5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2014 7:10 PM by tangogirl

My images are located in multiple folders in Lightroom

tangogirl

I just installed the trial version of Lightroom and while it was importing my pictures, I finished work on one folder of images and moved a subset of the images to a subfolder through Windows Explorer. But now Lightroom sees the moved images in both the parent folder and the subfolder. I have tried synching to no avail. I also tried moving the images from the subfolder back into the parent folder inside of Lightroom, but once I moved them back to the subfolder inside of Lightroom they again showed up in both places. How can I fix?

• 1. Re: My images are located in multiple folders in Lightroom
          Simon G E Garrett Level 2

When you've imported stuff into Lightroom, it's generally not a good idea to move the files in Explorer.  If you need to move the files, drag them around in Lightroom, in the folder view in Library module.  That way Lightroom moves the files and updates its database (the catalogue).

However, if you've moved stuff in Explorer, then it should be possible to help Lightroom find where you've moved them.  If an image (or a folder) isn't where Lightroom expects it to be, then there's an exclamation mark "!" by the file name in grid view, or by the folder name in the folder list.  Click on the exclamation mark and Lightroom gives a dialogue and you can point Lightroom to where it's gone.  If you've moved a whole folder, click on the "!" on folder to relocate the folder, or if you've moved individual images to different places, you may have to go through the process with each file. 

Now, if you've tried a whole load of different things then it's possible Lightroom has got so confused that it might be better to remove them from the catalog.  Right-click the files or folders and choose "remove", but DON'T select any option to "delete from disk", obviously.  Then, having removed the entries Lightroom can't find, then re-import the images. 

But in general, once you've imported images into Lightroom, don't move them except from within Lightroom, unless you're really sure you know what you're doing. 

• 2. Re: My images are located in multiple folders in Lightroom
            dj_paige Level 9

Simon's answer is correct, but I would like to advise you to organize by keywords, captions and other metadata, rather than by moving photos around from folder to folder. This is a much more powerful way to organize, and also eliminates the work involved in moving photos from location to location.

• 3. Re: My images are located in multiple folders in Lightroom
              tangogirl Level 1

I've realized that Lightroom is simply showing any images located in subfolders in the parent folder. Is there a way to turn that off?

• 4. Re: My images are located in multiple folders in Lightroom
                areohbee Level 5

Yes - uncheck 'Show Images in Subfolders' - Library menu.

• 5. Re: My images are located in multiple folders in Lightroom
                  tangogirl Level 1

How on earth did I miss that?? Thank you!!