11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 7:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Adjusting times of photos?

modernpioneer Level 1

I have a select number of photos I want to adjust to a song I wrote. Some photos I would like to display longer than others and some shorter. I thought I could select them all and then adjust the times to one setting, and then adjust the time of the ones I want to display longer manually. Thank you for your help....

• 1. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

modernpioneer

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you are not using the SmartSound tracks of Premiere Elements 11 and earlier or the Music Scores from Premiere Elements 12, then you will have to deal with the issue of changing the duration of the music without affecting the arrangement.

You might want to look into what you can do in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor where there is a Fit Slides to Audio feature.

Yes, it will fit slides to audio but in the process adjusts the duration of your stills accordingly.

But, let us start with the program(s) that you are using and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
            modernpioneer Level 1

Thank you ATR.. I am using Elements 11, and a fairly new user. I use to use the free Microsoft program and finally up graded to a great program. Also, do I need to resize those photos prior to dropping them in to the program?

• 3. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

modernpioneer

Thanks for the reply. When you wrote "Elements 11", I am assuming that is Premiere Elements 11 and not Photoshop Elements 11. Please let me know what computer operating system you are running Premiere Elements 11 on. For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

What is your export plan for your work - export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc (DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on DVD disc.)?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos now, and how many of them are going into the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline? Are these 3:2, 4;3, or 16:9?

With Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the computer resources are greater, and you might get away without having to resize photos to fit classical recommendations intended for earlier version where less computer resources were involved. But, no matter how high the resolution of the original, it is going to be forced to the standards of the export format.

The above are all interrelated Q&A.

Is it possible for you to record your music to the duration needed so that you do not have to alter the audio duration too much to make a fit?

But, explore the Elements Organizer 11 that comes with Premiere Elements and its Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor  "Fit Slides to Audio".

More in the morning.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                modernpioneer Level 1

Premiere Elements 11 yes... Windows 7, The plan is to create a video from stills to use online and upload to social media including FB and Utube. The current pixel rate is 3500 taken from Cannon EOS 7D The existing music can not be altered as much, I could trim some time, but not a lot. However some of the photos relate to parts of the song, hence making those photos have a little more time for the audience to grasp the concept of the photo to the music that is playing. 

Producing home grown videos has been okay with the free microsoft program, but I need to step it up to keep up with changing technology.

• 5. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

modernpoineer

Thanks for the reply.

From what I have read of your camera (Canon EOS 7D), it can record stills (jpg) as

5184 x 3456 pixels

3456 x 2304 pixels (I am assuming this is what you are starting with)

2592 x 1728 pixel

All have an aspect ratio of 3:2 which is typically associated with printing photos. Premiere Elements video is classically

4:3 or 16:9.

Lots of ifs, but some things to think about....if you video creation is going to contain only photos and your music....

If you are going for a DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc Premiere Elements 11 workflow

a. Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

b. In the Change Settings dialog, select the project preset (there is a reason (gives sharper results) for the following rather than using NTSC DV Widescreen as the project preset)

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Before you close out of Change Settings and the new project dialog, make sure you have a check mark next to

"Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of there.

c. Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to import your photos into Project Assets from

where you drag the photos to the Timeline Video Track 1.

d. Edit, apply disc menu via Tools Menu/Movie Menu, and for the burn to

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD, disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. (For this proposed workflow, I am assuming that you are in a NTSC rather than PAL setup.)

Backing up....about what to do, if anything, with those 3456 x 2304 pixels photos before you import them into the project without crashing due to photos oversized for the project and the computer resources....

1. Do nothing but import them as is and see what the project does with them in the way of scaling them with the preference "Default Scale to Frame Size" in effect, determine if you get the view that you want, and see if you run into computer resource issues with all those photos at that size.

2. If photo size problems, then crop and resize the photos in (for example) Photoshop Elements with its Crop Tool set for 1920 x 1080 16:9. Import the cropped resized photo into the Premiere Elements 11 project.

You may have run into the classical photo sizing for video recommendations that have been posted for years, that is, for SD, photo pixel dimensions should not exceed 1000 x 750 and for HD, photo pixel dimensions should not exceed 2000 x 1500. I believe that the recommendation has gotten repeated and repeated without a critical qualifier to go with it regarding a project with or without the preference "Default Scale to Frame Size" enabled.

What I have suggested should give you the sharpest possible results and possibly avoid unnecessary photo preparation in this day and age of Premiere Elements 11 and 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit with all the resource implications that go with that. If you do run into problems, then we can talk alternatives as indicated by any problems faced.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                    modernpioneer Level 1

Before it slips my mind, I wanted to say that I am grateful for your assistance and helping me along this path of trying to improve my video projects. Thank you....  I have had little time to work on the project, but I will in the next couple days. I have a few projects that require my attention when the sun is out. As a Homesteader and self sufficient farmer, I have many conflicts between old technology and understanding nature/the land as I do computers and the ever changing computer lingo/technology.

• 7. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

modernpioneer

Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything that you need clarification on. I will gladly rewrite if necessary, explaining another way if necessary. We will go at whatever pace you prefer.

We will look forward to your follow up when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                        modernpioneer Level 1

ATR... I have moved forward to edit some video instead of the still photo project. I need some clarification/understanding in what the help section is explaining. I am not sure I understand it.

Working with video from my GoPro, I am trying to edit out part(s) of the video that I don't need. I plan to ad more in and make it work together. In the free microsoft program windows live movie maker, I simply go to the top, into the edit mode and click "split". This allows me to add or remove parts of the video I want or don't need.

I found the trimming clips section in help here, but I do not understand it, can you explain it differently or more clearly? I am working in the expert section of the program, I know try not to giggle to much....

• 9. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

modernpioneer

Several ways to go here...

1. With your video selected/highlighted on the Timeline, move the Timeline Indicator to the beginning of the segment that you do not want out. Then

Ctrl+K will cut the video at that spot. Then move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment that you do not want, then Ctrl+K will cut the video at that spot.

Then, right click the segment that you just generated, select Delete and Close Gap from the pop up menu. The job is done. The Delete and Close Gap can have its problems if you have content above or below where you are cutting. But that is another story for another time. If any problems getting the Delete and Close Gap to work, we will devote a whole reply to the topic. Here is an idea of what I mean.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Delete and Close Gap Failures

If you did not want to use the Ctrl+K shortcut, you could instead click on the scissors tab on the stem of the Time Indicator when it was at each of the two places for the cut.

2. The other way is to "trim" the clip in the clip's Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points. The following is probably more than you need but please give this a look anyway just in case.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If not, I will rewrite with some screenshots included. I think that the Ctrl+K or the scissors tab on the Timeline Indicator stem way should do the job for you.

No question is too small or insignificant if you do not have the answer for the question. So, please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                            modernpioneer Level 1

What a awesome resource blog!!!

"If you did not want to use the Ctrl+K shortcut, you could instead click on the scissors tab on the stem of the Time Indicator when it was at each of the two places for the cut."

Scissors tab on the stem of the time indicator? Am I missing it, I can't seem to locate/understand how to do this...... 

• 11. Re: Adjusting times of photos?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

modernpioneer

Scissors.jpg

Until your mouse cursor gets close to the scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator, it sort of blends into the background.

But it should look like it does in the screenshot when you mouse cursor get near it.

Please let me know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR