6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2014 12:41 PM by Avroneel Biswas

Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen

Avroneel Biswas

I am Graphics designer. Currently I am having AOC 22 Verfino. I have been using it since 2009 but now i am facing problem regarding it. It has started to fade out because of its age, therefore i cannot see the BG clearly. I mainly edit photo shoot ( i have to clear the BG totally and make it white for online catalouge purpose) i also retouch photos as well as most graphics related works from designing. etc  I have been cleaning he BG totally but when i am uploading the images in my mobile or in other monitors, i can see clearly there are still black or coloured spots in the BG but while hovering in my Monitor i cannot see anything such spots. So, i guess, its time to move to a new Monitor. I have shortlisted Widescreen (16:10) and Ultrawide Screen (21:9). Considering the future, i think i should buy Ultrawide Screen (21:9) .

I have shortlisted two Models.  1. LG 2. Dell

LG 25UM65: FULL HD UltraWide IPS Monitor| LG India

UltraSharp U2412M 60.9cm (24) Monitor with LED Details | Dell India

I am edging towards the Lg because of its sRGB which is superior than CIE 1976. But because of its aspect ratio of 21:9 and resolution of 2560 x 1080 i think the pictures may get distort while working or while viewing. How would even Photoshop will look like while maximising it ? I know, in this ratio or resolution its ultimate for  viewing movie or playing games. But my main and sole purpose is to work. So i am quite confused.  Kindly help me out. I would also like suggestion for other monitors too but my budget is 20 K max (Indian Rupees)  330$

Cheers
      Avro

• 1. Re: Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Aspect Ratio itself does not distort images.   Images get distorted where users stretch image and use feature like content aware re-size to force and image to a different aspect ratio..  If you were just to use fit on screen or full screen an image that has a different aspect ration then the display would be displayed with border on some or all sides of the image displayed.

Camera capture image with a specific aspect ratio common aspect ratio are  4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 You can also crop away portions of image so the resulting image can any aspect ratio. So you could crop a 3:2 image to a image with a 21:9 aspect ratio.  When that image is displayed fill screen it would fill your 21:9 aspect ratio display have no borders and no distortions. However  the image has a different composition then the one you had to begin with.

21:9 is wide and if it is a desktop display that you sit close to.  You may need to sit back from you desk to take the whole screen in.

An HDTV Video would have borders on the left and right side of the video 320x1080.  1/4 of the screen width would be borders 1/8 on both sides

New 4K displays have a 16:9 aspect ratios where the old IBM 4k display has a 16:10 aspect ratio  3840x2400 pixels.Its only 22.2"  and has a higher resolution the then new corp of larger 16:9  4K displays.

4K displaye may require a newer Display Adapter then the one you have in your machine.  Foe example mt Quarto 4000 max display size is 2560x1600 so I could use a 21:9  2560x1080 display one it but a 4k 3840x2160  would not be good.

• 2. Re: Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It occurs to me that one reason to use an ultra-wide screen is that it approaches the real-estate of a dual monitor, but only uses one connection.  So if your video card only allows two monitors to be connected, you could have a triple monitor setup, or even quad if you used two ultra-wides.  In real world terms, I can't think how you could use two ultra-wides, unless it was one on top of the other, and that would surely not be conducive to a nice workflow.  Noel has an interesting arrangement, but I like my system with 30 inch 1920x1200 main screen, and 24 inch 1920x1200 second screen in portrait mode.  I'd like to add another 24inch 1920x1200 on the other side, but I'd need another card — my GTX570 only supports two screens — and I am concerned that Photoshop does not play nicely with two GPUs.  If anyone knows different, I'd be pleased to hear about it.

• 3. Re: Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

A 21:9 aspect ration may be a good choice for a single display machine for Photoshop.  Currently I use two displays and move most of Photoshop's pallets to the second display outside Photoshop main window. With a 21:9 display you could do something similar on a single display if you have limited desktop space. Something like this where you main PS window would be near 1920x1080

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen
                Avroneel Biswas Level 1

This is my Spec

CPU - i7 3770k

Mobo -Asus Maximus Formlae V

RAM -Corsair Vengenace 8gb (4X2)

GPU -Asus GTX 680 2gb Direct C II

PSU -Tagan Bz 800

Chasis- CM Storm Stryker

Storage - Seagte 2 TB and WD 1 TB

• 5. Re: Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Avroneel Biswas wrote:

I am edging towards the Lg because of its sRGB which is superior than CIE 1976

Just different ways of saying the same thing. These two monitors are identical in this regard and both are sRGB-type displays.

What I always tell people on a budget is to go down in size, not quality. Panel size is the single biggest cost factor.

I know the "paradigm" here on the forum is multiple monitors and maximum screen real estate. Personally I disagree, I work on a single 1920 x 1200 and that's all I ever need. I don't feel restricted at all (and I have several unused monitors sitting around).

I realize your budget is limited, but take a look at the Eizo Foris FS2333 and see if it's a possibility. I don't know the price in India, but here in Norway it's just within the $350-equivalent limit. This is probably the best-value-for-money monitor currently on the market, it's a hidden gem.

• 6. Re: Ultrawide Screen or Widescreen
                    Avroneel Biswas Level 1

Eizo Foris FS2333  is not available here atm and if i do order, it will cost 41.5K (indian Rupees)  680 $