7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 3:48 PM by jerry864

Gradients in Strokes?

miguelitus
      Hey, good afternoon.. sorry for my english.. only talk fine spanish.. ;-))

I have a question, that i need now for make a weg 2.0 logo.

Case studie 1:
      - make a text
      - apply traze filter (live photohop), color gradient.. But the gradient only is black to white, how can i change this colors?

Case Study 2:
      - make a rectangule, with a color gradient, ok no problem..
      - but, i like with the stroke, 20 PX, but not with a simple color, i need the border with a gradient... how¿?

please i have this question along time ago, but i cant find the solution...
      THX
        • 1. Re: Gradients in Strokes?
          Level 7
          miguelitus wrote:

> Case Study 2:
          > - make a rectangule, with a color gradient, ok no problem..
          > - but, i like with the stroke, 20 PX, but not with a simple color, i need the
          > border with a gradient... how??

Clone the rectangle (Edit > Clone). Choose Modify > Alter Path > Expand
          Stroke. Make the width what you like. Use the 45 degree angle for
          corners, leave the Miter limit at 10, and choose an end style. Fill with
          a gradient but use no stroke.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Gradients in Strokes?
            pixlor Level 4
            quote:

Originally posted by: miguelitus
            Case studie 1:
            - make a text
            - apply traze filter (live photohop), color gradient.. But the gradient only is black to white, how can i change this colors?

You can make color gradients for text in Fireworks:
            http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x123/pixlor/Fireworks/gradients.png

quote:

Case Study 2:
            - make a rectangule, with a color gradient, ok no problem..
            - but, i like with the stroke, 20 PX, but not with a simple color, i need the border with a gradient... how¿?

Another way:
            Make two rectangles, one the size of the inside and one that is 40 px bigger - for example, 250x100 and 290x140.
            Align the centers of the rectangles with the smaller one on top.
            Select both, then combine the paths and punch (my menu is Modify> Combine Paths > Punch, it is next to Union and Intersect)
            You can apply a gradient to this object.

• 3. Re: Gradients in Strokes?
              miguelitus Level 1
              YEah yeah... sorry.. the case 2, its more easy..

i think that i not explain fine:
              Case studie 1:
              - make a text

I know work in fireworks, and apply gradients, shapes....
              BUT HOW I APLLY A GRADIENT IN A BORDER TEXT?
              thats its the big question for me...

thx for the other post... ;-))
              • 4. Re: Gradients in Strokes?
                pixlor Level 4
                "Traze filter." I think you're in a different language version than I am, because I don't have this by this name. Maybe it would be better if you asked Photoshop questions on the Photoshop forum? Or, can you post a screen shot of where it is and what it looks like when applied?

"Gradient in a border text." Um...I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean "apply a gradient to a stroke on text?" Hmm. You can try this:
                Make a rectangle with the gradient you want.
                Make the text with either no fill or black fill and a white stroke.
                Put the text above the rectangle and select both.
                Select Modify > Mask > Group as Mask

The only difference you'll see between no fill and black fill is if you click on the drop down box next to the pencil in the Properties palette, select Stroke Options (bottom button), then check the box to put the "Fill over stroke." Otherwise, the stroke is along the outline.

• 5. Re: Gradients in Strokes?
                  miguelitus Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
                  Make a rectangle with the gradient you want.
                  Make the text with either no fill or black fill and a white stroke.
                  Put the text above the rectangle and select both.
                  Select Modify > Mask > Group as Mask

I only can say this: "SO MANY THX"
                  thats its so fine for me... and in all moment is a text and stroke editable.

SO COOL... but i think that this effect need stay on fireworks more easy and accesible for the users, no¿?

thx for the solution... ;-))

• 6. Gradients in Strokes?
                    pixlor Level 4
                    You're welcome!

You can use anything under the text shape, since the text shape is used as a mask. An image would work, too. If there's something in the Photoshop filter you really want, then, maybe you could make an image of that, import it as a a bitmap, and mask it with the text? Not sure.

• 7. Re: Gradients in Strokes?
                      jerry864
                      Hey all, Don't know why cs4 wouldn't have a stroke with a gradient option. I've tried the mentioned above, and it works fine but when zoomed in at 300% you can tell that it actually makes 2 px? I've tried the photoshop live effects and i can get the stroke with gradient, but its default in b/w and i can't change. Any help!!?!?