11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 12:57 AM by Gurzeh

Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode

Gurzeh

I've noticed that in Grid mode (expanded cell information) Lightroom show Modification date instead of Capture date. How can I correct this?

• 1. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
          areohbee Level 5

I wouldn't have thought it possible - the Library View Options only has one date/time option: capture date/time.

Do the files have a capture date/time?

• 2. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
            Gurzeh Level 1

Capture décran 2014-08-19 21.17.19.png

Notice the one at the top where Modification date = capture date: Feb 7th 2005, but the one below shows a Capture time Nov 7 2005 (folder name & I sort by date) and display 6 May 2013 which is the Modification time (checked with finder). Definitely a bug.

• 3. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
              Gurzeh Level 1

IMG_8491.JPG

I don't know if the meta data are still there, but Exif shows File Modification Date/Time: 2013:05:06 00:04:50+08:00 and Modify Date (aka Capture date): 2005:11:07 10:36:30

• 4. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Sigh, image metadata is such a mess, with different programs and operating systems using similar labels for different fields. I suspect what's going on with your images is that some of them do not have a metadata field for "capture date".  If you upload one of the suspect images to Dropbox and post the link here, I can verify this.  (That's probably the most efficient way of resolving your issue, rather than an extended exchange of posts.)  Note also that Modify Date is not also known as Capture Date.

Gory details:

The metadata fields EXIF:DateTime (what Exiftool calls EXIF:ModifyDate) and XMP:ModifyDate are shown in LR in the Metadata > EXIF panel as "Date Time".  This is a metadata field set by image-manipulation programs like LR whenever they modify the image or its metadata.   This metadata field is not the same thing as the last-modification date/time shown by Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer -- that's a field maintained for every file automatically by the operating system.

EXIF:DateTimeOriginal and XMP:DateCreated store the date/time the image was captured by a digital camera. These fields are shown as "Capture Time" in LR's Metadata > Default panel, and as "Date/Time Original" in Metadata > EXIF. 

When an image is missing EXIF:DateTimeOriginal/XMP:DateCreated, then for its internal "Capture Date", LR 5.6 uses EXIF:DateTime/XMP:ModifyDate (if present), otherwise it uses the file system's last-modification date.  (Versions prior to 5.6 had different, buggy behavior.)

• 5. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                  Gurzeh Level 1

John, you rock!!!!

Your explanation is very clear (It shows you have an extended developer background, if you allow me this guessing).

So...

Here is the link to the image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45396740/IMG_8491.JPG

You are certainly right. One thing that is interesting is that when LR (when the import was made, few years from now, I don't know which version I was running, probably 4, but it might have been 5 already. Now I use 5.6) imported the IMG_8491.JPG picture, it seems to me that it created a folder 20051107, using the EXIF:DateTime (which is there 2005:11:07 10:36:30) or the XMP:ModifyDate (which holds the same value)

But when it shows in the cell what I ask (Capture date), LR seems to show file system's last-modification date

To correct this, as you suggest, I just have to add a Capture Date. I don't know if pyexiftoolgui allows me to do that

In any case, thanks A LOT for your tremendous help, again I'm impressed by your knowledge

Pierre

PS

Have you a Web site?

• 6. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                    Gurzeh Level 1

Capture décran 2014-08-20 15.54.33.png

So you can see, just as you said, LR uses EXIF:DateTime  (or XMP:ModifyDate) for Capture Date (the red rectangle at the right, French format) and (incorrectly) shows file system's last-modification date for the Grid (left red rectangle, European format). Clearly, they are not the same.

Bug, right?

Btw, do you know a good tool to edit EXIF (pyexiftoolgui cannot add Capture date, seemingly).

• 7. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                      areohbee Level 5

Gurzeh wrote:

do you know a good tool to edit EXIF (pyexiftoolgui cannot add Capture date, seemingly).

I would think any exiftool wrapping app can add capture date, if you do it correctly.

Note: you need to:

* save metadata

* change capture date

* read metadata (so changes are incorporated in Lightroom).

If you want, you can try MetaRep - it's a (free) plugin (I wrote) designed for repairing source file dates/times and having such repairs incorporated in Lightroom. It has some usable presets, but you may need to roll up your sleeves (or ask for help) if none of the existing presets do what you want.

Rob

• 8. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

So you can see, just as you said, LR uses EXIF:DateTime  (or XMP:ModifyDate) for Capture Date (the red rectangle at the right, French format) and (incorrectly) shows file system's last-modification date for the Grid (left red rectangle, European format). Clearly, they are not the same.

This is another variant of a long-standing bug that wasn't fixed until LR 5.5:

Lightroom: Inconsistent dates for files missing date/time metadata

In that bug, a file missing EXIF:DateTimeOriginal/XMP:DateCreated would show one date in the Metadata panel and another under the thumbnail in grid view.  That bug was fixed.  But you've identified a variant in which the file is missing EXIF:DateTimeOriginal/XMP:DateCreated but does contain EXIF/XMP:ModifyDate, and here too LR shows one date under the thumbnail and another in the Metadata panel.

The fix, as you've already concluded, is to use a third-party tool to copy ModifyDate to DateTimeOriginal for those files missing DateTimeOriginal.  For these kinds of tasks, I use Exiftool directly from the command line, but it does take a while to learn.

• 9. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                          bob frost Level 3

To avoid using command line in ExifTool, I use ExifToolGUI which is fairly idiot-proof! It is not fully supported any more, but Phil Harvey who wrote ExifTool contributes to the GUI forum and has helped with bugs etc in the past.

I've just been using it to correct Coyright data in Exif and therefore in LR. The only problem I have is that LR will not read the new copyright data (or any other metadata from outside LR) without putting a RESET on top of your develop history, which is infuriating. I have reported this to Adobe in the past but it is obviously of minor significance to them. If you have got to manually step back  each image to get your develop history working again, it takes forever with a few thousand files. Rob Cole does have a plugin which should do this automatically, but I can't get that to work. So at present I change the copyright data or capture time, etc in Exif using ExifToolGUI and then change it again in LR so that at least they are saying the same thing. But I daren't tell LR to read the files again!!

It's little things like this that make LR such a pain to use at times.

Bob Frost

• 10. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                            areohbee Level 5

Please contact me outside the forum if you have a problem with one of my plugins - thanks.

robcole.com - Contact Me

PS - I've never had to put a RESET on top of my develop history to get changes to take (e.g. capture time), but my testing has been limited (mostly Windows 7) - e.g. I never tried copyright.

R

• 11. Re: Modification date instead of Capture date in Grid mode
                              Gurzeh Level 1

Rob,

Thanks a lot.

I will definitely use your plugin. If any problem, I will allow myself to ask support, but will try to solve before

Again, a big thanks

Pierre