7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 4:32 PM by cdubea

Copying metadata from one photo to another

cdubea

Hi all,

I've recently found a platter full of CD's with originals to a large number of photos in my LightRoom library. The photo's in the library had been converted from ORF's to jpg's a long time ago, before I really understood the value of the raw files.

I've imported all the ORF's and renamed them in my now current scheme in folders similar to the jpg's in my Library.

What I would like to do is copy the metadata from the jpg's to the original ORF's. There are not that many files where I couldn't do it file, by file, but I have no idea how to copy all the metadata in one fell swoop.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• 1. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
          robgendreau Level 3

The problem is that you really want to copy metadata from one similarly named, but not exactly named, file to a sidecar to a ORF file, right? Not the same metadata to each and every file?

This is more like a scripting action, i.e. "copy metadata from 1234.jpg and write that metadat to 1234.orf; then increment by one to 1235.jpg and 1235.orf, and repeat" or such. I haven't figured out how to do that either, but it would be REALLY handy. I ran into the same problem because (long story) I had some jpgs that I was essentially using like XMP sidecars, and wanted them to behave that way.

One way I got around this is to use the jpg to create an XMP file in the same folder with the RAW. And with the same name as the RAW, except for the suffix obviously. So I'd take a jpg that had metada I wanted, create an XMP sidecar from that data (I used Graphic Converter; not sure what else can do this (I couldn't figure out how to do it in LR since it will write to the jpg itself; maybe there's a plugin). So for 1234.jpg it creates 1234.xmp. If it sits in the folder with 1234.raw, then LR, on import, thinks the XMP is connected to the RAW, and bingo, there's the metadata.

Sorta like thinking she's with that guy in the bar, only to find out she's with somebody...RAW.

Anyway, seemed to work. But I'd test before committing to a lot of importing since it seems sorta dangerous that any similarly named XMP could be associated with a photo by the same name. In my case they WERE the same, except for format, but you'd wanna test.

Rob

• 2. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
            areohbee Level 5

You have to use a plugin to automate this, e.g. Relative Antics (by me, free), or Syncomatic (by John Beardsworth, not free).

Rob

• 3. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
              dj_paige Level 9

Exiftool (freeware) will copy from jpg to RAW, in pairs, as a batch operation (although you would have to learn the batch programming language of Exiftool) to make this happen.

I believe that the Syncomatic plugin does this as well.

And there may be other plug-ins that work

• 4. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
                cdubea Level 1

Thanks all for the responses.  Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I volunteered to work all weekend and things are a bit of a jumble at present.

cheers

chris

• 5. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
                  areohbee Level 5

You're welcome, but please summarize how you've solved (if you've solved) this problem, if you don't mind.

• 6. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
                    cdubea Level 1

LOL! I wish I had.  I've not had time to delve into the problem.

Sorry.

Chris

• 7. Re: Copying metadata from one photo to another
                      cdubea Level 1

Well,

I have finally been able to get back to this.

Initially tried Syncomatic because frankly Rob's message about it being a easier to understand UI deflected me away from Relative Antics (more on that later).

What I didn't mention was that I also found a stash of unmolested jpg's from my first digital camera, a Kodak DC285. Attempting to synchronize the metadata with Syncomatic illustrated that it does not copy settings from a jpg to another jpg . Doesn't make any sense, at least to me, but there it is. This is not mentioned anywhere on John's website.

So, I then bucked up my resolve and downloaded Relative Antics.  Rob, dude, you're unnecessarily spooking people. I found your UI concise and easy to use.  The first wave of metadata copying went great.

I'm just starting to get my head around LightRoom and am enjoying it's capabilities, and equally enjoying the user community. Many moons ago I started out with iMatch (long story) and then drifted to iView, which begat Expression Media which finally begat Media Pro in conjunction with Nikon Capture NX and NX2. Last year when I bought a Fuji X100s, I realized I needed to broaden my horizons and jumped into LightRoom.

I recently bought a Dell XPS 13 ultrabook exclusively for running LightRoom.  That way I can massage/manage my photos from the sofa in the living room next to LOML!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.  I greatly appreciate the help.

cheers,

Chris