11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2017 4:50 AM by Ali Khafaji

Making a brush react to paper texture

George Middleton

Would anybody perhaps know how I can make a non-textured brush react to a paper texture- as if it were real paint on textured paper?

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

• 1. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using a textured paint brush?

Have you experimented with brush flow, opacity, and blending modes?

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
            davidc1815 Level 4

You can make pretty much any brush deposit a textured stroke by adding the "Texture" feature in the Brush Panel and choosing the Pattern texture you want to see deployed and the amount (depth) of texture in each stroke.  Or you can add texture after the painting using a Pattern Adjustment layer. An element of jitter and variation is good because no texture is displayed evenly in a real painting (on canvas or paper).

• 3. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
              George Middleton Level 1

Hi Nancy, yes, I've been using textured brushes for awhile now in PS, and while I find that to be a good thing, I yearn for a setup where an ordinary brush- say with wet edges- would react via pressure to an existing "textured" layer- say a rough watercolor paper- such that with light pressure perhaps it would have a dry brush effect allowing for the existing texture to break up the stroke- or let's say with heavy pressure, the paint would pool and deposit darker paint in the valleys of the texture...

I think Painter probably can do something like this, but as software goes I find it not nearly as user-friendly or able to advantage a powerful computer system the way Photoshop does..

• 4. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                George Middleton Level 1

Thanks nicknal12, yes, I am aware of the textured brush option and use it frequently. Somehow though, I'd like to make it more like the actual painting experience, a little more realistic.. ..for instance, it would be great to be able to create something like a random textured gesso-like surface that I could see while painting, and have the "watery" paint react to it as I paint as if it was real texture.. Perhaps this is possible in some way- I'm just not aware of how to do it. Or maybe I'll just have to be satisfied with adding texture to the brush. But can a pattern adjustment layer add enough variation? I suppose I'd need to create a custom texture the size of the image, right?

• 5. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                  davidc1815 Level 4

A possible workaround for you:  oil paint when brushed on to a canvas ground varies in thickness and character with the canvas texture showing through where the thickness of the paint is insufficient to cover it up.  With a pattern (texture) adjustment layer you can reduce its effect here and there using brushed eraser strokes on the layer so that it appears that paint is covering the canvas ground more realistically.  You'll need to experiment.  This is not the process you seek but another approach to achieve something of the same look.The same principal applies to watercolour paint though obviously there is no impasto. 

With textured brush strokes you can always add variety to the depth of the stroke using a Jitter setting. 

• 6. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                    George Middleton Level 1

Thank you. That sounds like a great approach for getting that variety and randomness- short of the brush/paper behavior I'm seeking..

One never knows though- the painting tech of Photoshop continues to steadily improve, and perhaps some day it will have such a capability! Thank you again for your help and advice!

• 7. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                      davidc1815 Level 4

I should add that because the pattern adjustment layer will need to be viewed through a changed Blend Mode (like Multiply or Soft Light) for the texture to visually inhabit the image, you can only erase it when it is being used at a very low opacity (so that the texture is not too dominant). Otherwise there will be a tonal difference between the textured and non textured areas.  If you want to remove selectively dominant texture, you will need to rasterize the pattern adjustment layer (say using the Unsharp Mask at low effect), sample the BW tone with the eye dropper, and then use a brush - like the one you used to make the painting - to paint on grey paint at varying opacities to the pattern adjustment layer to block texture from showing. I sounds more complicated than it is.

• 8. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                        George Middleton Level 1

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

• 9. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Just wanted to add: Ambient Design's ArtRage has the ability to work with canvas grain. There's a bunch of canvases but you can customize the included ones and import your own. (And, of course, there's interoperability since ArtRage can export as PSDs to cover what ArtRage cannot do and vice versa.)

Just a PSA.  

• 10. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                            George Middleton Level 1

Thanks for that heads-up on ArtRage- I've heard good things about it!

• 11. Re: Making a brush react to paper texture
                              Ali Khafaji

Desaturate the background (or any) layer, select it and click edit\define pattern. It puts the layer as a pattern into your brush textures list. Enable and lock texture for brushes and just select your pattern to brush on. The result is incredible!