5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 1:07 AM by Doc Maik

Choppy Type

CoGordo

Hello,

I am making a brochure for a customer. I have portions of type that keep looking choppy. One is just Rockwell Italic. The other is Minon pro regular rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 11.30.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-20 at 11.29.49 AM.png

Does anyone know what might be going on? The type looks this way in INdesign and Acrobat when I export it. I have double checked the export options and the screen view settings without much success.

• 1. Re: Choppy Type
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Probably the font, and maybe your display (Retina? CS6?). Screen grab looks fine here.

• 2. Re: Choppy Type
            Doc Maik Level 4

For me too. I don't see anything choppy.

• 3. Re: Choppy Type
              CoGordo Level 1

Peter, I have a 27inch Imac 2009 model and I am using adobe cc. I haven't gone to print yet but I wanted to make extra sure it was my display and not the file.

• 4. Re: Choppy Type
                Ellis home Level 4

Well, it looks choppy to me. Can you share a sample of the pdf or the .indd to take a look at it. You can use dropbox.com or similar.

• 5. Re: Choppy Type
                  Doc Maik Level 4

The thread starter should perhaps explain what he/she exactly means by "choppy" regarding the type. In the screenshots, both fonts are rendered without clear type or anti-alias, as it seems. This is a matter of font display on PC screens and the OS settings. When printing in resolutions of >300dpi, which you could test on every simple inkjet printer, you should not see any unaliased borders as long as the font is embedded and not replaced anyhow by the PDF viewer. Alternative, the CCA banner could be rasterised to 300dpi  or higher and treated with filters in Photoshop, then placed in Indesign.