4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 6:17 PM by JimHess

RAW, light and color distortion

davis anderson

I just started using RAW files on my camera. I have a Canon T3i. I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" operating on Mavericks. I just uploaded about 1200 photos (trip to Alaska) and started to judge and edit them etc. As I was looking through, the image would look just like it was on my camera. It would load into Lightroom, correcting focus etc and the color as well as the amount of lighting would completely change. It would get a little darker and the colors would fade. I have no idea why its doing this but expect it has to do with my versions ability to edit RAW files. If there is a solution for this I would really like it but am accepting now I might be SOL.

-Cheers

• 1. Re: RAW, light and color distortion
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a normal phenomenon when working with raw images. Every raw file contains a JPEG preview. That preview will reflect all the in-camera adjustments that you may have made when you originally took the picture. Lightroom displays that JPEG preview initially while it generates a new preview based on the raw image data. Lightroom does not read all of the in-camera settings such as saturation, picture styles, and other camera settings. So the new preview of the raw image data will be without those adjustments that were made to the JPEG preview image. You are starting with the "raw" image data so that you can manipulate the image to your liking. If you find that you're making the same adjustments consistently then you can either create presets that will apply those adjustments, or you can create new default settings for your camera so that they will be applied automatically whenever you import new images.

• 2. Re: RAW, light and color distortion
            davis anderson Level 1

Thank you so much! Have only been using Lightroom for a few months so still a little slow with it. Thank you again, you made my day. cheers

• 3. Re: RAW, light and color distortion
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim didn't mention it but the most effective thing to do is to set the camera profile to "camera standard" in Develop and turn that setting into the new default for your camera (hold the option key and your reset button will turn into "Set Default ...". Adobe's standard profiles are very conservative and generally do not give very pleasing results.

• 4. Re: RAW, light and color distortion
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That probably depends on the camera and the shooting style of the photographer. I'm actually using Adobe Standard on both of my cameras as the default profile. But, you're right. Find the profile that works best for you, and include it as part of your camera defaults.