My installation of Windows 7 was corrupted and i had to reinstall it, and all of the programs along with it. All of my data (pictures, catalog, etc) was on a separate hard drive that was untouched. I've got Lightroom up and running without much effort, but the color coding of my photos is gone; they all show grey. This is very important because i use the color codes to drive my workflow and publishing rules.
i recall something about how certain aspects of LR are not in the catalog, but i can't remember what i'm supposed to do to get them back. I searched the forum but i'm not finding the information easily. Can anyone help?
BTW, Adobe should make this easier with some kind of backup/recovery tool. it's common for folks to have to reinstall Windows.
You don't say what you did to get Lightroom up and running ... what steps did you follow?
The color codes should be in the Lightroom catalog
Thank you very much for your help. Here's what i did to get where I am:
1. My photos and catalog were on the D: drive and unaffected when i reinstalled Windows.
2. I reinstalled LR on my C: drive and got the license reestablished
3. I double-clicked on the catalog on the D: drive and it came up along with my pictures
and here's how things are:
1. all my pictures are grey. Previously i had modified the labels for each color to give a meaning to "red", "green," etc.
2. in the catalog, the item "store presets with this catalog" is UNchecked. I don't know why, and now i'm thinking i should check it but i will wait for your advice first.
3. if the label sets were stored on the C: drive, they are gone now.
4. I was using Matt Dawson's LR backup and i stored those on my D: drive so i'm hoping that will save me somehow. I don't really know how to restore from that backup and I'm waiting to hear from Matt. If i recall correctly, it's a manual process, which is OK with me if i can just understand how to do it.