9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 10:00 PM by JohnSKelly

Locked picture files.

JohnSKelly

Some pictures are getting locked and blanked out. I think they may have been imported into separate catalogs. Can I unlock them somehow?

• 1. Re: Locked picture files.
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where are you working? Are you importing?

Tell us more about what you are doing, your system, Lightroom version,etc.......

thanks

• 2. Re: Locked picture files.
            JohnSKelly Level 1

I am using LR 5 on a MAC Book Pro using OS X; and I imported some pictures that may have been imported into a different catalog, but at the time I could not find it. When I imported the pictures they started to be blanked out but you can see the edge of the picture around the blanked out part. The file name shows "- locked" after the file ID. I then found the correct catalog and they are now "locked" also and not viewable. If I access the picture with "preview" the files are also mostly locked, and cannot be viewed.

• 3. Re: Locked picture files.

John, if you look at one of these locked files in Finder using Get Info is the lock box checked??

Can you also post a screen shot showing relevant bits please?

• 4. Re: Locked picture files.
                JohnSKelly Level 1

Thanks Geoff; I am trying to add three screen shots. One shows the information and the locked box is not checked. The second shows the actual image as viewed from Finder; which shows locked near the file name, and thirdly the Lightroom screen shot. Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 10.17.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-19 at 10.36.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-19 at 10.22.52 PM.png

• 5. Re: Locked picture files.

I'm sorry I have no idea and will be off line for a few days. I'm sure someone will help you out though. Can you check these files in your camera  or another app to see if they look the same?

• 6. Re: Locked picture files.
                    JohnSKelly Level 1

Geoff;  yes I have tried that and so far haven't been able to unlock the picture; its blanked out.

• 7. Re: Locked picture files.
                      JohnSKelly Level 1

I presume this is visible to all but I got an email from dj_paige asking if the screen prints were accurate. They are. The picture was blocked out in black in lightroom and grey in the file info screen. I have verified that the files are similarly blocked in other applications.

John

• 8. Re: Locked picture files.

I hope they are still on your card as it looks like some form of corruption, either at recording on the card or transferring to disk on your Mac.

Are they still on you card?

If so do they look like this on the camera playback?

If they look fine or the camera can you d/load them to your Mac again using a different physical method?

• 9. Re: Locked picture files.
                          JohnSKelly Level 1

Hi Geoff; This is very strange corruption. I need to do some further checking when I get home Monday, but in Lightroom the thumbnails look good in the Grid setting, (are they thumbnails) but with certain files clicking on a clean JPG thumbnail causes it to blank out! It almost seems as if LR is doing it although it may just be detecting corruption, but it doesn't complain!. I will do some research and get back. The pictures were all loaded onto the MAC months ago and behaved fine! I may have them on my cards still but I dont have them with me.