11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2007 10:33 AM by MotionMaker

playing external FLV on web

BobAchgill
      When I try to play this script on the web the flv does NOT play,

However, when I run the script on my computer the flv plays fine.

Here's the script...

var my_video:Video; // my_video is a Video object on the Stage
      var my_nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
      my_nc.connect(null);
      var my_ns:NetStream = new NetStream(my_nc);
      my_video.attachVideo(my_ns);

my_ns.play("MYVideo.flv");
        • 1. Re: playing external FLV on web
          MotionMaker Level 1
          1. Did you upload the MyVideo.flv to the server?
          2. Did you match the spelling and capitalization of the file?
          3. Do you have the HTML, SWF and FLV all in the same folder? In other words do you have all path issues resolved?
          4. Is the Flash Player in the web browser you are using to test the web version the correct version for the flv encoding selected 7+ for Sorenson, 8+ for ON2?

BTW saying "I run the script on my computer the flv plays fine" could be more precise. Does that mean running on your computer in the Flash IDE with Control->Test Movie or from an HTML document; in what web browser; using a local web server on your computer or from the hard drive. All creating different issues for comparison.
          • 2. Re: playing external FLV on web
            BobAchgill Level 1
            1) I checked that I have uploaded the MyVideo.flv to the server.
            2) MyVideo.flv has matched spelling and capitalization as what is being called in the script.
            3) The html, swf and flv are in the same folder on the server.

4) I am not sure exactly about what you are asking here. I went ahead and installed the latest player version 9... which did not help. I am using IE Explorer 7.0.5730.11. How do I go about matching the flv encoding... 7+ for Sorenson, 8+ for ON2??? Is that taken care of by installing the latest player version 9??

Here are the test cases I have run each with items 1 thru 3 satisfied...

Flash IDE with Control->Test Movie: The flv shows OK
            using html with swf,html and flv all in local directory and run using IE 7: The flv shows OK
            using html with swf, html and flv all on my web server: The flv does not show.

Any suggestions??
            • 3. Re: playing external FLV on web
              MotionMaker Level 1
              When you use the Flash 8 encoder it gives you options to the encoding for Flash 7 or Flash 8 player which translates to Sorenson or On2. The default I believe is medium quality Flash 8 player.

Seems moot anyway if you are testing with the Flash 9 player which should play either Sorenson or On2 compressions assuming you published to Flash player 8. That choice is in File->Publish Settings under the Flash tab.

Thus you need more debugging information.

You may want to provide the onStatus and onMetaData handlers and an object to output to see over the net. I prefer the TextArea component in Flash 8 UI components but you can use a dynamic TextField.

Remember to remove any Flash Components from the library you use for testing and debugging for final publishing as I think they still add overhead to the movie.
              • 4. Re: playing external FLV on web
                BobAchgill Level 1
                I added these handlers just as you suggested.

All messages are OK when I run in test movie mode on my computer and the movie plays to completion.

But when I publish and upload the swf and html to my web site and run it in by my IE browser ... the message in the dynamic text box is...

NetStream.onStatus called: 71873
                level: error
                Code: NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound

What next??
                • 5. Re: playing external FLV on web
                  MotionMaker Level 1
                  The error message is explained at NetStream.onStatus. as NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound error The FLV passed to the play() method can't be found.

Again the list I can think of:
                  ..the spelling and capitalization of the file name, is it MyVideo.flv or MYVideo.flv for example.
                  ..the web server somehow not allowing the flv mime type,
                  ..the relative folder location of the FLV to the HTML,
                  ..the flv is in a folder higher than the HTML
                  ..crossdomain security which should not be the problem, but hey you can still add the line to see if it make any impact: System.security.allowDomain("*");

Thus what is next,

...One is to double check everything,
                  ...Trying a different hosting service to eliminate the hosting service.
                  ...Simply typing the URL into the web browser to see if the browser wants to download the file flv. http://www.yourdomain.com/thepathToTheFLV/MYVideo.flv. If the browser says not found, then there is a problem it is not there or it is spelled differently.

• 6. Re: playing external FLV on web
                    BobAchgill Level 1
                    Thanks Lon! It was as you said... the Mime Type needed setting on my web site. Sorry for all the trouble... I learned some debugging ideas from you via the exercise. Thanks again for your time.

Bob Achgill
                    www.GodandDeaf.org/hhr
                    A free World Literacy program
                    • 7. Re: playing external FLV on web
                      MotionMaker Level 1
                      Great sorry it did not mention it earlier.
                      • 8. Re: playing external FLV on web
                        kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        lon, did you now that sephiroth has add-on for firefox that lets you see trace statements over the web?
                        • 9. Re: playing external FLV on web
                          MotionMaker Level 1
                          Cool! Cool! I plan to look it up.

Well could not get it to work and there is not any iota of a hint at the site of a hello world example.

Ah there is a tweak that is not clearly explained at the Sephiroth FlashTracer page.

However I found this link helpful in clarifying the issues on installing.

Flash PowerTools: FlashTracer for Firefox

Yikes all you folks out there that have trace statements in your movies, they show up and so we will be seeing them!!!!! And one page is the Sephiroth FlashTracer page. :-)

• 10. Re: playing external FLV on web
                            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            i have it working with the help of that same reference. i would change to firefox as my default browser except i can't figure out a way customize the toolbar icons for bookmarks.
                            • 11. Re: playing external FLV on web
                              MotionMaker Level 1
                              Another use is to open the output file in something like TextPad or DW. The open file will also refresh in those as well and u can use search features to look for items as well as make clones of the file.