19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 2:52 PM by DavePinMinn

Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?

DavePinMinn Level 1

I typically use Bridge for the initial pass through images to decide what to keep and what to delete.

But, currently I'm on the road so I'm using a laptop with a smaller screen and need to look at close detail, so I thought I'd dump the images into LR 5.5 and create 1:1 previews.

It is NOT pretty......  Laptop is an i5-720 with 8GB of memory, Windows 7 64-bit and there's nothing else running.  Camera is an ordinary Nikon D800.

Creating the 1:1 previews is unusably slow.  It's created 38 previews in just over 20 minutes...  That's LESS THAN 2 previews per MINUTE...

Somebody tell me there's a way to significantly speed this up 'cause at this rate the only way to do this is to start it at bedtime and hope it can do a couple hundred images over night...

I presume there's SOMETHING I'm missing 'cause this is insanely slow.  Ideas? (and no, telling me the only way to create them is to let it churn all night isn't useful)

• 1. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1:1 previews are basically a full-resolution JPG stored in a preview file that contains multiple resolutions, so creating should take about as long as exporting full-resolution (non-resized-down) JPGs.  Are you seeing similar slowness to exported JPGs?

You can start up Task Manager and watch to see if the CPU is being used significantly.  There could be an issue reading and writing to a hard drive that is most full and reasonably fragmented.  Before you start the process of preview computation is there something else using the disks significantly?

• 2. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
            dj_paige Level 9

Somebody tell me there's a way to significantly speed this up 'cause at this rate the only way to do this is to start it at bedtime and hope it can do a couple hundred images over night...

Get a faster CPU is what I would do

You have the largest digital images that I am aware of (36MP), and a relatively slow processor (by today's standards)

• 3. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
              DavePinMinn Level 1

I copied 260 images from a memory card to a local, Seagate, 7200 rpm SATA drive.  I then imported them into LR5.5 using "Add" so there was no physical copying.  Started at 2:30 and finished right around 4:50.  So 268 images with 1:1 images in about 140 minutes?

I watched the CPU during the import and it runs between 60 and 80% busy, with drops to 45% or even 20% periodically.

As for replacing the CPU - it's a laptop.  And just in general, unfortunately, LR5 is pretty much a dog on it.  So, it appears the software has obsoleted another 4-5 year-old system.

I grabbed a half dozen RAW images and exported full-sized jpegs to a local disk.  It appears to take as long to do that as to import the 1:1 images.

I think I was expecting that since all LR has to do is grab the jpeg out of the RAW image and write it, it'd be a lot faster to create the previews.  Apparently I've oversimplified the process.

I can't wait 'til I get home next week and explain to my wife that the not-all-that-old, ridiculously expensive, 18" laptop won't work adequately with the current software.

• 4. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                dj_paige Level 9

Its not that LR 5 doesn't work well on your computer, its that you are feeding it 36 megapixel raw images that is the problem. I'm sure if you were using a 10 Megapixel camera, you'd have no complaints about the speed of LR 5 on your computer.

If your expectation is that 36 megapixel images should run at the exact same speed as RAW photos from previous cameras which produce fewer megapixels, then I think that's the wrong expectation

• 5. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                  DavePinMinn Level 1

I don't expect LR to work "as fast" with a D800 image as it does with one of my D300 images - yes, I routinely use a 12 megapixel camera.

But, although I've not timed the creation of 1:1 previews with the D300 - it's never been so slow as to be unusable, I certainly wasn't expecting over 2 HOURS to create fewer than 300 images.  So, an increase of a second or two to grab the 100% jpeg and write it, yes.  This, I wasn't prepared for...

In any case, it sounds like it's going as fast as it's going to, so I"ll try it on the desktop when I get home to see if a lot more CPU horsepower makes a significant difference.

• 6. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                    areohbee Level 5

It sounds to me abnormally slow.

As you said, D800 crunching is expected to be substantially slower then D300 crunching, but not an order of magnitude, which is about what you are experiencing..

Unfortunately, I have no idea why the problem - have you tried resetting all Lr data (prefs n' presets etc.), and starting with a new 1-photo catalog - still as slow?

It should take a few to several seconds for a D800 raw to render, but not 30+, unless it's been extremely heavily edited with spots n' brush strokes..

R

• 7. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                      DavePinMinn Level 1

Hi Rob,

I didn't create a new catalog.  I will tomorrow and see what that does.  These files haven't been touched.  They're just as they came from the camera, just stored on a hard drive.  Two "interesting" things:

1.  LR has always used 1 or 2 GB of memory.  Today, after importing the images, LR was using more than 6GB, on an 8GB laptop...

2.  Creating the 1:1 previews didn't work.  Hitting space and displaying a single image, then zooming to 1:1 caused a 20-30 second pause while everything still spun before the image became sharp.  And it did it for every image I examined of the set I supposedly created a 1:1 preview for.  I thought after all the time to create the 1:1 previews, they'd display extremely quickly when I wanted to zoom in.  So, where did my big previews go?

The images are on a brand new 3TB Seagate 7200 rpm drive on a eSATA connection.

My catalog is on a different disk than the images - not just partition, but a separate spindle. 

My 50GB cache is on it's own partition on the system drive - a different spindle than the catalog or the images.

I can't see the image disk being fragmented.  It was just loaded last week, immediately prior to leaving home.

Cache was purged.

Catalog was checked and optimized after backing up before loading the new images.

Does any of the above set off alarm bells or point in a direction?

• 8. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                        areohbee Level 5

Hi Dave,

Lr is getting tripped up. Dunno what, why, how.., but using 6GB without good reason, and taking 20 sec+ pauses.. - not at all normal.

Other than trouble-shooting 101, I have nothing to offer, other than the affirmation that you/your-system/Lr is having a definite problem.

Rob

• 9. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                          DavePinMinn Level 1

I misspoke on the memory - I forgot I'd upgraded to 16GB about 4 months ago, so it's using 5 - 6 GB of 16, NOT of 8GB...

I initially thought the problem might be due to the eSATA drive (why it would be I have no idea), so I put yesterday's images

on an internal partition on a 1TB Seagate hybrid drive.  The catalog is also on an internal drive (not the same one I put the

images on), and tried again.  Same thing...

When I get home I"ll try the same thing on the desktop, which runs an i7-920 running quad cores at 3.8GHz and uses an SSD

for the applications and O/S.  If it's significantly faster at creating 1:1 previews I may either replace the laptop or continue to

use it for presentations and tethering at events, and replace it in the RV with a desktop unit if it's significantly faster.

At this point, I've gone back to Bridge, which isn't fast at displaying 100% images, but it's perceptibly faster than LR....

• 10. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                            DavePinMinn Level 1

Back home and working with the desktop machine........  This is a standard PC running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.  O/S, applications, and LR catalog are on an SSD.  Images are on the same 3TB, 7200 rpm Seagate disk as with the laptop (same disk, just in a removable carrier at home instead of an eSATA connection.  Memory is 24GB rather than 16 on the laptop.  CPU is an i7-920 clocked at 3.8GHz rather than the i5-720 in the laptop.

Same set of images from the D800... 

In any case, on this box, I generated 230 1:1 previews in 13 minutes.  So, on the desktop it takes around 4 seconds per preview.  The laptop takes in the high 20s per image.  Near as I can tell the only real differences are the SSD on the box at home, and the CPU.  I don't figure the memory is significant.  Any ideas whether an SSD will provide a SIGNIFICANT improvement or is this just a brute horsepower situation?

• 11. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                              areohbee Level 5

disk drive doesn't (shouldn't) matter much. we're talking about multiple seconds and entire file should be readable in a fraction of a second (worth double-checking that though).

When everything is functioning optimally, a more powerful CPU should cut through those raws more quickly, but it still seems to me there is some abnormal holdup on the laptop - maybe I'm wrong..

R

• 12. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                ~IanB~ Level 1

this is a very long shot that worked for me: Problem solved

and everything is still sailing along  fine BTW folks

• 13. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                  DavePinMinn Level 1

Just on general principles it would be a good idea to blow the crud out of the laptop, so whether it fixes the problem or not, it's still a good idea......  I'll definitely do that...

If it DOESN'T work, one of these days when I'm doing very little, I'll try doing a system rebuild and a clean install.  It'll have to be outside Adobe CC (unless they fix it between now and then), but everything should still work...

I just happened to think - I should also try the same thing in Bridge and tell it to build 100% previews and see if it's as slow ad LR.  If it's slow too, I"ll have to go looking around the system for something else being wrong.

• 14. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                    DavePinMinn Level 1

OK, in the last 6 weeks I"ve ignored the laptop 'cause it's so slow in Lightroom.  As I said at the beginning, it averages right around 28 seconds to create a 1:1 preview of a D810 image.

I purchased a Samsung 840 EVO SSD and installed it.  Blew EVERYTHING away and started over.  Brand new install of Windows 7 and new install of the Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom CC applications.

I put the O/S, applications, Lightroom catalog and even the cache on the SSD.  The images are on a 7200 rpm, 500GB, Seagate drive.

Then I disassembled the laptop and applied new grease to the CPU, then blew out fans, ducts, coolers, and everything else.  It was amazingly clean, but now it's even cleaner...

With ALL that, creation time dropped a whopping very little from 28 to around 25 seconds.   Yup, 3 seconds.......

This compared to the desktop, which is running a slightly faster 920, also old technology, that does 1:1 previews of the same images in 4 seconds...

I presume the current day laptops will be considerably faster than my elderly desktop, so if this laptop isn't gonna get any better I'm looking for recommendations for a 17" or larger laptop that'll provide optimal Lightroom and Photoshop 2014 performance, preferably without breaking the bank! 

• 15. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                      areohbee Level 5

DavePinMinn wrote:

I purchased a Samsung 840 EVO SSD and installed it.  Blew EVERYTHING away and started over.

With ALL that, creation time dropped a whopping very little from 28 to around 25 seconds.   Yup, 3 seconds.......

This compared to the desktop, which is running a slightly faster 920, also old technology, that does 1:1 previews of the same images in 4 seconds...

SSD will typically only help a little, since disk I/O is not much of a bottleneck.

There is definitely something about that laptop which isn't jiving so well with Lightroom. I don't know if it's even possible for it to work better (by starting from scratch you've ruled out a lot of things). If there is something impeding Lightroom which can be fixed (assuming hardware is fixed, and assuming EVERYTHING included Lr data like prefs/presets and catalog..), it could be a system-device driver (or BIOS, although odds are lower).

Have you checked what's happening when Lightroom runs (e.g. Task Manager, event logs..)?

Is it using all available ram? is it resorting to virtual memory? are all cores participating?

If all cores are participating, and nothing "funny" is going on (25 seconds really is "normal"), then it could just be that your laptop is a dud (as used by Lightroom anyway).

Sometimes hardware/firmware designers cut corners, to make a nice spec/price ratio, and don't even print the fine print, or hope nobody will read/understand it if they do..

Maybe time for a new laptop .

Cheers,

Rob

• 16. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                        DavePinMinn Level 1

I updated the laptop to the most recent BIOS, so (in theory) that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not getting anything in the event logs.  I fired up task manager and watched the resource monitor.  I don't see anything odd.  It's chomping like crazy on the .dng file reading.  Once in a while it appears to write a couple thousand bytes to lrcat-journal or or a preview.

It's using about 6 GB of RAM, no virtual memory .  There's nothing else running so it shouldn't be hitting virtual memory.  All the cores are happily churning away...

Is "dud" a technical term?  BTW:  she-who-must-be-obeyed, aka the wife, wandered in and commented on the "maybe time for a new laptop"...  I won't repeat the comment   I sure hope they have some great sales for Christmas!

OK, if I've gotta go buy a new box, I need y'all knowledgeable PS and LR folks to recommend some majorly killer PC laptops 'cause I don't figure either PS or LR are going to get smaller or become less of a resource og.. 

• 17. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                          areohbee Level 5

Dunno specific models, but if you need to save a little money, consider a refurb. e.g. from Dell:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh &brandid=2201&fid=9456

(17" 3rd gen i5 box for ~$600)

As of 2014/10, similar 4th gen i5 boxes are over twice that, new.

Rob

• 18. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                            DianaBoumel

Sorry to bother over here, but can I get some help on the question I have posted this evening. It would be very appreciated.

Screen shot 2014-10-09 at 12.08.55 AM.png

I posted tonight about LR not responding. thanks to any that can help. This post had most action so I tried here for some attention to my question as well.

~Diana

• 19. Re: Ideas to speed up creating 1:1 previews?
                                              DavePinMinn Level 1

I"m not sure if it'll change anything, but I just imported 600+ D810 images into a partition on the SSD.  Then opened Bridge and started it creating 1:1 previews...  During this I started timing and timed 200 creations.  It took an average of  4.2 seconds (about as fast as they create on the desktop )per image.  Does this mean it's NOT the 720 sucking wind, but that the disk controller does?  'Cause I'm using a 7200 rpm Seagate 500GB drive that's less than half full, and I was still getting 28-29 second creations with the images on that.

Looks like for the short term a 3 - 4 TB SSD would be just the thing to speed up LR and PS!