5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 1:19 PM by MW Design

Restart numbers after previous level using XML in InDesign CC

Baldwin_AAOS

So I'm trying to repurpose xml from an xml publishing system for use in InDesign.

This particular book is for an orthopaedic medical coding system. Basically 2 sets of numbered lists exist on every page. I am trying to get every list to start at 1 on each new page. Instead, the numbering picks up right where it left off on the previous page. The xml could possibly be structured in a way that will not allow for the numbering I am aiming for. The structure is as follows:

<included_head></included_head>

<included></included>

<included></included>

<included></included>

<included></included>

<included></included>

<included></included>

<not_included_head></not_included_head>

<not_included></not_included>

Each <included> or <not_included> tag is a list item. So after the <included_head> tag the list should ALWAYS start at 1. Same goes for the <not_included_head>

Any insight or clever work arounds would be appreciated! Thanks, Charlie

screen_shot.jpgincluded_style.jpgnotincluded_style.jpg

• 1. Re: Restart numbers after previous level using XML in InDesign CC
          MW Design Level 4

If I am looking at your screen shot showing your structure panel properly...

Make both your included_head and your not_included_head a Level 1 numbered paragraph style without anything in the Number: field for the paragraph style.

Make both your included and not_included a Level 2 numbered paragraph style with the desired number format in the Number" field for the paragraph style and the Restart Numbers at This Level After: set to Any Previous Level.

You should then end up with the numbering restarting. ID has always been this way. I would consider it a bug, Adobe evidently doesn't. BTW, I stopped at CS6, so in CC it may or may not be different. The screen shot below is what I end up with using those settings with my sample XML I made from your simple node sample above.

capture-001884.png

• 2. Re: Restart numbers after previous level using XML in InDesign CC
            Baldwin_AAOS Level 1

I've input the parameters you specified for my new paragraph styles. Page 1 turns out fine. However, after page one the numbering doesn't start back at 1. It is still a continuation from the previous page throughout the book. Here is page 1 and page 2 to show the number continuation. Thanks for your help!

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

• 3. Re: Restart numbers after previous level using XML in InDesign CC
              MW Design Level 4

I would actually need to look at your file. There likely is some other paragraph style issue not allowing the reset or some issue in the XML itself. Being the lazy sod I am, I just replicated the XML several times for the XML to flow into more pages. This is page 10.

capture-001897.png

• 4. Re: Restart numbers after previous level using XML in InDesign CC
                Baldwin_AAOS Level 1

What is the easiest way to post an InDesign file? Here is the xml structure. This would be three pages of codes.

<cpt_code>CPT Code: 11010</cpt_code>

<code_text>Debridement including removal of foreign material at the site of an open fracture and/or an open dislocation (eg, excisional debridement); skin and subcutaneous tissues</code_text>

<included_head>Services included in the global service package:</included_head>

<included>local infiltration of medication(s), anesthetic, or contrast agent before, during, or at the conclusion of the operation</included>

<included>surgical approach, with necessary identification, isolation, and protection of anatomic structures, including hemostasis and nerve stimulation, or minor skin scar revision</included>

<included>obtaining wound specimen(s) for culture</included>

<included>wound irrigation</included>

<included>intraoperative photo(s) and/or video recording, excluding ionizing radiation</included>

<included>intraoperative supervision and positioning of imaging and/or monitoring equipment by operating surgeon or assistant(s)</included>

<included>insertion, placement, and removal of surgical drain(s), re-infusion device(s), irrigation tube(s), or catheter(s)</included>

<included>closure of wound and repair of tissues divided for initial surgical exposure, partial or complete</included>

<included>application of initial dressing, orthosis, or continuous passive motion, except where specifically excluded from global package</included>

<included>suture or staple removal by operating surgeon or designee</included>

<included>exploration of penetrating wound (separate procedure) (eg, 20103)</included>

<included>active wound care management (eg, 97602)</included>

<not_included_head>Services not included in the global service package:</not_included_head>

<not_included>supplies and medication (eg, code 99070, HCPCS Level II codes)</not_included>

<not_included>insertion, removal, or exchange of nonbiodegradable drug delivery implants (eg, 11981&#x2013;11983)</not_included>

<not_included>initial application of splint or cast</not_included>

<not_included>subsequent splinting, strapping, or casting</not_included>

<not_included>closed/open treatment of fracture(s) or dislocation(s)</not_included>

<not_included>repair of traumatic wound, nerves, blood vessels, tendons, ligaments, joints, and other traumatically injured anatomic structures</not_included>

<not_included>fasciotomy(ies) for elevated interstitial compartment pressures (eg, 25020, 25023, 27600&#x2013;27602)</not_included>

<fee_period>Medicare global fee period: 10 days</fee_period>

<cpt_code>CPT Code: 11011</cpt_code>

<code_text>Debridement including removal of foreign material at the site of an open fracture and/or an open dislocation (eg, excisional debridement); skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscle fascia, and muscle</code_text>

<included>local infiltration of medication(s), anesthetic, or contrast agent before, during, or at the conclusion of the operation</included>

<included>surgical approach, with necessary identification, isolation, and protection of anatomic structures, including hemostasis and nerve stimulation, or minor skin scar revision</included>

<included>intraoperative photo(s) and/or video recording, excluding ionizing radiation</included>

<included>intraoperative supervision and positioning of imaging and/or monitoring equipment by operating surgeon or assistant(s)</included>

<included>insertion, placement, and removal of surgical drain(s), re-infusion device(s), irrigation tube(s), or catheter(s)</included>

<included>closure of wound and repair of tissues divided for initial surgical exposure, partial or complete</included>

<included>application of initial dressing, orthosis, or continuous passive motion, except where specifically excluded from global package</included>

<included>exploration of penetrating wound (separate procedure) (eg, 20103)</included>

<not_included_head>Services not included in the global service package:</not_included_head>

<not_included>supplies and medication (eg, code 99070, HCPCS Level II codes)</not_included>

<not_included>insertion, removal, or exchange of nonbiodegradable drug delivery implants (eg, 11981&#x2013;11983)</not_included>

<not_included>closed/open treatment of fracture(s) or dislocation(s)</not_included>

<not_included>repair of traumatic wound, nerves, blood vessels, tendons, ligaments, joints, and other traumatically injured anatomic structures</not_included>

<not_included>fasciotomy(ies) for elevated interstitial compartment pressures (eg, 25020, 25023, 27600&#x2013;27602)</not_included>

<fee_period>Medicare global fee period: 0 days</fee_period>

<cpt_code>CPT Code: 11012</cpt_code>

<code_text>Debridement including removal of foreign material at the site of an open fracture and/or an open dislocation (eg, excisional debridement); skin, subcutaneous tissue, muscle fascia, muscle, and bone</code_text>

<fee_period>Medicare global fee period: 0 days</fee_period>

• 5. Re: Restart numbers after previous level using XML in InDesign CC
                  MW Design Level 4

I am in between meetings sucking down some coffee so I didn't take the time to rework my ID file for presentation.

What you would need to do if you want to share the file is first, remember I am using ID CS6. So you would need to save it out so I could open it. Second, you would need to upload a ZIP or other compressed archive of anything I would need. I doubt I need fonts as I doubt it is a font issue. then upload the ZIP to dropbox.com.

Once uploaded, unless you want the public at large to have access, feel free to click on my name, send me a PM or email with the link to download. I'll be back at the office sometime late afternoon or early evening. Just depends on if I get stuck in downtown or not.

Mike

capture-001898.png