Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable stroke width after effects

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I've been doing a lot of growing dotted lines in after effects with shape layers and by using 'trim paths'. What I wanted to do, was have a varying stroke width on that shape layer. For example, have one end thicker than the other (Like the image below). This is easy to do in Adobe Illustrator, since you just use the 'width tool', so I was wondering if AE has something similar?

I already know about the 'write on' and 'stroke' effects, but I'd like to avoid using those since I'm already using the awesome 'trim paths' effect. Are there any other presets I could look at? Maybe even one that fakes it?

Cheers,

Shannon

Dotted line question-01.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, AE doesn't have any such thing. You could try the various particle systems and modulate particle sizes by keyframing some properties or using parameter maps, but outside that I don't see much. Even if you were to buy e.g. Plexus and use the various options there to control dot sizes it would still not compare to AI's function. Some of that stuff may of course also benefit from using expressions down to the point of manually placing individual circles and animating their scale...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to do this is to start in Illustrator, create your tapered lines there, Expand appearance in Illustrator, then import as a comp in AE and convert vector layers to shapes. There are two ways to animate the creation of a tapered line. If you use Offset Paths instead of Trim Paths then the line starts growing from the thinnest point and moves to the thinnest point. If you use Trim Paths then you must have a straight tapered line and you have to set the right first vertex and then animate both start and end values to make the line start at the thinnest end and extend to the thickest end.

Here's what a comp looks like:

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 12.10.13 AM.png

Here's a zip file for you with both a CC and a CS6 project inside. Sometimes AE is buggy creating shape layers from vector layers. If that happens you can add a stroke, then just turn the stroke off in the AE project. I hope this helps. There is usually a way to do what you want in AE if you think outside the box. Here's what it looks like (Click on the animated gif to see it)

taperedLine.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate in Adobe that. Why they can't resolve a such a simple thing in after effects? 5 minutes to animate a variable stroke? Ridiculous....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good roundabout. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers guys

It's unfortunate that AE doesn't do it as simply as Illustrator, but thank goodness for all the work-arounds

Cheers!!

Shan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU CAN DO IT IN AE

I was looking for the same thing and found this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=613&v=9c97vXvDYBQ

You just manipulate the "Brush Time Properties" setting in the "Write On" effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hope afte effects will include a stroke with width variation manipulation like anime studio software* not effect write on* i would like  the stroke stays in footage all time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can with 3dstroke from trap code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text based layers seem to have an option for Stroke width animation.

0JjPipV.png

Mind you this is the 2018 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can animate the stroke width in text layers and shape layers but you cannot taper either one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can fake it by using repeaters

to create a stroke effect. Adjust The scale to create the taper and adjust the number of instances to trim the start and end points. you can also animate offset to help get the effect you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is also new(ish), free and worth a look.

Does exactly what you need it to do (very late to the party here but I thought i'd offer it up as it helped me with what I needed to do!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNfUS871dg

Thicc Stroke is a free, variable-width stroke plugin, you can make fat A$$ curves and gradient-along-paths with this powerful and infinitely customizable tool for AE CS6 and up! 📟 Download it from our site: https://bit.ly/ThiccStroke 🔴 Subscribe To Keep Up To Date With Plugin Releases, and ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines