7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 4:57 PM by sandrakdee

no sound on imported files premiere elements 12

sandrakdee

I had an old version Windows Premiere Elements 2 and I imported the files to Premiere Elements 12....they have come across ok to the Mac, but without sound.  Can I get the sound back please? There is sound on the computer, just not when I playback the files through the organizer.

Thanks

• 1. Re: no sound on imported files premiere elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sandrakdee

What exactly did you import into Premiere Elements 12 Mac.

Are you talking about Premiere Elements 2 project files or Premiere Elements 2 Timeline content that had been exported to a file saved to the computer hard drive as .mov or mpg? What are the properties of these files?

What "old version Windows Premiere Elements 2" project files could you have possibly imported into Premiere Elements 12 Mac.

It is generally recognized the project files from the Windows version cannot be imported in the Mac version and vice versa. And, the opportunity to

open Windows Premiere Elements 2 project files in Windows Premiere Elements 12 Windows is highly problematic and have low expectation for success without introducing Mac into the situation.

Whatever files you have, can you import them into Premiere Elements 12 Mac and get video and audio if the are video/audio files?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Mac computer?

Please clarify so that we can customize/fine tune a reply for what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: no sound on imported files premiere elements 12
            sandrakdee Level 1

Oh thank you so much for your reply.

Here is what I have done.  I have just 'backed up' video files, some are .prv some are .mod .prel files.  I have just bulk copied them from the (dying) windows laptop, and wanted to use them to make a new (from old files) movie in Premiere Elements 12, as we never had a lot of success in Prem Elements 2 with the burning.

I have flashtime, and quicktime on my apple desktop computer and no updates are necessary at this time it says.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your help!!!

• 3. Re: no sound on imported files premiere elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sandrakdee

.Even if we take the Windows versus Mac out of the matter which we really cannot....

You cannot import .prel files into another Premiere Elements project file (project.prel). "Most of the time", you can open a Windows Premiere Elements project file created in an earlier version in a later Windows Premiere Elements version. And, "most of the time", you can open a Mac Premiere Elements project file created in an earlier version in a later Mac Premiere Elements version..But, you cannot open a Windows Premiere Elements project file (project.prel) in a Mac Premiere Elements. And vice versa.

If you have a .mod standard file and are having problems with it in Mac or anywhere else, then try renaming just the file extension from .mod to mpg before importing it into the program. That often works in Windows. Not sure if you would need a special converter for .mod for Mac.

As for prv files...not sure what that is. In Timeline rendering, preview files are generated, but, for SD project, the preview files are DV AVI, and, for HD project, the preview file is MPEG2.mpeg with a companion xmp file. (at least in Windows). The counterpart of DV AVI may be DV.MOV for Mac?

If you have any more details on your situation, please let us know, and I will follow up on your information. What are the file formats/file extensions that seem to be making it into Elements Organizer 12 on Mac? I cannot see how a file with the file extension .prv or .prel could be importing into Elements Organizer 12.

ATR

• 4. Re: no sound on imported files premiere elements 12
                sandrakdee Level 1

There are 'rendered' files. .avi

I can do the work on a windows laptop then...

What sort of file would be just a 'raw' file from a video camera.  That's all I'm trying to get off my laptop and onto my mac.  I'm happy to start all over again, with just the basic file.

• 5. Re: no sound on imported files premiere elements 12
                  sandrakdee Level 1

I'm sorry, I sound very remedial....and I am. 

It is just that we did some very big trips in 2008 2009 and I never got around to editing them.  I wanted to upgrade my version of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements to 'save' the files.  I simply thought it would be ok mac v's windows.  But I might have to rethink whether I upgrade to the Mac or windows versions???

• 6. Re: no sound on imported files premiere elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

sandrakdee

Thanks for the reply.

One of these days I too may be exploring Mac, and, when you are used to Windows, that is not all that easy to do.

Typically the file formats for Mac are .mov and .mp4 and such. From what I have read, iMovie does not support .avi files, and they need to be converted to .mov, mp4 for example. Premiere Elements 12 Mac I believe supports the import of an .avi file but not the export of it as an .avi file.

As long as project files across operating systems are not involved, you are probably OK if you can navigate the Windows Only formats.

The Windows Only features of Premiere Elements encourage me to stay with Elements Windows.

Think about your purchase decision a bit more. You can go the tryout for now to put in you a good purchase decision place.

ATR