3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2014 9:26 PM by areohbee

How to make lightroom 5 default instead of old version 3

denone42

How do you make LIGHTROOM 5 default instead of old version 3?

• 1. Re: How to make lightroom 5 default instead of old version 3
          areohbee Level 5

Default what?

I mean, if you want it to be default app for opening .lrcat files, then it depends on the OS.

If you mean the app to open when clicking a shortcut, then edit the shortcut.. (which OS?).

• 2. Re: How to make lightroom 5 default instead of old version 3
            denone42 Level 1

Rob-If I have a photo on my desktop and I click on it -I get option to

open in Lightroom.   If I click on Lightroom it opens to version 3 instead

of 5.5 the

latest version I have.  Just want it to open photo in version 5.

Thanks,

Dennis Lee

• 3. Re: How to make lightroom 5 default instead of old version 3
              areohbee Level 5

denone42 wrote:

If I have a photo on my desktop and I click on it -I get option to

open in Lightroom.

I've heard of this, but never experienced it. For the post part, Lr opens catalogs not photos - dunno if being registered to open photos was a little mistake or on purpose..

One thing I do know, there was a time when opening a photo with Lightroom would sometimes result in the inability to open Lightroom ever again (without some "hacking"), because it tried to open the photo as a catalog, which made it very confused and unhappy.

My guess is: Adobe no longer supports opening photos with Lightroom (and so Lightroom 5 did not register itself to do that when installed, and so you have an old and now obsolete association), even if at one point it did - but I could be wrong.

Sorry I can't be more help - maybe somebody else will be able to offer more insight and/or a solution.

UPDATE: One thing that might help (if you can't get Lr to open photos how you want) - open catalog instead, then drag those photos into Lr library grid.

Good luck,

Rob