1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 10:16 PM by areohbee

Locating images

Mr. Mayor Level 1

I have been remiss in the past and have have images all over the place causing the dreaded "?" (Question Mark) on lots of my folders.

For example: My Lightroom (5.6 - Mac) hierarchy looks like this:

Users

Myname

? Folder

? Folder

? Folder

? Folder

When I right-click on the question mark I get the dialog " Find Missing Folder" it takes me to the Desktop list but not to the exact location. I forgot where I put these images and may have moved them.

I thought if I put a lot of images in folders into a folder on the desktop called PHOTOS.

What's my solution? thanks.

• 1. Re: Locating images
          areohbee Level 5

There are two approaches to resolving missing folders/photos:

1. Change catalog to match current location.

2. Copy/move files from current location to match catalog.

If you want #1, then you must know where the photos are, because you have to choose the current location - dunno any way around that.

If you want #2, then you have to use a plugin called 'Relocation Services' (free, written by me) - you can then point to a root folder where the photos are known to be, somewhere in the tree, and the plugin will find them, and copy/move them back where they (supposedly) belong - be prepared to resolve ambiguity if filenames are not unique, and if filenames have changed, you'll need to take some other steps..

robcole.com - LrRelocationServices

Rob