6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 2:30 PM by JJMack

update failed - Hmm.

PrairieBadger Level 1

I have CS5 Extended.

I get a notification for updates.  But I get the following message when trying to install updates:  "Some updated failed to install."  (Actually all of my updates failed to install).  When I click on the link on the bottom that says "Contact Customer Service for further assistance," I get this on the webpage that pops up: This serial number is not for a qualifying product. Anyone know how to fix this?

I have installed updates before, when Photoshop was installed my computer running Windows XP.  Then in April I updated my computer from Windows XP to Windows 7.  I did a dual boot install of Windows 7 (keeping Windows XP temporarily, until I knew all programs wuld work in Windows 7), then about a month ago removed Windows XP so my computer now only has Windows 7.  I now cannot install updates.

I have a valid serial number and product key.  I have the box that CS5 came in.

I went to Adobe's registration page to reenter my serial number.  This webpage is here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/gpr/index.cfm?loc=en_us&v=1&nf=0&1001=&email=#

When I tried to register, I got this message:  "Your serial number has already been registered. Products can only be registered once."

I went to another webpage (to 'redeem') the serial number and I got this message: "The code you entered is invalid, please try again."

I have contacted Adobe support (via their Chat rooms) and the three different people I talked with did not know how to fix the problem - were basically incompetent (sorry for being so negative, but they seemed to know next to nothing on this). One of them finally told me to post on the Adobe forums.

• 1. Re: update failed - Hmm.
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

As an experiment, try installing the photoshop cs5 12.0.4 update from here:

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop 12.0.4 update for Adobe Photoshop CS5

Does it work?

It's also possible you need to update to a later version of the Adobe Application Manager:

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

• 2. Re: update failed - Hmm.
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

PrairieBadger wrote:

I went to Adobe's registration page to reenter my serial number.  This webpage is here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/gpr/index.cfm?loc=en_us&v=1&nf=0&1001=&email=#

When you use that link and are signed into Adobe.com with your Adobe User ID and Password you should see a page the has the Products you have registered.  If you have ever activated CS5  you will see it listed as one of your registered products.  If you then click on the listed CS5 you Product key will be displayed.   Use that key when you install CS5.  If you have an available activation CS5 should install and be activated. If you have used you two activations  you need to deactivate one of the first.  If you can not deactivate one because of a disk crash or some other machine failure you need Adobe assistance to activate your new machine install. When I use that link the page I get displayed look like this:

Capture.jpg

Also this link may help with your update problems. Use the CC Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems | CC, CS3-CS6

• 3. Re: update failed - Hmm.
              PrairieBadger Level 1

Hello R_Kelly,

I tried the "experiment" you recommended.  I downloaded the 55MB update file, then installed the update from the explicit download.  The update installed.  Now when I bring up Photoshop (in my copy of CS5-Extended), and click on "Help --> Updates" - that update (Photoshop 12.0.4) no longer appears - the other 4 updates, however, still appear. 

So I guess this means there is nothing in my copy of CS5-Extended (on my computer) that is preventing the installation - it is something else.  This may be an important clue.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: update failed - Hmm.
                PrairieBadger Level 1

HI JJMack,

I appreciate the info.  I did as you suggested and to my surprise, my copy was registered on 8/11/14.  I installed it and (I thought I activated on Windows 7) in March (approximately) this year.  So the 8/11 date must be the result of me trying to fix my status with Adobe, and something happened though I did not know it.

Over the last few days I have read that I was supposed to deactivate my copy of CS5-Extended (bring up Photoshop, then go to Help --> deactivate) before uninstalling Photoshop on Windows XP that I was going to replace with Windows 7.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 (not an upgrade install), so had to reinstall CS5-Extended.  It may be that my issues are a result of not deactivating it before changing my operating system.

enough chatter ... I will go see if things are now working.

If I need to contact Adobe Assistance ... do you by chance have a phone number?  I have called Adobe Customer Care (800) 833-6687, selected the Photoshop option, and was told this option is not eligible for talking with someone, directed me to the forums or chat rooms.  (Chat room people - I have chatted three times - none of them had any clue whatsoever on what might be wrong or how to fix it).

• 5. Re: update failed - Hmm.
                  Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

You can search for the updates you need here:

Product updates

Or you might try installing this later version of the adobe application manager

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

• 6. Re: update failed - Hmm.
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Adobe support is not what it should be.  But if your problem turn out to be that your two activation are in use and you can not deactivate one because of a machine failure makes that impossible.  Only Adobe can help you. Their customer support is able to help for I have had to have them help me with that problem twice in the 20 years I been using Photoshop.   You need to get an Adobe support person to do their job and not pass the buck.

I been using Photoshop since version 3 around 1994-95 time frame I skipped version 4 and 6. Versions 3 and 5 are no longer listed in my products. So it look like I've only used Adobe product since 2001.