5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2014 9:26 PM by Michael D Sullivan

Why can't I select a fine art paper?

RBSPhotog Level 1

In the Print Settings/Printer Settings/.... I cannot select any of the fine art papers from the drop down menu. They are grayed out. Why is this and what's the fix?

• 1. Re: Why can't I select a fine art paper?
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does your printer support "Fine Art" paper?

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Why can't I select a fine art paper?
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

What papers are supported may depend on your Operating System installed Printer Device drivers support and the paper profile installed into your Operating System.  Here is what I see for the Epson 4800 I have installed on one of my machine on my home network.  It is remote to my workstation but the requires device drivers and paper profiles are installed on my workstation so I can print from my workstation. None of the listed papers are grayed out. View the screen captures in a new tab or browser window thsi site scale images poorly. In a new tab or browser window you can scale the image to actual pixels....

Capture.jpg

• 3. Re: Why can't I select a fine art paper?
              RBSPhotog Level 1

It's an Epson Stylus Pro 3880. How would I find out if it supports these papers?

• 4. Re: Why can't I select a fine art paper?
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I would think the the Epson device drivers install would install some Epson paper profiles.  I know when I installed my 4800 years ago some paper profiles were installed. I also downloaded other from the Epson site and from other paper manufacturers web site. for their paper used on the 4800.

If your on windows in the windows control panel there is a color management applet. Open that and use its All Profiles tab.  You can scroll the list of profiles installed. On my systems I see two profiles for my 4800 and velvet fine art paper for the different black inks that can be used in the  Epson 4800 printer.. See If there are any on your system for the Epson 3880 printer.  If not you may be able to find and down load profile for the 3880 and VFAP...

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: Why can't I select a fine art paper?
                  Michael D Sullivan Level 3

The Epson 3880 supports fine art papers.  However, fine art papers may require you to switch to the Matte Black ink, instead of Photo Black.  The papers requiring Matte Black may be grayed out unless you take steps to switch the ink -- which would be a good thing, because switching ink wastes a lot of ink and costs you money; you shouldn't automtatically be switched from one ink to the other.