5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 3:40 PM by areohbee

Location of previews

walterono Level 1

I am wondering whether previews have all to be located in the same directory or whether they can be spread over two. My previews are currently on a partition of my SSD which will shortly become full and I would prefer not to have to move them all.

• 1. Re: Location of previews
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The previews folder has to be in the same folder as your catalog database file so you can’t split it into multiple locations or even move it to a different location, unless you want to move your catalog to that other location as well.

If you want you can exit LR and delete the entire previews folder and just rebuild the ones you need for your current work.  The previews folder is called:   catalogname Previews.lrdata and there is a similar folder for smart previews.

Don’t delete the catalog file named catalogname.lrcat

• 2. Re: Location of previews
            dj_paige Level 9

If the real problem is that the SSD is going to be full, you might want to consider moving other things off the SSD, in particular if your original photos are on the SSD, move them off of there. Or move applications that aren't used often.

• 3. Re: Location of previews
              areohbee Level 5

If you want, you can simply relocate the previews to another drive, and leave everything else the way it is.

Instructions:

* Close Lightroom

* Move preview folder.

* Make a link to preview folder in the catalog folder, with name as required.

* Open Lightroom

If you did it right, you won't be able to notice any difference.

Consider PreviewExporter (a free plugin I wrote) to make it easier:

http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/PreviewExporterLrPlugin

(see 'Move Previews Away' - it's a button in plugin manager)

R

• 4. Re: Location of previews
                dj_paige Level 9

Except it might be noticeably slower to have the previews off the SSD and onto a regular HD, which is why I think if there are other things that can be moved off the SSD, that's probably a better idea.

• 5. Re: Location of previews
                  areohbee Level 5

dj_paige wrote:

Except it might be noticeably slower to have the previews off the SSD and onto a regular HD, which is why I think if there are other things that can be moved off the SSD, that's probably a better idea.

No argument, although you might need to use a stop-watch to notice the difference (I've tested it a few times, and have been unable to notice a difference (no formal testing) - have you tried it?).

But I was actually referring to the presence of previews - they won't rebuild if you've set up the link correctly.

FWIW: I'm not advising anything - merely informing: if you want to move previews, you can.

PS - You can move regular previews, or smart previews, or both. You could probably also move some (regular) previews and not others (ditto for smart previews), but I'd be leary of doing so and don't recommend it.

Rob