5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 8:15 AM by DdeGannes

what to buy into

minnag

Have tried Lightroom for 30 days and really liked it. I want to buy into this and note that I can buy it outright together with Photoshop from various internet sites reasonably cheaply.  When I go on the Adobe site I am only offered licences for a year for a price close to that for the outright purchase on said internet sites.  The difference seems to be that Adobe Creative cloud is included as part of the package.  I appreciate that storage space for photos is a headache.  I have a couple of external drives that I use for this.  What are the advantages if any of going through the Adobe site and buying the bundle including, Photoshop, Lightroom and Creative Cloud as opposed to buying the first two programmes outright over the internet?  Thanks in advance for your help.  It might assist you to know that I am a keen amateur photographer and probably need to store around 4,000 pictures a year.  I am not particularly knowledgeable about technical matters but am not technophobic.

• 1. Re: what to buy into
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Seems like there's some confusion here.

Have tried Lightroom for 30 days and really liked it. I want to buy into this and note that I can buy it outright together with Photoshop from various internet sites reasonably cheaply.

Beware of too-good-to-true offers on the web - they're often pirated (stolen) and the serial numbers provided may or may not be accepted by Adobe when you install the software.

The difference seems to be that Adobe Creative cloud is included as part of the package.

Adobe Creative Cloud is not a product included in a package. It is Adobe's generic name for their subscription offerings.

You cannot buy the Creative Cloud - you subscribe.

With Creative Cloud offerings you sign up for a membership and pay a monthly fee, every month, for as long as you want to use the software. When you stop paying the monthly fee, the software stops working.

The major advantage with the Creative Cloud is that all major upgrades and minor updates are included in the membership fee for no extra cost.

• 2. Re: what to buy into
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

And - for further clarity - Creative Cloud is not an online storage/back-up solution along the lines of Crashplan.

• 3. Re: what to buy into
              minnag Level 1

Thanks for your answer.  Things are a little clearer.  So in other words unless I buy from Adobe, I may find that the product I get is fairly worthless. Amazon, for instance, through their marketplace, sells perpetual licences.  Would you avoid this?

• 4. Re: what to buy into
                minnag Level 1

Correction, it is sold by Amazon itself rather than a member of the marketplace.

• 5. Re: what to buy into
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

That's where I buy mine each time there is a new version. I live outside the US and do not have a US Credit Card to satisfy Adobe's requirements. Never had a problem with any products sold by Amazon.