14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2014 12:04 AM by John J David

Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6

John J David Level 1

The character "Ahat" appears between the words of and Celanese in InDesign CS6. I am unable to find this character using find/change option. Even i tried to use Glyph search. But result remains "Cannot find match".

Please note that the same character has appeared while generating PDF. But unable to find and replace this character in InDesign by using the option "Text", "GREP", "Glyph" in Find/Change palette.

AHat.jpg

Help to solve this issue in InDesign.

JA

• 1. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Select this paragraph, then switch "Ligatures" off in the Character panel. Does the weird character disappear?

If it does, this indicates some conflict with more than one version of the exact same font, and you will have to check your system where the duplicate is.

• 2. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
            jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

This glyph is used in French and is called “A capital with circumflex”. You should see it in the glyph panel. Its Unicode value is 00C2.

• 3. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
              John J David Level 1

I tried the above option that jmlevy mentioned about the Glyph. But it does not work.

• 4. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                John J David Level 1

The option recommended by Jongware is also not working.

• 5. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                  Ellis home Level 4

What font are you using? Are you copy/pasting this text into Indesign? By the way what version are you using, Mac/Windows?

Edit: Sorry, I see you're using CS6, is it on Mac or Windows? Do you have the latest update installed?

• 6. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                    John J David Level 1

I tried to copy/pasting this text into InDesign. But unable to search this special character using Find/Change palette options "Text", "Grep" and "Glyph".

Nothing is appeared when I copy/pasting the same character into that Find/Change palette. Even if hit the "Find" button it says, "Cannot find match".

I am using on Mac OS 10.6.8. Yes the latest updated version has been installed already.

• 7. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've encountered similar font mapping problems moving text from Mac to PC when the original used an early-version font (this was a common problem in the 90s), /change. but it seems odd that the mapping mismatch would involve what looks like it should be a space character, and I've always had lick with find. What font was used originally?

• 8. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                        John J David Level 1

The special character was appeared instead of space - you are right.

Font name: Weidemann Book (OTF font)

• 9. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6

The question is more what was the font in the original file that you placed or pasted from? And it would be good to know if it truly is supposed to be a space, or a combination of a space and something else like a trademark. It seems to me to be a character mapping error.

And you really are unable to copy that glyph and paste it into the GREP find field?

• 10. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                            John J David Level 1

The question is more

what was the font in the original file that you placed or pasted from?

Font name: Weidemann Book

And it would be good to know if it truly is supposed to be a space

Yes it is truly a space

or a combination of a space and something else like a trademark.

No it is not a combination of space or something else like a trademark.

It seems to me to be a character mapping error.

I don't think it is a character mapping error.

And you really are unable to copy that glyph and paste it into the GREP find field?

Yes. I tried to search that character through Glyph method but it couldn't find. Even copy/pasting doesn't work.

• 11. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6

Are able to open the original text n a text editor, and does it appear correctly?

And I was specific about using the GREP find field rather than the Glyph field as it is the most comprehensive....

• 12. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                                John J David Level 1

The character was disappeared when I copy/pasting the same text into Text Editor. But the text has merged/appeared like the following:

"former CEO ofCelanese"

#2. I have tried that GREP option in find field as well. But it doesn't work.

• 13. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                                  [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

There is no 'character', this is a font display problem. As Peter said, it is a "character mapping" problem, but not as simple as "this character got inserted" Instead, something is going wrong in the internal character lookup table that InDesign uses to find, for example, candidates for ligatures. In essence, this looks for character combinations such as "f" and "i" and replaces them on screen only with a single ligature "fi". (Where the actual text, when copied or searched, still consists of a separate "f" and "i".)

Hence, my suggestion to switch off ligatures to test if this is the case.

If you assign another font to this text, does the problem go away?

If it does, then InDesign has a problem with this particular font. I mentioned one cause already: more than one installed font with the same name but with a different version number. To test if this is the case: check with Find Font what font file is used for this text. Remove the font file. Now InDesign should not be able to show the correct font. If it still does, it found another font file for the same font.

Option 2: the font is fine but InDesign's cached data on it got corrupted. Clear its font caches. (This involves looking for some files and deleting them. There should be instructions how to elsewhere on this forum.)

Option #3: the font file itself got corrupted. If none of the above works, deinstall the font, delete the font file, and install a fresh copy from where you got it.

• 14. Re: Unknown characters appeared in InDesign CS6
                                    John J David Level 1

my suggestion to switch off ligatures to test if this is the case.

My Comment: I checked and found the character does not disappeared.

If you assign another font to this text, does the problem go away?

My Comment: I checked and found the character does not disappeared.

Option 2: the font is fine but InDesign's cached data on it got corrupted. Clear its font caches. (This involves looking for some files and deleting them. There should be instructions how to elsewhere on this forum.)

My Comment: I have done as per above instructions. But the issue remains same.

Option #3: the font file itself got corrupted. If none of the above works, deinstall the font, delete the font file, and install a fresh copy from where you got it.

My Comment: I have done as per method above. But issue remains same.