4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 12:37 PM by ssprengel

Store catalog and presets on spideroak hive or USB 3.0 flashdrive?

DTTODGG

Hello, this is my first post, please forgive any errors.

I have a licensed copy of LR5 loaded on a Lenovo W510 laptop and a Lenovo Helix.

I have filled 2 external drives which have my photos on them.

I own, but have not yet setup a Synology DS713 where I would like to set up 2 3Tb RAID storage drives for my photos.

I own, but have not yet setup a Kingston 128 3.0 flashdrive where I would like to set up my LIGHTROOM files.

This would include the catalog, presets, user config files, etc... everything that makes LR5 - "ME".

My questions are:

1) What files do I need to move to the flashdrive so I can look like the same session no matter which device I am on?

---Please be very specific. Is the folder structure critical? I know about lrcat and preset and smart preview, but what about other LR5 config? my watermark? my purchased presets? my import and export preferences, etc...

2) Will LR5 find these files (catalog, preset, config) if they are on a flashdrive?

2a) If LR5 can find them on a flashdrive, what if I moved all these files to my SpiderOak Hive? It would look like the flashdrive, just faster and auto sync'ed.

3) How difficult and are there any tricks or traps I need to know about to move photos from my externals to the NAS RAID system?

My questions about CC are:

1) For $9.99/mo what is the storage size? Or cost to increase?

2) If I get the above items working, would I even need CC (other than if I want to work on my iPhone or iPad)?

I have had these ideas swirling around my head, but I just am not certain how to get everything connected and working - or even if it is possible!

Thank you SOOOO much!

Julie

• 1. Re: Store catalog and presets on spideroak hive or USB 3.0 flashdrive?
          dj_paige Level 9

Honestly, I think putting any files (but especially the catalog file) on a flash drive for usage like this is a dangerous way to go. You'd be better off getting your synology up and running and putting everything but the catalog and previews on the synology. The catalog file ought to remain on one of the 2 external drives, and said external drive should be moved from computer to computer to allow you to access the exact same catalog file from both computers.

Spider Oak and Dropbox and similar services can be used for all files, although you may suffer a speed penalty for having your files in the cloud, and you'd have to be sure everything has updated before you use the files.

If/when you move your photos, you must keep the directory structure the same as it is now. You do NOT move photos or folders around within the existing directory structure. If necessary, you reconnect your Lightroom catalog to the new location of the photos, see Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: Store catalog and presets on spideroak hive or USB 3.0 flashdrive?
            DTTODGG Level 1

dj_paige,

Thank you for your input.

I think I will try the flashdrive approach rather than cloud-based catalog - for now. I can always have SpiderOak backup my files, in case the flashdrive crashes. It seems like that would run faster than waiting for the cloud and worrying about syncing before overwriting the catalog. My laptop and tablet both have USB 3.0 so I'm hoping this will make me very portable and fast. Keeping all my presets (Watermarks, exports, etc...) and of course, the catalog.

Questions:

So, am I moving all the files from the AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom folder to the flashdrive ... maybe L:Presets\Lightroom\*.* ? Presets and config files

And, I am moving all the files from the MyPictures\Lightroom\ folder to the flashdrive ... maybe L:\Catalog\Lightroom\*.*? Includes catalog, previews and smart previews

Does this make sense? Will LR find all these files on the flashdrive? Can I delete them from the C: drive on both machines - after tested on flashdrive?

Comments:

Once I accomplish this, I will move all my photos from the multiple external drives to the Synology NAS RAID-1.

So excited ... and frightened.

Question:

With this setup, do I gain any advantage to using the Creative Cloud? Other than being able to keyword and edit on my iPhone?

Thanks in advance for all of your time.

Julie

• 3. Re: Store catalog and presets on spideroak hive or USB 3.0 flashdrive?
              dj_paige Level 9

Questions:

So, am I moving all the files from the AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom folder to the flashdrive ... maybe L:Presets\Lightroom\*.* ? Presets and config files

And, I am moving all the files from the MyPictures\Lightroom\ folder to the flashdrive ... maybe L:\Catalog\Lightroom\*.*? Includes catalog, previews and smart previews

Does this make sense?

The idea of moving your catalog file to a flash drive seems to me to be an unacceptable thing to do. You will notice your catalog will slow to a crawl, and the constant writing to the catalog that Lightroom does will stress the flash drive, it simply wasn't meant for that much constant writing. In fact, I don't even know if Lightroom will allow a catalog file to work on a flash drive.

So that's my answer ... don't do it. Maybe I'm 100% wrong (it won't be the first time), maybe you'll demonstrate that I'm wrong, but until then, I have no other advice.

• 4. Re: Store catalog and presets on spideroak hive or USB 3.0 flashdrive?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I store my catalog and photos on a USB3.0 WB Passport 2TB external hard-drive.  It is a lot slower on my USB2 computer than the USB3 computer.

Whether it makes sense to put things on a flash drive depends a lot on the read and write speeds of it when plugged in.  You can copy 100MB of files from one place to another on your internal hard-drive then do the same thing on your external flash drive and see what the difference in speed is, both reading and writing.

An internal drive is cached in memory by default, whereas a flash drive won’t be, so that will also make a big difference.