4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 12:32 PM by pixxxel schubser

Adjust tracking (character spacing) of selected text

kevinljohnston

I am looking for a script that will allow me to apply a specific tracking value to selected text in InDesign. I'm not even an amateur in scripting.

I found the following script in the referenced article: Script:  Adjust tracking (character spacing) of text

/*

<javascriptresource>

<name>Character Tracking...</name>

<enableinfo>true</enableinfo>

<menu>automate</menu>

<about>Adjust the kerning.</about>

<category>Typography</category>

</javascriptresource>

*/

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

var targettext = app.activeDocument.activeLayer.textItem;

targettext.tracking = parseInt(prompt("Select the tracking value", 0));

}

This looks like it's approximately what I would like to do. Two problems, I think it is just designed for Photoshop(?), and secondly, I want to use it for only selected text, not the entire page. Also,I would like to apply the script to a keyboard shortcut (I assume that's possible).

Can anyone assist in this? Sorry to ask, but I've got a large two-column document with large amounts of tracking to do and looking for shortcuts for clicking or typing in the tracking drop-down box.

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Adjust tracking (character spacing) of selected text
          pixxxel schubser Level 5

For InDesign?

Why you need a script? This is always built in and works with selected text!

InDesign Help | Default keyboard shortcuts

Have fun

• 2. Re: Adjust tracking (character spacing) of selected text
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Your sample does indeed not look like it's using InDesign's version of the DOM (Document Object Model). Fortunately, if you already selected some text, it's dead easy:

app.selection[0].tracking = 100;

where you can set the "100" to any value that is valid for tracking. For added nicenessness, if you really have to set this value a lot, assign a hotkey to this script: open the Keyboard Shortcut Editor, scroll down to Scripts, and select yours, then set some key combo.

See Adobe InDesign CS5.5 (7.5) Object Model JS: Text for tracking, and a lot more properties you can immediately assign.

• 3. Re: Adjust tracking (character spacing) of selected text
              kevinljohnston Level 1

Thanks to both Plxxxel and Jongware!

Both of your answers were helpful - I have combined use of both.

Plxxxel - I was aware there was a shortcut (Alt+Left Arrow, Alt+Right Arrow) for incrementing tracking by the amount set in Edit, Preferences, Units & Increments, Kerning & Tracking.  What I didn't realize was that Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow, Ctrl+Alt+Left Arrow increments/decrements that setting by 5 times. So, for my usage, I have set Tracking at 1.  Then I use the Crtl+Alt arrow combinations for rougher (5 incr.) spacing and Alt arrow combinations for fine (1 incr.) tuning. That actually is the practical solution for me.

Jongware - Thanks for your scripting solution! Your answer was correct according to what I asked in my original question.

I found it can be more useful if I adapt it to increment additional tracking amounts:

/*

<javascriptresource>

<name>Character Tracking. Increase</name>

<enableinfo>true</enableinfo>

<menu>automate</menu>

<about>Adjust the kerning.</about>

<category>Typography</category>

</javascriptresource>

*/

app.selection[0].tracking = app.selection[0].tracking + 10;

[Similar script for Character Tracking.Decrease.]

So assigning these scripts to keyboard shortcuts like Alt+1, Q, I have:

Alt +  arrow = increment by 1

Ctrl+Alt + arrow = increment by 5

Alt 1/Q = increment by 10

Actually, my needs are sufficiently met by just using the built-in Alt and Ctrl+Alt arrow combinations, but thought I would document the simple script alternative in case anyone could make use of it.

I think I have graduated to becoming an amateur.

Thanks again to both of you for your help!

• 4. Re: Adjust tracking (character spacing) of selected text
                pixxxel schubser Level 5

Hi kevinljohnston,

glad to help you.

And I'm with you. Using both answers is a good practice.

Have fun

@all admins, why isn't there no possibility to mark any answers as helpful. IMHO it is always a hard decision to say which answer is really correct. That was much better before the Jive update!