4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 1:49 AM by gwenne84

After effects CC 2014 transparency properties of pre comps, collapse transformation on, no longer keyframeable???!!!

gwenne84 Level 1

Hey there,

lately I'm using After effects CC 2014. Now I had to make the experience, after optimizing (collapse transformation) the pre comp, the global property transparency is no longer working.

I can make keyframes but the pre comp acts like my easy ease keyframes are hold keyframes. Btw if the collapse transformation button is unchecked it works fine but than i don't have the optimization features. It's a catch 22. Sure, I can go into my pre comp and set the keyframes there, but this is pretty annoying and seriously not the way to work.

So is that a bug in CC 2014?

Help is needed.

Computer specs:

Mac osX 10.9.4

2 x 2,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

Thanks for any advice

Gwen

• 1. Re: After effects CC 2014 transparency properties of pre comps, collapse transformation on, no longer keyframeable???!!!
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is very difficult to understand what your problem may be without seeing or understanding precise structure of your project. We need a screenshot that shows the project and reveals all of the changed properties on the layers you are having problems with. Because your problem involves a pre-comp a flowchart would also help.

• 2. Re: After effects CC 2014 transparency properties of pre comps, collapse transformation on, no longer keyframeable???!!!
            gwenne84 Level 1

Hey Rick,

I found the mistake which cause the problem.

The second I use layer styles in the precomp, I get this problem. can you explain why??

• 3. Re: After effects CC 2014 transparency properties of pre comps, collapse transformation on, no longer keyframeable???!!!
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Layer styles render in a different order so lots of things can get fouled up with you use them. They are still usable in complex situations, you just have to apply them in the right place in your composite. I've never found a situation where I needed a Layer Style and another effect that I have not been able to work around the limitation.

There are other things that change the render order. After Effects only does one thing at a time. The basic render order is listed right in the timeline view. Here's a sample.

Basic effect with Layer Style turned off:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 7.44.17 AM.png

First Mask 1 is applied to the layer, then Mask 2 is subtracted creating the hole

Then Fast Blur is applied, then Bevil Edges to create the button with the soft edges

Then the Transform controls take over and the anchor point is evaluated, the position reported, then the scale, then the rotation, and finally the opacity

Then the Layer Style is applied.

In my button design I want to apply a stroke to the button so that I looks like this but with the soft base and a stroke on the inside hole:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 7.43.39 AM.png

But, as you can see I had to turn off the Fast Blur to get the stroke to work because the Layer Style Stroke is calculated from the alpha channel, which fast blur has made 76 pixels wide so with Fast Blur on I get this:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 7.44.00 AM.png

The solution to my problem is to pre-compose and add the layer style to the pre-comp, then use an adjustment layer with masks for the fast blur to get what I wanted in the first place:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 8.04.39 AM.png

So here's what AE is doing with the final project.

1. The background layer is rendered
              2. The pre comp is added to the mix
                1. Inside the pre-comp the layer is rendered
                2. Mask 1 is added to give rounded corners
                3. Mask 2 is subtracted to punch the hole
                4. Layer styles are applied to add the stroke
              3. Back in the main comp the pre-comp is rendered
              4. Bevel Edges is applied to the pre-comp using the alpha chanel
              5. Now the adjustment layer is added to the mix
              6. Mask 1 is added and this limits the area in the underlying layers where effects applied to the adjustment layer will  work
              7. Mask 2 is subtracted from the adjustment layer poking a hole in the effects
              8. The fast Blur is added blurring only the bottom edge of the button

There you have it. An in depth tutorial on the rendering order in AE and how to use nesting and pre-comps to reorder effects to get what you want.

• 4. Re: After effects CC 2014 transparency properties of pre comps, collapse transformation on, no longer keyframeable???!!!
                gwenne84 Level 1

Thank you very much Rick for your time and the really great explanation.