32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 7:30 AM by Mr. Zogg

Rendering to PNG error

Mr. Zogg Level 1

A problem cropped up after switching to After Effect CC 2014; grabbing a frame as a PNG file fails with this error message: "AEGP Plugin PNGIO support: PNGIO library error: known incorrect sRGB profile ( 5027 :: 12 )"

So, what the heck is that supposed to mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Rendering to PNG error
          Daniel_Peterson Level 1

I have the same problem... anyone know how to solve this? Thanks

• 2. Re: Rendering to PNG error
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Neither of you has provided any proper technical info like system specs, render settings and whatnot, so no, nobody can even begin to guess.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Rendering to PNG error
              Mr. Zogg Level 1

OK MR. Mylenium, fair enough. As mentioned above, I'm using After Effects CC 2014 (v12.2), on a Mac (OSX 10.9.5), the problem comes when trying to render a frame as a PNG file. The error message itself seems pretty specific. What else did you want to know?

• 4. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                Daniel_Peterson Level 1

Haha, yes indeed... Ae CC 2014 (v13.0.2.3) MacOS 10.8.5, and as Mr Zogg mentioned, the problem comes from trying to render to a PNG frame/sequence... in my case I've got a cinema 4D lite file in after effects and am trying to render out the animation as a PNG sequence. (sRGB linear colorspace seems to have something to do with it?) I can render to Quicktime no probs, its just something to do with sRGB not working with the PNG export... which is a pain because thats the best way to export animations with transparency.

thanks for any thoughts.

• 5. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                  Mr. Zogg Level 1

Seem odd no one is aware of this bug or how to remedy it.

• 6. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know how to fix it because it's working fine on my system.

• 7. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                      Mr. Zogg Level 1

Well, fascinating Rick. Is your system different in any way from the affected systems described above?

• 8. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Daniel_Peterson wrote:

...trying to render to a PNG frame/sequence...

...I can render to Quicktime no probs...

Can you render to QuickTime with the PNG codec?

Can you render to QuickTime with the PNG codec with alpha?

Can you render to QuickTime with the Animation codec with alpha?

• 9. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                          Mr. Zogg Level 1

There's no such thing as "QuickTime with the PNG codec", so no.

Animation codec with alpha is no problem. Did you read the earlier posts?

• 10. Re: Rendering to PNG error

Mr. Zogg wrote:

There's no such thing as "QuickTime with the PNG codec", so no.

Yes there is.

In After Effects, choose QuickTime as your format and then look at the codec options you have. PNG is one of them (as is Animation, Photo JPEG, and many others). PNG in a QuickTime container like that is a great way to render a video file with alpha. Granted, an image sequence outside of a QuickTime container is usually a good idea with long renders, but I was suggesting this as a troubleshooting step to try to see where things were going wrong.

Mr. Zogg wrote:

Animation codec with alpha is no problem. Did you read the earlier posts?

That wasn't specified in the previous posts. Nobody said what codec they were using or whether they were getting alpha; they just said, "QuickTime is working".

If rendering a QuickTime with alpha is working, a short-term solution would be to then use the Adobe Media Encoder to create the PNG sequence from the QuickTime while we try to troubleshoot the underlying reason that AE won't render a PNG sequence correctly.

• 11. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                              Mr. Zogg Level 1

Szalam - The "PNG" option under Quicktime in AE renders a numbered series of PNG stills (without alpha), not a Quicktime mov. BUT, curiously, it DOES WORK on my system. So it is a possible, long-way-around, workaround. I get the error when trying to save a frame, under "Save Frame As > File" Under the "Composition" menu.

• 12. Re: Rendering to PNG error

What happens if you try to save a PSD instead of a PNG with Save Frame As?

Also, double-check your settings against mine:

renderqtpng.jpg

When I use these settings, I get an MOV.

• 13. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                  Mr. Zogg Level 1

Maybe a Mac>PC difference? Note alpha depth is greyed out, and as I said, this renders a still series.

AEGrab.jpg

• 14. Re: Rendering to PNG error

Under Channels, you have to pick RGB+Alpha to get alpha options (not the most straightforward way for that choice to be presented, I'll grant...)

I would be inclined to believe it was due to a PC/Mac difference except that I know people on Macs who use QuickTime with the PNG codec...

• 15. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                      Mr. Zogg Level 1

OK, that does render a .mov, with alpha. But weirder still, I could also render using, "Save Frame As > File" Under the "Composition" menu without any error message.

So, maybe it's just miraculously cured itself.

I think I'll go back to where the error originally occurred and see if I can replicate it.

• 16. Re: Rendering to PNG error

Maybe your QuickTime was hoping to get off early on a Friday?

• 17. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                          WShawn Level 1

I'm having the same problem, and I'm not amused.

AE CC 2014 (13.0)

2012 MacPro running OS 10.9.5

Working in 16-bit sRGB color space

Outputting a 36-frame 1080x1080 PNG image sequence as client specified.

Error message "AEGP Plugin PNGIO support: PNGIO library error: known incorrect sRGB profile ( 5027 :: 12 )" followed by "AEGP Plugin PNGIO support: Unable to create PNGIO. ( 5027 :: 12 ) appears regardless of whether I'm rendering millions of colors+ or trillions of colors+ or no alpha.

Tiff sequence with same settings outputs fine.

The same PNG settings output fine in AE CS6 (11.0.4).

The same PNG settings output fine in AE CC (12.2)

Since we're spending $50/month for this stupid cloud subscription I thought we might as well start using these CC versions.  Installed Premiere Pro CC 2014 for a simple editing job, but it wasn't compatible with Lion, so I upgraded to Mavericks (after cloning my system drive, of course).  AE CS6 then wouldn't open, so I moved my project to AE CC 2014 (not the most recent buggy one).  Got these PNG errors, so I've updated CS6 which now will open on Mavericks and has no problem outputting my PNG sequence.

Weak.  Guess I'll submit a bug report.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

• 18. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Try with After Effects CC 2014.1 (13.1):

http://adobe.ly/DVA_updates

• 19. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                              WShawn Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

My first course of action when encountering a problem like this in the past would have been to upgrade to the latest version of the software, but given the issues with Unmult and other bugs I'm reading about I'm not exactly champing at the bit to update to the October version of AE.

The frustrating thing is I can render PNGs in two other versions of AE I have on my system.  Why did it break in CC 2014 (13.0)?  It really doesn't seem like things have improved much since being forced to move to a subscription plan, despite all the talk that the developers would now have time to work on those little improvements that couldn't be addressed when working under the tyranny of having to generate new, exciting features for annual releases.

• 20. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                lmaclanphere Level 1

I will add myself to the list having issues rendering to PNG image sequence, when working space sRGB is selected.

"AEGP plugin PNGIO support: PNGIO library error: known incorrect sRGB profile"

I'm on a PC, with After Effects version CC 2014.1 -- 13.1.0.111

• 21. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

The coding elves at Adobe keep coming up with bug fixes.  Your version is not the most dcurrent.  An update may cure your ills.  No guarantees on that -- the elves have a lot of bugs to fix.

• 22. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                    lmaclanphere Level 1

thx Dave, I'll mention it to the trolls wizards that update my software

• 23. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                      leejk Level 1

Broke here too... Yosemite with AE 13.2. Worked fine before in older versions. It seems tho that if you go back to an older project were you have saved this preset as an output template, you can get it re-saved back into the global templates, and use that. That worked for me eventually, however I could see no differences at all between the old png sequence render settings and the new. I also think it's strange that in this new version, PNG Sequence has been removed from the output templates. Why is that?

• 24. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                        psyphy

Related problems here too:

Error message: "AEGP Plugin PNGIO support: Input file doesn't seem to be a PNG file ( 5027 :: 12 )"

Mac OS 10.9.5.

AE CC 2014 (13.2.0.49)

So this occured when I was Replacing/Relinking PNG files in a project. It successfully found the first few files but then came up with the error message. Not only this. I tried just importing the PNG files with no success. Also, when I tried to Replace a WAV file in the same project it comes up with the same PNG error message! That's insane.

Quickly tried to open the project in AE CC (12.2.1.5) and the same error comes up with the PNG files.

I'm going to investigate and see if there is anything different about those PNG files, but the way it is screwing with the Replace function on other file formats suggests a deeper glitch that needs urgent attention.

• 25. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                          CHRISTREK2

Running Windows here and I also got this error when trying to export out to a regular PNG sequence, not the QuickTime workaround, which renders out a MOV file even though I selected PNG in the options...

I'm also running AE CC 2014 (13.2.0.49).

So, I'm just using JPEG sequences for now.

• 26. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                            blainklitzke

After Effects CC 2014 will not allow me to export .png (RGB + Alpha) sequence from an sRGB Linear color space.

Error message: "AEGP Plugin PNGIO support: Input file doesn't seem to be a PNG file ( 5027 :: 12 )"

OSX Version 10.8.5

AE CC 2014 Version 13.1.1.3

This is a very troubling problem.

• 27. Re: Rendering to PNG error

Blaink, is there a reason you're not running the latest AE (13.2.0.49)?

Also, can you render a QuickTime RGB+A with the PNG codec? (This is a PNG sequence in a QuickTime wrapper with audio.)

• 28. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                                CHRISTREK2 Level 1

I don't know about Blaink, but the QT RGB+A and PNG codec route works for me. Just the PNG image sequence output itself.

• 29. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                                  Ville W.

I have same problem. I'm using latest version of AE (13.2.0.49) on Mac Pro (OS X 10.10.3). I'm getting exactly same error messages when I try to render out PNGs. I realised that when I'm using sRGB as Working Color Space, it will fail. I can always use Adobe Media Encoder to export PNG sequences (it works), but it would help a lot and make thing easier, when just trying to export some simple still images with Alpha channel.

Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 15.53.07.png

• 30. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                                    Clint Porter

Same problem here. I've rendered out PNG sequences on AE forever, but just switched to AE CC 2014 and now I can't.

2014 Mac Pro

PNG sequence + alpha

sRGB colorspace

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 12.35.52 PM.png

• 31. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                                      Russ T Buss Level 1

In the output module settings, go to the 'color management' tab and check off "preserve RGB".

• 32. Re: Rendering to PNG error
                                                                        Mr. Zogg Level 1

Thanks Russ! Does seem a little odd it took nearly a year to come up with the answer, and that no one from Adobe could provide it.