3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 8:37 AM by myCharlie

Morphing effects

myCharlie Level 1

I saw this HP tablet commercial effect, not sure what it's called, that shows a person close the laptop lid on an orange and popped, it shows a glass of orange juice. I also saw similar effects like this on Youtube but I don't know what it's called. It sort of like morphing effects but not exactly. Anyway, if anyone can point me to step by step instruction on how this is done, I'd appreciated.

• 1. Re: Morphing effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Step by step instructions? Such stuff takes meticulous shot planning, 3D animation, 3D-tracking/ matchmoving and experienced artists, and well, from your question it is clear that you are very, very far from even getting close to that. Your journey starts here:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC) | After Effects region of interest

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Morphing effects
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Mylenium said... Planning, story board, production stills for continuity. This isn't really morphing it's just very careful cutting, roto, motion tracking and color correction.

Here's what I would do to change one object into another with a camera move. First, get some kind of dolly or slider so you can move the camera in almost exactly the same way. Second, carefully block your actors so they move to their marks in a very repeatable manner making careful note of the position of the item you want to change. Then I'd shoot several good takes. Now I'd move to the new location and repeat the setup exactly. All of the angles to the actors and the item that are going to change will have to match very closely. The distance from the camera must be the same. Then repeat.

In post you track or stabilize a good take from the first location then you track or stabilize the shot from the second location, then you overlay one video on the other and carefully adjust the timing and the position so that the article you want to switch out is lined up as good as you can. Then you roto (mask) elements of the scene that you want to carry over from one shot to another and make your matching cut or transition. If you have stabilized the shots you reintroduce the motion to both shots then do color grading so the transition is seamless. If I were shooting the Tablet commercial you are describing I'd want about 2 weeks for testing, shooting and initial post and a crew of a dozen or more.

• 3. Re: Morphing effects
              myCharlie Level 1

Thank you for the quick response. I'm looking at having the camera on a tripod and not moving, just the actor closing the lid and shows another device.