1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 1:05 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

My photoshop won't open, it says that the preferences file has been deleted. What do I do?

Heather11

I was just working in my photoshop with no problems, I had just downloaded a free trial pluggin (Filter Forge) but that wasn't working, so I tried to close photoshop to re open it and it wasn't responding so I had to force quit it, and when I went to reopen it this box pops up..... "Could not initialize photoshop because the preferences file was invalid (it has been deleted)" I looked up how to fix this and I went under the library on my MAC to try and find the preferences file to move it because they said that would help, well I forgot.....the file has somehow been deleted. My other option that I haven't tried yet is to open photoshop and do the shortcut keys that resets everything but Im nervous to do that because I don't know what will get reset. Any help will be awesome I have several projects Im working on and need to finish!

Thanks

• 1. Re: My photoshop won't open, it says that the preferences file has been deleted. What do I do?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
          I haven't tried yet is to open photoshop and do the shortcut keys that resets everything but Im nervous to do that because I don't know what will get reset.

If you have not saved your custom presets for some time you should naturally lose those when opening with cmd-alt-shift pressed and selecting to "delete settings file" – but you can consider this a learning experience.

Apart from the presets you also need to set your Preferences (Interface, Performance, …) again after that if you had in any way changed them from the default settings.