0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 9:36 AM by mutemarketer

Best Method to link excel w/ Leader dots into indesign while retaining leaders?

mutemarketer

Currently have a large excel spreadsheet with ~1700 rows which are updated quarterly. I need this sheet (or sections) linked to a document in indesign.

Current method (Dirty, but works):

Have excel data.

Linked Excel data into word. Add leader dots

Link Word to Indesign

Result: Leaders work fine in Indesign, but it kind of makes an extra step, so each different page of data needs to be updated manually.

Other options:

Have excel data.

Link to Indesign.

Manually add 'tab' and leader dots (through tab menu) within Indesign

Result: Really nasty manual updating anytime the original excel spreadsheet is updated (happens often). Have to pretty much redo 16 pages of formatting each time I touch the original files, so like 45 min work.

What I want to be able to do:

Have excel data (with leader dots within - accomplished by custom cell properties '@*.' )

Link to indesign

Have the leader dots actually show up in indesign.

Result: Any changes to excel already keep the leader dots in place, so no manual formatting is needed.

RELATED/UNRELATED QUESTION:

How to configure the default cell padding when linking an excel sheet into indesign? I use custom cell padding for the excel data, so I still have to manually change it to top/bottom padding to 0.353 mm/0.706mm rather than the default 1.41mm.

Could anyone help me out?