15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 7:14 AM by thedigitaldog

Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

prichardjames

I have hundreds of .tif files that I'm trying to import into Lightroom so I can evaluate whether I want to switch from Aperture. All of the .tifs have been created in Photoshop and may or may not have compression. Lightroom does not recognize them as image files until I go into the folder and put .tif at the end of each photo. Mac OS recognizes them, Preview recognizes them, Photoshop recognizes them. Why is Lightroom having this problem and is there a workaround that doesn't involve me converting everything to dng or adding .tif to the end of all my files?

• 1. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Before you rename a file to add the .tif extension, what is it's current extension?

• 2. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
            prichardjames Level 1

There are no extensions. However, the operating system recognizes them as tiff: "Name: Image 2, Kind: Tiff image, Size: 16.5MB etc. There is something within these files that tells the OS that this is a tiff (without the extension) but LR isn't picking up on that. Aperture has no problem recognizing them. Thanks for the reply!

• 3. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just performed a real scientific test (pun intended). I removed the DNG extension from one of my images. Although Lightroom was still able to display the JPEG preview, the develop module indicated that the file could not be found. As soon as I added the extension back that message went away. Lightroom depends on the extension. Aperture was an Apple product, and I suppose that made a difference. It appears to me that you are going to have to add the extension to your images.

• 4. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
                JTV1234 Level 1

If you have Photoshop, you have Bridge.  I just tried and you can use the Batch Rename tool in Bridge to add the extensions in one go.

• 5. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's not the extension. I'm on a Mac, no issues importing TIFFs without one. I do see that LR recognizes the file is a TIFF as it does show .tiff (lowercase) in the import dialog even though the file name has no such extension. I suspect it's something else. When you import, do you even see the images in the dialog? If so, does it show an extension like I described?

• 6. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

Update: OK maybe it is the extension after all. Here's what's odd. If I take a TIFF and remove it's extension, LR see's it fine. But if I make a NEW document in Photoshop, save as TIFF (with or without compression) but do NOT add the extension, LR doesn't see it. Somehow, saving with extension then removing it from the Finder works fine, something must bet embedded into the document that LR 'see's' as being a TIFF. But a virgin file saved from Photoshop without an extension doesn't work. Not sure if this is a bug or just something going on when Photoshop initially writes the file to disk such that removing the extension doesn't cause any issues with Import. So as Jim suggests, you'll probably have to add the extension. If you don't have Bridge, use Automater which is on your Mac:

How to Batch Rename Files in Mac OS X Using Automator

• 7. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
                      prichardjames Level 1

If I go to the import dialogue in LR and navigate to a folder with tiffs, it won't show a single image (it will look as though there are no files or images to import - an empty folder). If I add the .tif extension to each one, LR recognizes it. It just seems odd to me that given these were created with PS (circa 1998ish and later) and that my OS recognizes them as tiffs, that LR wouldn't recognize them.

• 8. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andrew Rodney wrote:

Somehow, saving with extension then removing it from the Finder works fine, something must bet embedded into the document that LR 'see's' as being a TIFF

Is Finder actually"removing" the extension or simply hiding it? The OP's TIFF files probably have the file extension removed from the 'filename' not just hidden. I'm not a Mac user so haven't a clue, but I'm guessing that's the issue.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10845

• 9. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

trshaner wrote:

Is Finder actually"removing" the extension or simply hiding it?          

Don't know. I just deleted the extension so I suppose the Finder is protecting my by hiding it.

It's interesting that Photoshop allows me to save the document without the extension and other app's are fine with that (Preview for example).

Seems the OP will have to rename all the files but using Automator should be a free and relatively easy solution. Still, it's odd he has to do this for LR when as I said, other app's don't seem to care.

• 10. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

Mac OS X assigns a Type Code, Creator Code, and adds a file extension, which can be hidden (but it''s still there). LR is probably expecting all files to have an extension identifying the file type, regardless of whether it's "hidden." If this is true then TIFF files created on Mac OS prior to OS X (Circa 2002) will not be recognized by LR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename_extension#Usage

"Pre-OS X versions of the Mac OS disposed of filename-based extension metadata entirely, instead using a distinct file type code to identify the file format. Additionally, a creator code was specified to determine which application would be launched when the file's icon was double-clicked. Mac OS X, however, uses filename suffixes, as well as type and creator codes, as a consequence of being derived from the UNIX-like NeXTSTEP operating system."

Simplest solution is as suggested and don't save files in PS without a file extension in the future. You can still hide the extension if you like.

• 11. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
                              prichardjames Level 1

Yes, most of these were created at newspapers around 2000. But, wouldn't it then hold true that aps, such as Preview, running on OS X wouldn't be able to recognize the tifs either? And why would tifs created in PS on OS X saved without the .tif still be unreadable by LR as with Rodney's case above?

• 12. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

prichardjames wrote:

Yes, most of these were created at newspapers around 2000. But, wouldn't it then hold true that aps, such as Preview, running on OS X wouldn't be able to recognize the tifs either? And why would tifs created in PS on OS X saved without the .tif still be unreadable by LR as with Rodney's case above?

I'll go out on a limb and suggest it's a bug in LR or at least, whatever Photoshop is doing is better behavior. When I create a Photoshop document without an extension, LR barfs. But not only does Preview open it just fine, so does Photoshop! If one Adobe application behaves this way, the other (LR) should too. And the same is true for GraphicConverter. Drag and drop the same non specified TIFF on it, it launches and opens the TIFF. LR needs the same fix that Photoshop and other applications are using to deal with this file type without an extension.

• 13. Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

prichardjames wrote:

LR needs the same fix that Photoshop and other applications are using to deal with this file type without an extension.

I agree and you can add a request here to add this capability:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 14. Re: Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5
                                    johnhawk666 Level 3

If one Adobe application behaves this way, the other (LR) should too.

Surely if I've learnt one thing from reading this forum, it's that Lr and Photoshop are constructed from different code, or at least that's what   programming experts have said when someone innocently asks why a featured in Photoshop can't be simply ported across to Lr?

• 15. Re: Re: Tif files aren't recognized by LR5

johnhawk666 wrote:

Surely if I've learnt one thing from reading this forum, it's that Lr and Photoshop are constructed from different code, or at least that's what   programming experts have said when someone innocently asks why a featured in Photoshop can't be simply ported across to Lr?

Of course they are different code's but in this respect, they should act the same way. There's no excuse not to. We're not asking LR to have layers and blend modes here! We're asking it to treat existing documents that reside on a hard drive the same way. Opening or importing data should work the same way.