 1 out 3 times but I succeeded. Which is further than I got before.

The problem I am having now is with the second half of the movie.  That portion, no matter what I do will only burn 12 minutes and NO videos.  Even if I delete the video it seems to have trouble with, it does not go any further.  In addition some of the videos are burning entirely green.  Does it matter that they are iPhone videos that seem to be causing the problem? Some of the videos are from a high def camera and others from an iPhone.  (Although the other half of the movie was the same mix and had no problems)

At this point I am not willing to spend the money on the upgrade on the off chance it will work. And windows movie maker isn't processing my iPhone movies correctly.

Do you have any further insights now that we seem to have narrowed it down a bit?

• 20. Re: Problems creating a dvd on premeire elements 9.
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

rtischler

Thanks for the update.

Please confirm, are any of the specific files in the problem 2nd half used in the 1st half of the Timeline?

iPhone video can be problematic for Premiere Elements in at least two different ways...

a. it does not import at all

b. it imports and you have audio out of sync.

Take the green video from the 2nd half and replace it with that green video taken to H.264.mp4 with

HandBrake

https://handbrake.fr

HandBrake.JPG

Open the program, and click on Source/Open File. Browse to and select your file.

Typically in that top row, I change "Chapters" to "seconds"

Destination = hard drive location for the saved H.264.mp4 to be generated

Output Settings = Mp4

Leave the other tab content as is.

Go directly to the Video Tab

Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

Framerate =  29.97 (do not use Same as Source) ....I am assuming here the your iPhone video = 1080p30.

Place a dot in front of Constant Framerate

For starters, you can leave the Quality area as is and, if necessary next try, dot the Avg. Bitrate kbps and set a value

which corresponds more closely to the original. We can discuss that later. The main objective of this task is to discover

if we can get rid of the green video by converting it from its original format to HandBrake H.264.mp4.

Click on the Start button at the top left of the workspace and wait for "Queue Finished" to appear in progress bar at

the lower left of the workspace.

We will be watching for your results. Any questions or need clarification along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR