7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 9:19 AM by Leonidas89

Help! Deform the text

Leonidas89

Hello,

As a beginner, please excuse me if you find my request for assistance stupid!

I want to know how to distort the text so that it fits perfectly with a circular animation.

I tried the deformation tools, I find that no permits to do what I want, in fact I can not find similar deformation tool like in photoshop that really allows you to manipulate the text in every way.

I wish the text starts and make a "360 degree"

http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=140824045218689524.png

Thank you,

Baptiste

• 1. Re: Help! Deform the text
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe this is what you want:

1. Create a new text layer with the text centered feeling about half the screen
          2. Pre-compose the text layer
          3. Apply CC cylinder
          4. I just position and rotation
          • 2. Re: Help! Deform the text
            Leonidas89 Level 1

Thank you for your reply, I tried the solution and I do not find it very convincing.

I just want to have some kind of grid that allows me to hook the text, for example between two arches and do this each image so that in the end, get a circular motion.

• 3. Re: Help! Deform the text

It takes a little practice and manipulation. I used a solid to fit the cylinder then adjusted and animated so the text rolls around the building. I'm assuming this is something like what you want to achieve:

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 3.11.46 PM.png

Here's a CS6 project for you to look at. You'll have to use your shot of the building.

• 4. Re: Help! Deform the text
                Trent Armstrong Level 1

If you would like text to be wrapped in a nice, crisp 3D circle; you will need to use the Text Animator 3D settings and a circular mask on the text.

1) Add a Camera to the scene.

2) Add a Null. make it 3D and parent the camera to the Null.

3) Rotate the Null 90º on the X Axis.

4) Create your text and add circular mask. Then set the mask to None.

5) Twirl down your Text and add the Enable Per Character 3D option.

6) You'll need to twirl down your text again so you can see the Path Options.

7) Set Path to Mask 1 and Reverse Path to ON

8) Then select Text> Animate Menu> Rotation and set the X Axis rotation to 90º.

9) At this point your text should be spread around in a circle/cylinder. Use the Layer's 360Degree-Text.jpgZ Axis rotation to spin the text past the camera.

• 5. Re: Help! Deform the text
                  Trent Armstrong Level 1

Here is the 360Degree-Text project, just in case:  https://copy.com/gz3Mq2UEmGyvov6V

• 6. Re: Help! Deform the text

Same result, different approach. You still have to match the perspective of the cylinder to the shape of your building. That is what is required to make the composite believable.

Same idea without the camera. You may find this easier to use to match the perspective of your image:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 8.30.22 AM.png

Per Character 3D is only available in AE CS3 and above so you should have it.

BTW, I don't think it is a good practice to rotate the camera 90º in X using a null. This makes laying out a 3D scene counter intuitive and could cause you other issues down the road. If you did want to add a camera know that perspective, the think you need to match in your image, is controlled by camera position and framing is controlled by zoom factor (focal length). If I were doing your project and wanted to use the 3D text feature I would create the 3D text layer as above with the text layer rotated 90º in X, then add a camera with a standard lens, then position the text layer and adjust the size of the mask so that it was about as wide as the Coliseum, then I would move the camera down in Y only and in and out in Z until the perspective matched. If I needed a wider lens to include all of the text layer I would adjust the zoom factor.

This technique will allow you to add other 3D elements to your scene and have them interact with the scene. If the shot is moving, you could use AE's camera tracker to lock everything up.

• 7. Re: Help! Deform the text
                      Leonidas89 Level 1

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your answers, I tried using the method of Rick, you were right, with a little perseverance, I managed to make a cylinder!

However, I have some questions:

How to make the text follow the shape of the solid?

I try to make this move on a video that is not fixed, in fact, there is a zoom on the central part of the ampitheatre. How to match the solid building all throughout the video, do I transform the cylinder to each image?

Thank you,

Baptiste

Capture d’écran 2014-08-25 à 18.03.42.png