4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2006 9:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Calling a Server Side ActiveX Control?

Level 7
      Hi --

I am still learning my way around Flex and so I thought I'd try converting a
      simple ASP application to Flex. One question I have though is that my ASP
      page calls an activeX control installed on the server:

Server.CreateObject("object")

Is there a way to do this in Action Script?

Rich

• 1. Calling a Server Side ActiveX Control?
          inlineblue Level 1
          If your ASP page is producing client-side HTML (or whatever) and doing server processing at the same time, then you need to break that up. Flex apps run only on the client machine. All your server processing must be bundled together (in another ASP page, say) and then your Flex app needs to call your ASP page to retrieve data. Somethng like Server.CreateObject() stays on the server.
          • 2. Re: Calling a Server Side ActiveX Control?
            Level 7
            Hi --

Well I have code that does some data processing. So how would I call the ASP
            page from my Flex app?

Rich

"inlineblue" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:e9j8n4$38k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Why would your ASP page change? That's on the server. Flex applications
            > run on the client. Your Flex app should make use of your ASP page.

• 3. Re: Calling a Server Side ActiveX Control?
              inlineblue Level 1
              Sorry, I guess my edit didn't make it to the newsgroup. My updated comment was:

If your ASP page is producing client-side HTML (or whatever) and doing server processing at the same time, then you need to break that up. Flex apps run only on the client machine. All your server processing must be bundled together (in another ASP page, say) and then your Flex app needs to call your ASP page to retrieve data. Somethng like Server.CreateObject() stays on the server.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with ASP. From what I've gleamed from others, you can use ASP to create a SOAP-based webservice that a Flex app can call to retrieve data. You need to use the <mx:WebService> tag in Flex to make the call. The docs have more info. But I can't help you with ASP details, sorry.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              Hi --

Well I have code that does some data processing. So how would I call the ASP
              page from my Flex app?

Rich

news:e9j8n4$38k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Why would your ASP page change? That's on the server. Flex applications
              > run on the client. Your Flex app should make use of your ASP page.

• 4. Re: Calling a Server Side ActiveX Control?
                Level 7
                Hi --

Well the ASP page is just doing some processing but not returning any data,
                although I guess I could have it return a variable like STATUS=SUCCESS. But
                how do I call the ASP page from Flex?

Rich

news:e9k86f$9h0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Sorry, I guess my edit didn't make it to the newsgroup. My updated
                > comment was:
                >
                > If your ASP page is producing client-side HTML (or whatever) and doing
                > server
                > processing at the same time, then you need to break that up. Flex apps run
                > only
                > on the client machine. All your server processing must be bundled together
                > (in
                > another ASP page, say) and then your Flex app needs to call your ASP page
                > to
                > retrieve data. Somethng like Server.CreateObject() stays on the server.
                >
                > Having said that, I'm not familiar with ASP. From what I've gleamed from
                > others, you can use ASP to create a SOAP-based webservice that a Flex app
                > can
                > call to retrieve data. You need to use the <mx:WebService> tag in Flex to
                > make
                > the call. The docs have more info. But I can't help you with ASP
                > details,
                > sorry.
                >
                >
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                > Hi --
                >
                > Well I have code that does some data processing. So how would I call the
                > ASP
                > page from my Flex app?
                >
                > Rich
                >
                >
                > "inlineblue" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                > news:e9j8n4$38k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > > Why would your ASP page change? That's on the server. Flex
                > > applications
                > > run on the client. Your Flex app should make use of your ASP page.
                >
                >
                >

>
                >
                >