6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 5:45 PM by potterphoto

how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?

potterphoto

I downloaded photos from dvd and can see them in lightroom, however lightroom did not ask for a destination folder and now cannot find missing file folder.  How do I point Lightroom in the right direction?

• 1. Re: how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?
          areohbee Level 5

When you say "downloaded", I assume you mean "imported" (it's better to use correct terminology, whenever possible, to avoid misunderstanding).

Lightroom always "asks" for a destination folder (it presents you with an import dialog box - all options can be thought of as "questions").

So, if you copied the files somewhere (that's right: I said "you", because it's your responsibility to review the options, before clicking 'Import' - Lightroom only does what it's told..).

then they should still be where they were copied to, unless you moved them (outside Lightroom).

If they were added in place (I'm surprised Lightroom allowed it), then you need to put the DVD back in to re-access the files.

Bottom line: you have to know where the missing folder is to point Lightroom to it - if it doesn't exist, you can't point to it.

Rob

• 2. Re: how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?
            potterphoto Level 1

Hi,

First I imported about 200 images from a card reader into Lightroom and it

asked me what destination I wanted.  In windows explorer I had created a

file so I said to use that file. No problem, all images could then be

exported to the destination file when I was ready (although not yet -

haven't worked on them yet.)

Then I tried to import about 100 images from a different media card (Compact

Flash Card) and Lightroom could not read it.  Because I use 2 different

cameras, I love the way Lightroom puts them automatically in order by date

taken.

Since I could not import the images directly into Lightroom on my main

computer, I imported them using a different card reader onto my laptop

computer.  Then I burned dvds to import into Lightroom on my main computer.

When I imported them into Lightroom, it didn't give me the option for the

destination folder, so I saw a button on the lower right side that said

IMPORT.  So I did.  It seems that Lightroom made the virtual copy, but did

not put the raw files into a folder on my computer.

I am unable to work on the files or export them because the file(s) cannot

be found.

Would you be able to give me step by step instructions?

I have been using Lightroom since Lightroom 2 and I love the software.  This

is the first time I have experienced a problem.

The images are from a wedding and I really need to use your software.  I

have the Canon Mark III and only Lightroom can read the files.  I have a PC

and windows explorer, Photoshop CS5, ACDSee - none of those programs can see

the raw files.  Only Lightroom.  The other programs can see raw files from

the Canon Mark II.  But I am using the newer camera now.

Thank you for helping me out. 

Judith Potter

• 3. Re: how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?
              areohbee Level 5

I've never had Lightroom ask me where to import files to, other than via import dialog box, i.e. this:

import_dialog_box__import_destination.gif

So, until we get on some kind of common ground, I dunno if I can help.

That said, my guess what happened is:

* You imported files, choosing 'Add' (at top of import dialog box).

* The medium (DVD) no longer exists or is not mounted.

Could that be what happened?

If so, then you have to remount the disk to gain access to your photos again.

To be clear: 'Add' means "add photo to catalog - source files to remain on disk where they are". Lightroom does not copy the source files anywhere, and so if the disk/drive disappears, so do the requisite source files. Lightroom still has a "preview" you can see, but you can't edit or export..

PS - I'm just a user like you (it's not my software..).

Rob

• 4. Re: how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?
                potterphoto Level 1

that is probably what happened, however I used 3 disks, so inserting one

will not help.

I also copied the files that were on the 3 disks into a new folder on my

computer.  Then I tried to import them, they showed up but were grayed out,

not letting me import them again.

• 5. Re: how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?
                  areohbee Level 5

Do not re-import, they are already imported, that's probably why they were grayed out in import dialog box.

Just relink the photos to their new location using instructions here:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 6. Re: how can I point lightroom to find missing file folder?
                    potterphoto Level 1

I will print out the instructions and try again in the morning.  Thank you

for your help.

Goodnite!