4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 8:28 AM by it@caotti.net

How to get roto brush back

it@caotti.net Level 1

I'm very new to After Effects. I've been following a tutorial in using the Roto Brush to blur a TV screen in a video. After selecting the areas I wanted with the roto brush, I ran a gaussian blur effect.

The tutorial had me create a duplicate layer and delete the roto brush effect from that duplicate.

When I previewed what I had done, the effect wasn't blurred enough in parts, so I figured I had to go  back and refine the roto brush selection.

So I used Edit>History to step back to before just before I created the duplicate layer, but after I created the roto brush selections.

Except now I don't see the areas I selected with the roto brush tool outlined as they were, even when I've selected the roto brush tool.

Am I missing something? Can I get my roto brush selections back, or do I have to do it all over again?

• 1. Re: How to get roto brush back
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rotobrush is only usable and editable in the Layer Panel. Double click the layer you want to Rotobrush and select the tool. You should be good to go.

There are great Rotobrush tutorials in the help files. Type Rotobrush in the Search After Effects Help field at the top right corner of the app to find this: Roto Brush and Refine Matte | CS6

• 2. Re: How to get roto brush back
            it@caotti.net Level 1

Thanks, but I did double click and have the layer open with the roto brush tool selected, but I still don't see everything I selected while working on it all last week.

So I guess my choices are to either go back to the end product I wasn't satisfied with before I stepped back in history, or start all over again from scratch.

• 3. Re: How to get roto brush back
              it@caotti.net Level 1

I just stumbled onto the solution. Apparently I needed to click the Toggle Alpha Boundary button.

• 4. Re: How to get roto brush back
                it@caotti.net Level 1

It happened again, and this time, clicking the Toggle Alpha Boundary button isn't helping.

I remained stepped back before I created the duplicate layer and I adjusted my roto brush selections in the entire clip.

The tutorial I'm following said to duplicate the layer, which I did, then delete the roto brush instance from the bottom layer.

Then it said to apply the effect I want (Gaussian blur in my case) to the top layer. I set it at 65 which worked great yesterday. But today, nothing blurred.

So I tried to find my roto brush selection, but I can't get it to turn on again, even though I am on the correct layer, in the layer panel (not the composition panel), with the roto brush selected. And using the Toggle Alpha boundary button does nothing.