18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2008 6:29 PM by wblakesmith

Fireworks and Vista

ianhg
      Does anyone have problems running Fireworks with Vista? I have found that when I select an image it takes ages to open, also when batch processing images for resizing it keeps crashing but will eventually succeed. Any ideas would be welcome.
      Thanks
      Ian
        • 1. Re: Fireworks and Vista
          Glen Mcl
          I am having the same problem with opening images being slow. I also get a message while it is opening to say that the program is not capable of working in the "Aero" colour scheme, so it switches of the Aero setup until after I have shut it down again.
          I have not tried to batch process any images yet, but it certainly doesn't work when I try to use the Justso Photoalbum3 extension in Dreamweaver and wonder if it is anything to do with the Vista security settings not allowing 2 programs to work together on multiple files?
          Sorry I don't have any ideas for you, but at least I can confirm that you are not alone!
          • 2. Re: Fireworks and Vista
            Level 1
            Ian,

Have you tried to search around Adobe Fireworks Support page relating to your problem? I believe there is also some discussion about this issue in the past here in the forums, as well as general discussion in Dreamweaver for that matter.

At the same time, Adobe is about to release the next version of Fireworks called Fireworks CS3 in matter of weeks, if not months, but few weeks. Once the product is released and shipped, you might want to test drive the new version of Fireworks on Vista.

It is important and please try to understand that Fireworks 8 is specifically developed to work with Windows XP, not designed for Vista. However, I have seen some participants successfully have some workaround, perhaps at their own risks.

Hope that helps. Good luck, Brian.

quote:

Originally posted by: ianhg
            Does anyone have problems running Fireworks with Vista? I have found that when I select an image it takes ages to open, also when batch processing images for resizing it keeps crashing but will eventually succeed. Any ideas would be welcome.
            Thanks
            Ian

• 3. Re: Fireworks and Vista
              ianhg Level 1
              Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know that it's not just me!
              I will take a look at the Dreamweaver forum and see what I can find. I am reluctant to upgrade from Studio 8 as I think that there might be an improved version of Dreamweaver due in 2008. Or is this incorrect?
              Regards
              Ian
              • 4. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                Level 1
                New version is DUE in matter of weeks away, this quarter of Adobe fiscal year 2007. This means matters of weeks, not 2008. 2007, this quarter, but don't know when, though. Only few weeks and probably counting less than weeks, if not months. :)

quote:

Originally posted by: ianhg
                Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know that it's not just me!
                I will take a look at the Dreamweaver forum and see what I can find. I am reluctant to upgrade from Studio 8 as I think that there might be an improved version of Dreamweaver due in 2008. Or is this incorrect?
                Regards
                Ian

• 5. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                  Level 7
                  ianhg wrote:
                  > Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know that it's not just me!
                  > I will take a look at the Dreamweaver forum and see what I can find. I am
                  > reluctant to upgrade from Studio 8 as I think that there might be an improved
                  > version of Dreamweaver due in 2008. Or is this incorrect?

It is... fortunately ;-)

http://www.adobe.com/creativelicense/

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  reach : connect : communicate
                  http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                  http://www.pixelyzed.com
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                    ianhg Level 1
                    "Does anyone have problems running Fireworks with Vista? I have found that when I select an image it takes ages to open,"
                    So I upgraded to CS3 and still have problems with some pictures opening, just takes forever sometimes. Just not really too sure if it's a vista problem or a fireworks. Anyone suggest solution?
                    Dell PC running Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 2.4Ghz RAM 4GB
                    Thanks,
                    Ian
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                      Level 7
                      ianhg wrote:
                      > "Does anyone have problems running Fireworks with Vista? I have found that when
                      > I select an image it takes ages to open,"
                      > So I upgraded to CS3 and still have problems with some pictures opening, just
                      > takes forever sometimes. Just not really too sure if it's a vista problem or a
                      > fireworks. Anyone suggest solution?
                      > Dell PC running Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 2.4Ghz RAM 4GB

Fireworks is very fast for me on Vista 64 and my machine has similar
                      specs as yours except my processor is an AMD and the machine was custom
                      made, not a brand name:
                      AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ (2.6GHz), 4GB Ram (DDR2 800MHz Dual
                      channel)

What antivirus software are you using?
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                        ianhg Level 1
                        Thanks for the reply.
                        I am using AVG. The problem does not always happen it seems to be only when I open images in a certain way, (mainly File> open>) and only started when I moved to the new PC with Vista. Previously, on XP it worked fine. I upgraded to CS3 as Studio8 had not been produced with Vista in mind, thinking the problem would resolve it's self, wish full thinking!
                        Still, not sure if it's a vista issue or a Abobe one. Just checked how long Photoshop CS3 took and it was quite some time, so I guess it must be a vista issue. Images are Jpeg and previously opened quickly with no problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.
                        ian
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                          Level 7
                          ianhg wrote:
                          > Thanks for the reply.
                          > I am using AVG. The problem does not always happen it seems to be only when I
                          > open images in a certain way, (mainly File> open>) and only started when I
                          > moved to the new PC with Vista. Previously, on XP it worked fine. I upgraded to
                          > CS3 as Studio8 had not been produced with Vista in mind, thinking the problem
                          > would resolve it's self, wish full thinking!

I'm on Vista here but it was a clean install. Did you perform an upgrade
                          installation from XP or a clean Vista install? Clean installs usually
                          yield much better results.

> Still, not sure if it's a vista issue or a Abobe one. Just checked how long
                          > Photoshop CS3 took and it was quite some time, so I guess it must be a vista
                          > issue. Images are Jpeg and previously opened quickly with no problem. Any ideas
                          > would be appreciated.

As I said before, everything is very fast on my machine. AVG is a good
                          antivirus so that's certainly not what is slowing you down (Norton or
                          McAffee would have been a different story).

What's the size of the images you are trying to open in Fireworks that
                          take a long time?
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                            Level 7
                            Is there an identifiable resource hog in the Vista equivalent of Windows
                            Task Manager?

Identifiable traits are consuming lots of CPU or memory allocation
                            jumping about a bit.

ianhg wrote:
                            > Thanks for the reply.
                            > I am using AVG. The problem does not always happen it seems to be only when I
                            > open images in a certain way, (mainly File> open>) and only started when I
                            > moved to the new PC with Vista. Previously, on XP it worked fine. I upgraded to
                            > CS3 as Studio8 had not been produced with Vista in mind, thinking the problem
                            > would resolve it's self, wish full thinking!
                            > Still, not sure if it's a vista issue or a Abobe one. Just checked how long
                            > Photoshop CS3 took and it was quite some time, so I guess it must be a vista
                            > issue. Images are Jpeg and previously opened quickly with no problem. Any ideas
                            > would be appreciated.
                            > ian
                            >
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                              ianhg Level 1
                              Thanks for the replies.
                              It's strange when I have Dreamweaver open and select an image > choose Fireworks it opens very quickly. But the same image will take ages if I use Fireworks File>open and select the same image. 345X219 pixels Resolution 72 pixels/inch 21.KB Jpeg format. The issue seems to be when I use Photoshop and Fireworks and try File >open an image, strange and not very productive. Photoshop works much quicker than Fireworks, we are talking almost a minute.
                              • 12. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                ianhg Level 1
                                Ok I think the issue is with Vista it will not allow me to make Fireworks the default program for jpeg, jpg or png although they are in Dreamweaver set for Fireworks so I guess that is why it works quickly in Dreamweaver. Can anyone tell me how to force Vista to accept Fireworks as default program?
                                Thanks
                                Ian
                                • 13. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                  pixlor Level 4
                                  I have CS3 on Vista, Double-clicking on a .jpg brings up the Windows Photo Gallery for me. I use a file explorer window (it's nice to get the preview) and drag and drop images onto PS or FW, depending on which I would rather use. I tried a few, and it seemed that PS was a trifle slower, but both opened quite fast. Of course, I could be opening smaller images than you. In any case....

From Vista's Start button, I selected "Help and Support" and searched for "file association."
                                  quote:

Change the program that opens a type of file

If you double-click a file in Windows and it opens in the wrong software program, follow these steps to choose the program you would prefer that file use. You can change this setting for an individual file, or you can tell Windows to open all files of that same type in the software program you choose.

Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.

Right-click the file that you want to change, and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open With or point to Open With and then click Choose Default Program.

Click the program that you want to use to open this file.

Do one of the following:

If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

If you want only that file to open in the software program this one time, clear the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

• 14. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                    ianhg Level 1
                                    Thanks pixior, but i have tried that and vista does not accept or add Fireworks to to Open with box.
                                    It's strange as if I work through Bridge (having set Fireworks as the default for jpeg, png etc) they open quickly.
                                    So, I can only assume that if I can make vista accept Fireworks as default program in Open with the problem would be resolved. Problem is that Vista will not, even when I go browse and select Fireworks, although Fireworks will open if you click on the icon.
                                    Thanks for the help folks.
                                    • 15. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                      suemz Level 1
                                      This is not just a vista problem. I have XP Home edition and have the same issue. I can't select Fireworks CS3 as a program to open jpg's.
                                      • 16. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                        MonteKrause Level 1
                                        I'm using Fireworks CS3 and I find the program sluggish in Vista. It might as well crash because I'm getting frustrated with it enough to not ever use it anyway.
                                        • 17. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                          Level 7
                                          suemz wrote:
                                          > This is not just a vista problem. I have XP Home edition and have the same issue. I can't select Fireworks CS3 as a program to open jpg's.

FW CS3 opens my jpegs just fine in Win XP Media and Pro editions right
                                          from the install. Have you tried deleting the file association
                                          completely and then adding it back in again within the File Types tab of
                                          the Folder Options dialog for Explorer?

--
                                          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                                          Extending Knowledge, Daily
                                          http://www.communityMX.com/
                                          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                                          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                                          ---
                                          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                                          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
                                          • 18. Re: Fireworks and Vista
                                            wblakesmith
                                            I was having the same problem. (Caused by installing a new version of Fireworks, then uninstalling the old version - at least in my case.)

I tried to re-associate the app with the extensions using the "open with" option but that didn't work. Here's what DID work:

1) Open a folder.
                                            2) Select TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS
                                            3) Click on the tab called "FILE TYPE"
                                            4) Find the extension that is giving you a problem (in my case PNG) in the list.
                                            5) Select that extension, then click the delete button.
                                            6) Click OK and close this window.
                                            7) Repeat steps 2 & 3
                                            8) Now in that same menu, click "New".
                                            9) Enter the extension you want, then click OK.
                                            10) Find the new extension in the list and click it to select it.
                                            11) Click the Advanced button
                                            12) Click "New" and make a new action called "Open"
                                            The action will be the complete path to the fireworks executable, followed by %1.
                                            example:
                                            "c:\adobe\fireworks\fireworks.exe" %1
                                            (Use the REAL path to your exe file, not this example)
                                            11) Click OK
                                            12) Click Close

That ought to do it. Man, it was a lot easier to just do that than try to write down HOW I did it. :^s