4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2007 7:58 AM by rchinoy

Scan document from web form

rchinoy Level 1
      Hi all,

I have a CFMX7 application where I would like to integrate scanning of a local paper document into the client PC, have it stored as a PDF or graphic file, and the file automatically uploaded with the other data of a form. How can I have a web form button kick off the scan in the first place? This would seem like the province of an ActiveX control, but does anyone have any idea how to do this, or know of any existing tools that enable it?

Thanks,
      Russ
        • 1. Re: Scan document from web form
          Level 7
          This would seem like the province of an ActiveX control.

And then some! I am not aware of anything like this existing or even
          being possible. You are really stretching the published standards and
          security guidelines on to what a browser should have access and
          privileges to do, at least as I understand them.

I know if I where to click a button on a website and my scanner was to
          start up, scan a document and have the document sent to another computer
          would scare the bejevous out of me. If you could code a button to do
          it, you could code it to happen automatically and grab who knows what
          information from my computer.

Good Luck

It would be a simple matter to provide a form that a user could attach a
          file they scanned to be sent, but to do this automatically should not be
          possible as it is a huge security problem.

• 2. Re: Scan document from web form
            rchinoy Level 1
            This is for a secure internal application, so user's won't have any security concerns about the scanning - they're the ones asking to be able to do it. The problem is how to do it.
            • 3. Re: Scan document from web form
              Level 7
              rchinoy wrote:
              > This is for a secure internal application, so user's won't have any security concerns about the scanning - they're the ones asking to be able to do it. The problem is how to do it.

That is all fine and dandy for your and your users, but if the
              CAPABILITY existed in the browser so that you could do this for your
              users who want it and except the security risks, it would exist for all
              developers and all users of that browser. That means it would be very
              simple for unethical developers to use the capability to steal
              information for other users who DID NOT except the security risk.

If IE had this functionality for you, then I could use it to create a
              website, trick you to visit that site and do nasty things with your data.

NOW, I guess an activeX plugin that had to be installed would mitigate
              this somewhat, but it still is really stretching in my mind.

• 4. Re: Scan document from web form
                rchinoy Level 1
                Turns out there are ActiveX-based solutions out there for this. One is called ActivScan from ActivSoftware, though it's discontinued (but still available without support). I have downloaded the trial and will give it a shot. It's actually specifically for CF!

I'm also looking through some other sites that seem to have similar solutions.