6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 7:21 PM by schmidtydidit

ungrouping elements that are not grouped

schmidtydidit

Been getting more files that have several elements that appear grouped. They (text boxes, images and vector graphics) move together, show up in the links palette separately and delete all together. But when selected I can not "ungroup" or release clipping path to break up the elements.

I have seen it in Indesign CS6 mostly, tried to bring it in to CC to see if I could ungroup it with newer version. I need to be able to ungroup the elements so I can reposition them separately.

Can anyone fill me in on what i may be missing.

I do not have screen grabs cause I am at home, files I worked with are at work.

thanks for you help

• 1. Re: ungrouping elements that are not grouped
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You don’t need to ungroup them to select and move individual objects. Either double click into the group or use the layers panel to select the object you want to move.

• 2. Re: ungrouping elements that are not grouped
            schmidtydidit Level 1

OK, they are all not on the same layer, and yes I found the way to move them individually, wasn't sure if that was correct or not, but how were they created? Can they be ungrouped, is it a masking feature?

• 3. Re: ungrouping elements that are not grouped
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think, we need to see a screenshot to help you. Select one of the objects. Open the Layers Panel. Open the little triangle with layer name beneath and show us what is going on. Best use the camera icon here in the forums software to post inline like that:

HowToInsertScreenShot.png

If they are grouped they would be on the same layer.
              If they are pasted inside other objects, they would be on the same layer.
              If they were made of composite paths they would be on the same layer.

Are you sure you do not have a Button object with several states?
              Or a Multistate Object with several states?

Uwe

• 4. Re: ungrouping elements that are not grouped
                schmidtydidit Level 1

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 6.47.00 PM.png

OK I am wrong and they are on the same layer.

I see now how to select and move them as individuals, thanks

So is there a way to ungroup these?

thanks guys

• 5. Re: ungrouping elements that are not grouped
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks for providing the screenshot. That really helps.

What we see here is a first level layer named "art 1".

Some polygons on first level of it and a group that consists of one image, a rectangle, two squares and and another group (you did not open).

Further there is an object where a group of objects is pasted inside.

Presumably these all are from an Illustrator file copied to InDesign (I could be wrong on this; just an assumption).

If you want to ungroup these you have to move the groups out of their container objects. Select every single group in the Layers Panel and do a "Cut" and a "Paste In Place". Maybe you have to this with every group individually.

After the group is pasted it will be positioned at top level of the layer. You can ungroup it (if you have to). For groups within a group you have to this more than one time.

Do all this on a duplicate of your file!

But be aware: the real problem after editing is to nest the ungrouped objects again in the right way.
                  So maybe it is better doing the editing process without ungrouping and unnesting them. Just leave it as it is and select one object after another in the Layers Panel to edit it.

Hint: you could always hide a selected object.

Uwe

• 6. Re: ungrouping elements that are not grouped
                    schmidtydidit Level 1

OK perfect, I will work on that now.

Lot of work, I need to do this more and more. I have to kind of rebuild as I do what I need to do to these files.

thanks this helps a lot