4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 9:59 AM by film418

How to animate a line over moving video?

film418 Level 1

I have aerial footage flying high over mountainous terrain and I need to animate a line (that shows a route) as the plane flies along.I know how to animate a line over a still, but not over moving footage.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks,

• 1. Re: How to animate a line over moving video?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to track the shot so you have motion information from the shot, then apply the tracking data to the line. You could also remove all motion from the shot by stabilizing, not Warp Stabilizing the shot, then add your line, then reintroduce the motion to the shot. The best approach depends on the shot. Any chance you could put the shot up on YouTube or Vimeo so we could see it?

Here's a tutorial on the stabilizing technique that I talked about. It should give you the idea. The target would be the line:

• 2. Re: How to animate a line over moving video?
            film418 Level 1

Thanks for your help. I've posted a section of the footage that I'm working on at: aerial for animation - YouTube

I don't quite understand you're advice just yet so anything you can tell me will be helpful. I'm going to be needed to do this sort of moving line animation quite a few times on this project so I might as well learn it the right way. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: How to animate a line over moving video?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I downloaded your video and tried a few options. Here's the easiest solution. Camera Trcking.  It's quite simple really. Here are the steps:

1. Import your footage.
              2. Select the footage in the project panel and create a new comp from footage (File>New Comp from Selection)
              3. Open the Tracker Panel (Window>Tracker)
              4. With the footage selected in the timeline select Track Camera from the Tracker Panel
              5. When the solution is complete make sure the trackers are visible by scaling them up a bit
              6. Move the CTI to the last 1/3 of the timeline or about 12 seconds
              7. Mouse around until you create a target the looks like it is lying flat on the scene, click, hold down the Alt/Option key while you are over the center of the target, click and drag to make it big enough to cover about 1/2 the shot
              8. Right click and select Set Ground Plane and Origin
              9. Right click again and select Create Solid and Camera
              10. Open up your solid and make it bigger
              11. Set the blend mode of the solid to screen or overlay so you can see through it
              12. Go to the head of the shot and make the y scale big enough to cover the starting point
              13. Go to the end of the shot and make the x scale big enough to cover the end of the shot
              14. Return to the start of the shot and start tracing the route with the pen tool
              15. When you get to the end of the shot add Effects>Generate>Stroke
              16. Set the Stroke Paint Style to On Transparent
              17. Set the stroke width wide enough to see
              18. Set the stroke color
              19. Animate the end of the stroke to draw on the line

That's about it

The project looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 10.41.16 PM.png

My original suggestion of stabilizing was too much work because of the perspective changes in the shot.

Here's a CS6 project file. You will have to replace the footage with the sample from YouTube that you posted.

• 4. Re: How to animate a line over moving video?
                film418 Level 1

Just a quick note to say thank you for your help. I'm working with it now and will post the result on youtube. Fingers crossed.