3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 1:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Timeline won't render in Premiere Elements 12 (and music video editing advice)

tallcmp172

I have a section of video I'm editing that won't render. I've read some similar threads but still have a question about how I can edit the clips to 'force' a render.

I'm running PE 12 on a Core i3 laptop running Windows 8, so not a huge amount of processing power. I don't have an orange line above the timeline over these clips and I understand PE has decided that it's already giving me the best possible preview quality and doesn't need to render this section. However, it's four quick edits in time to some music and when I preview it back my computer clearly can't process the video and audio fast enough because I get very jerky video so I can't verify that the cuts are perfectly aligned to the drum beats.

I've been exporting the whole four minutes just to review about five seconds of video in the middle to make sure it's synched, and this is getting really frustrating as I'm having to make frame by frame adjustments to improve the sync.

Is there anything I can do to each clip, like adjust an image setting, to force PE to give me an orange line and want to render this section?

Just as an aside to anyone who edits music video type clips - if you're making, say, four quick cuts to four drum beats in a bar, do you find the audio/visual sync works best if the cut is on the frame the drum beat attack starts on, or does it seem more natural if it's one or two frames after the initial attack so it's 'mid drum beat'? I'm tending to find just after the initial attack looks/sounds better for me - but maybe that's something to do with the delay in my PC processing the frame!

Thanks for any advice,

Chris.

• 1. Re: Timeline won't render in Premiere Elements 12 (and music video editing advice)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Please excuse the questions, but I did not want to take anything for granted...are you sure that you are looking above the Timeline content for the render indicator line? Assuming that you are OK with that.....

Are the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar placed so that they span the entire content of the Timeline, including this five second content which you say cannot be rendered. Remember rendering does not fix problems, rather it is a preview that helps you to realize that a problem exists sooner than later. Consequently, please confirm if an orange line persists over that five second content even if you press the Render key above the Timeline.

Have you expanded the Timeline content to the maximum with the Zoom Out Zoom In Slider above the Timeline get the best look at the content on the Timeline in contrast to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor?

Have you gone to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and set the Audio Display Format to Milliseconds if you are involved in audio edits?

Have you been nudging audio in sync with video using shortcuts, such as...

As you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the left or right arrow key once (one tap = 1 frame nudge)

As you hold down the Shift+Alt keys of the computer main keyboard, tap the left or right arrow key once (one tap = 5 frames nudge)

I would suggest that exploration and experimentation are the best tools with which to work to achieve a specific effect for your specific

situation.

Please review and then let us know if any of the above targets your questions about your workflow.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Timeline won't render in Premiere Elements 12 (and music video editing advice)
            tallcmp172 Level 1

Thanks, ATR!

Yes, I was meaning the line above the timeline, not in the clip and the work area I'm talking about is active between the grey tabs, and I'm zoomed in all the way.

I have actually tried what I thought might work above - and it did! I adjusted the exposure on each clip, which made an orange line appear, then undid the exposure change and the orange line stayed! Now I can render this area and see a decent preview in time to the music.

Thanks for your advice about the edit menu and the audio nudging, that's new to me.

Chris.

• 3. Re: Timeline won't render in Premiere Elements 12 (and music video editing advice)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the reply with the good news that you have resolved your issue.

Several times I have successfully used "forced Timeline rendering" to solve certain Timeline preview issues.

Typically, I right click the video clip, select Time Stretch, and set the Speed % to 99.

Best wishes

ATR