22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 7:48 AM by A.T. Romano

Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads

fishmor Level 1

I have a project I shot mainly with a T4i in 60 fps, along with some AVCHD footage from a Canon XA10 in 30p.  Obviously when I bring the first clip in, premiere recognizes the footage somewhat and applies a preset to it.  I'm not sure what project settings to edit in - premiere calls the 60p footage from my Canon t4i AVCHD 720 p.  When I go to upload this to youtube, my glidecam footage looks lousy/shaky and it's not.  The footage from the XA10 looks pretty good.  I've tried a variety of uploading options including flash video, hd for youtube, and even saved it as an mpeg and uploaded directly from youtube.  Same results.  When the project settings were set to the Xa10 footage and the t4i footage was rendered, it looked horribly pixely.  I need these glidecam shots to look good and I'm wondering what I need to do.  I also don't want to edit this thing down and have to do it again.  I can't seem to change the project settings once I have started.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This video will ultimately be linked or put on a website.

Eric

• 1. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
          fishmor Level 1

by the way, I'm running premiere 11 on windows 7 with 8 G's of RAM 

• 2. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
            A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Premiere Elements allows for only one project preset. So when you have Timeline content with more than one format, you need to set your project strategy priority. In Premiere Elements 11, the project takes over setting the project preset based on the properties of the first video dragged to the Timeline. So, what you do to control that is to set the project preset manually to match the properties of what you are selecting as your prime source before you import media into the project. All that being said....

Let us do a check list on what you have in the way of source media....

Canon t4i

AVCHD 1280 x 720 @ 60 progressive frames per second

Canon AX10

..............................@ 30 progressive frames per second

Let me stop here and wait for a response on....with the Canon AX10, what is the frame size...1920 x 1080 or something else?

Have you been trying to upload your Timelines to YouTube with the Premiere Elements Online feature or have you been exporting the Timeline to

a file saved to the computer hard drive and then that file uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site? What is the estimated file size and duration of

the upload?

ATR

• 3. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
              fishmor Level 1

A.T.

The XA10 footage is 1920 x 1080 full HD.  I have tried a couple timeline uploads with the youtube HD 1920 x 1080 preset, Flash video for youtube, and also saved the video file using MPEG 2 1920 x 1080 option, and then uploading from youtube.  The file size of the MPEG is 250 MB and the video is 1 min long, just a test at this point.  The problem is that the uploaded glidecam footage is jittery/shaky, and it does not look like that from premiere's timeline.  So I'm thinking I need to change something before I really dive into this project.

Eric

• 4. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                fishmor Level 1

Glidecam footage is from the t4i - the 30 p footage from the XA10 looks fine.

• 5. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

This is the plan.....

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace.

2. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

3. In the Change Settings area, change the project preset to:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Before you exit that area, in the new project dialog with your DSLR setting, make sure you have a check mark next to

"Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of there.

4. Back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/ to bring your 1080p30 and then your 720p60 into Project

Assets from where you drag it to the TImeline Video Track 1.

What does the rendered Timeline content look like when viewed at playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor.

Whatever it looks like there, make your quality determination on how the export plays in your computer player.

5.When you get to export....

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

(What is the estimated file size and duration)

7. Upload the AVCHD.mp4 file export to YouTube at the YouTube web site provided you have an account there that will allow you the file size and file duration of the uploaded file.

Have you done any of the above before. It should give you good results.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                    fishmor Level 1

I will try this tomorrow - thank you

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

• 7. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Thanks for considering the suggestions.

We will be watching for your results. Lots of variations, but I think what was suggested should be a good start and maybe even the final answer.

ATR

• 8. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                        fishmor Level 1

A couple things on this

When I bring in the t4i 60p glidecam footage, it shows up as yellow, and when I render it, it turns green as expected and it IS smoother as far as the glidecam footage but there is lots of grain when I playback from the timeline, which I wouldn't expect after it's rendered.  I went ahead saved as you suggested, and it is smoother, but not the quality you see when you look at the footage directly - still some jitteriness.  Also I forgot to mention that I also have t4i footage at 30p in this project, and that looks fine as well.  So what it comes down to is I need this glidecam footage looking just as smooth as can be - otherwise why use a glidecam! - all of the glidecam footage is from the t4i at 60p. 

• 9. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Thanks for the reply.

Let us back up for the moment....what happens when...

Project Preset Manually Set (see prior post for details related to setting up manually project preset)

NTSC

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p60

When you import the t4i footage into Premiere Elements 11 (Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets/Timeline Video Track 1)

a. there should be no orange line over the Timeline content...that is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview of what you

are seeing at playback of that Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. But, do you see no colored line or an orange render indicator line?

b. With no colored line or green line over that content, is the best quality playback acceptable, lacking in grain or other that distracts from its quality?

But, just in case note, what are we dealing with before this current suggestion to define the situation

a. grain in the video

b. jittery motion, assuming this is not a camera shake since you are using the Glidecam to hold the camera in place during recording

(could any of that we classed as a "flicker" look in spite of the fact that you are not working with interlaced video but rather progressive)?

Looking forward to the results from the suggestion where we isolate the 720p60.

ATR

• 10. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                            fishmor Level 1

I am currently uploading your above suggestion - The DSLR setting should have been 720p60 since that is most of the footage.  I manually set the project to this like you suggested.  The 30p footage and 1080i footage from the XA10 come in with an orange line, which means they need to be rendered, right?  Well after I render them, the line turns green and those clips are the ones that look grainy from playback.  I thought they should look better after rendering.  They actually look better when I leave them orange.  In any case, I am saving with your above suggestions except I chose DSLR 720p60 instead of 1080p30 since this is my main footage, and the footage I want to look really good.  I will upload to youtube and let you know the results. 

• 11. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                              fishmor Level 1

It's a little better with those settings, but still a little jittery - it looks much better in playback.  I'm ready to try something else! 

• 12. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Those are the ideal settings for that 720p60 footage in Premiere Elements. Alternatively, you could look at

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD-LITE 720p60

This isolation troubleshooting has taken out of the problem equation

a. any negative effects of scaling the 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080

b. any negative effects of going from a 60p to 30p frame rate

This is not interlaced video where we can apply Reverse Field Dominance, Anti-flicker, Always Deinterlace.

You should be beyond that with the video recorded with a progressive frame rate.

At this moment (before reading this current post), what does the export of this still a little jittery Timeline content look like when the export is

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 HD 720p60

Let us work on this 720p60 footage isolated and problems defined before we attempt to add it to the 1920 x 1080p30 footage.

Have you shot any new footage from the t4i camera? And, does it present the same in Premiere Elements as does the current 720p60

files from that camera.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 13. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                  fishmor Level 1

That last option is what I used when I exported - still a little jittery - I have shot footage since and it presents just fine on the timeline and in playback with the new project settings

• 14. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Thanks for the reply.

We get an entirely different troubleshooting perspective with

I have shot footage since and it presents just fine on the timeline and in playback with the new project settings

Reflecting on this, can you spot any difference(s) in the camera settings when recording these earlier videos versus what you have shot

recently and are OK in Premiere Elements import/edit/export?

Are these earlier 720p60 videos must salvage footage?

Would it be worth the time to do a MediaInfo properties readout for before (not OK) and now (OK) for the videos involved?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

If you do this, just be very careful in the download and install so that you do not pick up any unwanted nuisance carry alongs with the MediaInfo.

ATR

• 15. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                      fishmor Level 1

I'm not sure I understand your point - my current project footage presents just fine on the the timeline now with current settings.  The problem is that when I save and upload, it becomes jittery, although a bit less with your last recommendations

• 16. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

We might have gotten out of sync on the message exchanges...please confirm

a. When you preview the rendered Timeline for the 720p60 in the program's Edit area monitor, it looks fine. Is that correct?

b. If you export that Timeline 720p60 to the AVCHD.mp4 file (Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets =

MP4 HD720p60) and play it back on one of the computer players, how does that play, fine or jittery in any degree?

c. Where is this jittery occurring - only when viewing your HD 720p60 on YouTube or before the export to file from Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 17. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                          fishmor Level 1

Yes maybe a little

a.  yes - looks good and no jitter; oddly enough, the footage from the XA10 and the 30fps from the t4i look a bit grainy after rendering

b. these files play back great with windows media player

c.  the jitter occurs after uploading and viewing on youtube

I think we are getting closer?

• 18. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Have you read any of Phil's thread and his concerns about Premiere Elements files uploaded to YouTube/Facebook?

Upload to Facebook from Premiere Elements 11 fails

I hesitated to mentioned this since his issues I believe start with an interlaced source rather than a progressive source and had some different angles.

But the bottom lines there of note which may be common to both of you

a. Internet download times before the viewer can watch a stabilized video

and

b. The default viewing setting of the YouTube player with regard to HD video...viewed at YouTube's 240p or even 480p, the results of excellent HD video can look

mediocre until you reset to the YouTube player HD set.

So, I would ask "Are you looking at the fully downloaded view of the video to your computer?" and "Are you adjusting the YouTube player's default viewing setting to agree with the resolution of your video that you uploaded for YouTube viewing?" And, remember, your upload is being converted by YouTube and that conversion is dictated by YouTube.

Advanced encoding settings - YouTube Help.

ATR

• 19. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                              fishmor Level 1

It sounds like your saying that when youtube says the video is ready, it may not actually be fully processed.  If that is the case, I would agree, the video seems to look smoother with time.  The first 12 hrs or so, it was rough, but it seems to look better now for some reason - less artifacty and glidecam shots look better - I also wonder if it depends on the particular connection, mobile, direct, wifi, etc.  Sometimes it gooks great on a phone, and sometimes not.  In any case, I guess I am somewhat satisfied.  The 480 720 setting on youtube doesn't seem to make much difference actually.  I wonder if I should be using premiere pro - does it have tools or better processing for videos?  Here is the video - American Island Days 2014 - YouTube

Thanks for your help

• 20. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

fishmor

Great video. Watched YouTube via Firefox (latest version 31).

As before watched at the HD setting, full screen. After it was fully downloaded the first time around, the second run through played throughout without interruptions.

ATR

• 21. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                                  fishmor Level 1

thanks.  I still think that part of it is that youtube doesn't deal with camera movement very well.  Anything I put on a tripod looks great, just like it does in saved files and played back from the timeline.

Eric 

• 22. Re: Project settings, mixed footage and youtube uploads
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

In the near future I need to take a closer look at the quality of the uploads to these social websites, comparing interlaced and progressive uploads and other aspects including YouTube conversion of the upload.

ATR