9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 12:10 PM by MoHrG

ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank

MoHrG

Please help. I am making a resume after recently graduating college. I have made the entire resume other than the "portfolio" page. I wanted to make the page show small images of my work, than when you roll over them they expand to show a larger image. I wanted to do this to show my progression with InDesign to potential employers, however, when I save the entire resume as an interactive .pdf the last "portfolio" page shows up blank every time. I have trouble shooted the process dozens of times to the point I want to pull my hair out. I made another new file separate from my resume which shows a white page. I put two pics only and when I previewed the buttons they worked fine, just like on my resume, but when I export the simple two pic document to an interactive .pdf the page comes up blank or black. The furthest I have made it is to have the smaller pics show up and when I hovered over them the pointer turns to a hand but no larger image shows up. I know it is in the exporting process cause I can get the buttons to work perfectly in the preview. WHAT am I doing WRONG??? Thanks.

• 1. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
          johnxarc Level 1

Hi there,

Do you have any screen grabs of what is going wrong?

From what I can understand, the first page is your standard text resume and then on the second page you have your portfolio.

But your portfolio is not working. The rollover to expand to show a larger image may be the cause of your issue. I've had tear my hair out moments also with trying to do this.

You could try to have the button images along the top or side of your second page and then get them to load into a larger frame below or to the side of the buttons. You can do this using Multi State objects. This may get you out of the bind you're in now.

To get a Multi State object to work in an interactive pdf you need to export the MSO (Multi State object) to swf and then add that swf to your interactive pdf export that and then you should be in business.MSO Test at 16.37.48.jpg

I'm going to knock up a basic mockup of one and put a screen grab in the reply to better explain this.

I've got the buttons up on top, you click on these to move through the portfolio of images. I've got five you may have more or less.

Select all the images and add them to the media panel to make a MSO.

Select each of the buttons and in the buttons panel add an action to go to a state, do this for each of the buttons.

Export the MSO doc as a swf, create a new doc (same dimensions) add the swf and then export as an interactive pdf (make sure to set a poster image in the media panel otherwise you'll get a weird grey flash symbol in your pdf)

Open the pdf and test to make sure it's what you want.

Obviously your portfolio / resume will look a hell of a lot better than this, this is just a proof of concept.

Here is a link to the files I used as a test.

WeTransfer

Hope this all makes sense.

John.

• 2. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
            johnxarc Level 1

Hi there,

Just a quick note.

Test the final pdf on iPad iPhone, mobile devices in general to make sure it works properly before you send out your resume.

Best of luck.

John

• 3. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
              MoHrG Level 1

Thank you SO much for your reply and for your time. For the STRANGEST reason the last page (page 7) of my resume which is my portfolio was coming up as just a plain white page. The portfolio page was the same mockup as the rest of the other pages with the exception of some rollover thumbnails of some of my work. I only did around four or five of my pics just to make sure it was working, and in the "preview" it worked fine. Once I exported it to a .pdf the page came up as just a white page only. NOW for the strangest of reasons when I attached the image to this email, upon previewing the file to make sure  it was the right one, the file worked and came up properly, with the exception of the buttons working. Don't know. Any ideas? Again, thank you SO much for your time.

• 4. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
                MoHrG Level 1

I honestly thought of making an entire page with my thumbs as a .swf, then importing them to a new page in my resume. I did that and got that grey striped page with the flash symbol and nothing worked. So what do I do to get the .swf to work and save properly. I got the buttons working fine but it's the exporting and saving that's ruining me. Lol. Thank you guys.

• 5. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
                  MoHrG Level 1

ok I have Windows 8. I tried opening your .pdf files and your's was coming up as blank pages too, or my viewer was saying it couldn't open the file. Perhaps my viewer is bad? I have the standard viewer that came with my PC laptop. You guys have any suggestions for apps I could use to properly read my files if it's actually my reader not working right? I need one that is general, that potential employers may have.

• 7. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
                    MoHrG Level 1

you've got to be kidding me. It actually worked perfectly fine. So EVERYTHING I was doing was correct, it was JUST MY ADOBE READER!!! UGH!!! Wow! Thank you guys SO much. Now lets hope that the potential employers I email has the same program. Maybe I'll send a link along with my resume for them to download which would actually help the in the future too. Thanks guys.

• 8. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m going to throw a real monkey wrench into your plans. For the most part any prospective employer is going to expect a 1-2 page Word file when they request a resume.

• 9. Re: ID CS6 Interactive Pdf with buttons is coming up blank
                        MoHrG Level 1

yeah that's what I thought as well. LOL!!! BUT! I sent out around 40 blank common word files to the small amount of advertising agencies in my area. I live near Charleston W.V. and work, ESPECIALLY DESIGN WORK, is slim to none. One employer that was interested asked if he could give me some advice that he received without offending me. I told him any advice is good advice. He told me that I should make my resume the BEST design work I've done, and to send him back a designer resume and we could discuss employment after I show him my skills by developing a designers resume.