11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 9:26 AM by JimHess

SONY and .arw

Claude Marchand

computer Apple ( new )

I baugh Lightroom 5, installed a month ago. ver 5.6  ( updated )

I also downloaded Adobe DNG Converter.  ver.8.6    ( updated )

I tryed everything to see the RAW picture from my Alpha 6000 (.arw ), and I did'nt succeide ! Can you help me ?

Thanx in advence,

Claude Marchand

• 1. Re: SONY and .arw
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does Lightroom display any error messages?

• 2. Re: SONY and .arw
            Claude Marchand Level 1

It says DNG  and Lightroom cannot reed the file, or there is no files to convert.

• 3. Re: SONY and .arw

Please clarify, are you talking about Lightroom, or are you talking about the DNG converter?

• 4. Re: SONY and .arw
                Claude Marchand Level 1

Lightroom cannot reed the files .arw

I tryed with DNG to convert the files and it says there is no files to convert ( when I clic on the file ( .arw )

• 5. Re: SONY and .arw

According to the list of supported cameras, if you truly have Lightroom 5.6 installed then you should be able to open the raw files from your camera.Since you are on a Mac, are you sure you are running Lightroom 5.6? If you had a previous version of Lightroom 5, updating to 5.6 does not automatically remove the previous version. So that is one thing for you to check.

As far as the DNG converter is concerned, be sure to pay attention to the prompt in the DNG converter when it is asking for the location of your raw files. It is asking for the FOLDERSo when you are browsing for a location using that locator in the DNG converter, choose the folder, but don't open it. Then the converter will convert all the files in that folder.

• 6. Re: SONY and .arw
                    Claude Marchand Level 1

OK,

I baught Lightroom at FutureShop.

I installed it  ( ver. 5.0  I think ) and updated it to ver 5.6

Should I delete Lightroom and reinstall ver. 5.6 again ?  I do not want to loose the second update.

Also, you write that I don't need DNG with Lightroom ver 5.6 ?

Claude

• 7. Re: SONY and .arw

If you are talking about the Sony Alpha a6000, according to this list it has been supported since Lightroom 8.4:

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

So unless you really want to convert your images to DNG intentionally, it shouldn't be necessary. Uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom will not do anything to your work because all of your work you are stored in the catalog which isn't removed when you uninstall the program. But you shouldn't need to do that. Can you click on help/about Lightroom and verify that you are actually running Lightroom 5.6?

• 8. Re: SONY and .arw
                        Claude Marchand Level 1

I verified again,  and It is ver.  5.6

• 9. Re: SONY and .arw

Okay, can we please have some details?

What happens when you try to import the raw files using Lightroom?

Are any of your files being displayed in Lightroom either as images or as blank (gray) images?

What error messages, if any, are you receiving?

The more details you can give, the better we can help you. According to what you have written so far, the raw files from your camera should open using Lightroom. And you don't actually need the DNG converter unless you actually want to use it.

Just one further question since you having given any details. Have you actually tried to import the files using the Lightroom import dialog? I'm sorry to keep having to ask questions, but the more details you can provide the better.

• 10. Re: SONY and .arw
                            Claude Marchand Level 1

Amaizing....

It work, yesterday all I could see was 27 gray squares!

Jim, great thx for your help,

I will delete the DNG program. One more question, is there some program I should download that might be usefull in photography?

Claude M

• 11. Re: SONY and .arw

I'm not really sure what you mean by "Useful in photography". But if you are talking about training, and if you are new to Lightroom, you might want to consider watching this series:

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

I'm glad you got things sorted. I don't know that I did anything that really helped you. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to leave my computer now for a while. If you have more questions, hopefully someone else will be able to help you.