4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 10:44 AM by jtmd300

Lightroom Mobile File sizes

jtmd300

I want to use LR mobile to transfer some files to my iPad. Do I need to resize and convert to jpg before setting up a folder for transfer? Do I just set uo the transfer file as a collection?

• 1. Re: Lightroom Mobile File sizes
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just use a collection and Lightroom uploads them to the cloud then Lightroom Mobile downloads them.... all automatically as long as an internet connection is available.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Mobile File sizes
            jtmd300 Level 1

OK but if the files are RAW files with sidecars or tifs, are they uploaded in those formats? When I convert to jpeg on export I don't normally keep the jpeg in the LR catalog and I obviously don't want huge tif files taking up space on my iPad. So I assume I need to convert to jpeg and maybe resize before I store these files in a collection for transfer. In other words if I identify a collection to be transferred to my iPad it will take whatever is there in whatever format and transfer it.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Mobile File sizes
              Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you mark a collection for syncing and syncing is enabled, Lightroom automatically converts the collection's photos to Smart Preview versions to save space, and moves those Smart Previews to your iPad. The Smart Preview versions are a lot smaller, but they contain enough information to let you edit them on your iPad as if they were still raw. On the next sync it passes any iPad edits back to the raw files in Lightroom on your computer.

You never have to pre-convert files for Lightroom Mobile, it's always done automatically.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Mobile File sizes
                jtmd300 Level 1

Thanks. That's good to hear.