10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 3:43 PM by Greg Baber Branched to a new discussion.

audio rendering

rainbow65

I'm a new AE user and I need help with a audio rendering problem.  I have created several projects (no audio) and rendered them with no problems. When I render the same projects with audio, the issue is intermittent audio playback in the resulting mov file. 

The file audio type used is AIFF and the Audio Output option is set in Output Module Setting.

Need any HELP I can get.

• 1. Re: audio rendering
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We need to know a lot more if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

• 2. Re: audio rendering
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need to know more about your render settings. The type of compression depends on the codec you are using to render.

if you are rendering for the web I would suggest using the Adobe Media Encoder and one of the standard H.264 presets like YouTube HD.

if you are rendering something like QuickTime with JPEG compression them your audio settings should be linear PCM 48 kHz.

There is a lot of help available on rendering by simply typing rendering in the search help field at the top right corner of AE. Here's the first link that you will get when you do that: After Effects Help | Basics of rendering and exporting

• 3. Re: audio rendering
              rainbow65 Level 1
              • What exact version of After Effects? Include the minor version number---e.g., After Effects CC (12.2.1) or After Effects CS6 (11.0.4). Do not just say "After Effects with the latest updates" or "After Effects CC"; give the specific version number.  After Effects CS6 11.0.3.6
              • Have you installed the recent updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.) NO
              • What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".  Mac OS X 10.8.5
              • If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)? N/A
              • What were you doing when the problem occurred? What is the exact sequence of steps that you are taking? Play rendered file with QuickTime Player
              • Has this ever worked before? If this worked before by doesn't work now, what has changed on your computer in the intervening time? No
              • Tell us about your computer hardware. Include CPU type and number of processor cores, amount of RAM installed, GPU, number and sizes of connected monitors, number of disk drives, and how any external drives are connected. i7 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Memory
              • What versions of drivers for your graphics hardware do you have installed (including CUDA driver and driver for display adapter)? NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB
              • Do you have any third-party I/O hardware (e.g., AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic, MOTU)? rocketfish 500GB
              • What kind(s) of source footage? When telling about your source footage, tell us about the codecs, not just the container types. For example, "H.264 in a .mov container", not just "QuickTime".
              • Do you have QuickTime installed. (You should.) If so, what version? The answer should be specific, such as "QuickTime 7.6.2". QuickTime Player 10.2
              • What other software are you running? Photoshop CS6 13.0
              • Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Not Sure
              • Are you using OpenGL features in After Effects? NO
              • Does the problem only happen with your final output, RAM preview, or both? Final output Only
              • Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing? Output Module.pngNO
              • Are you using the ray-traced 3D renderer? NO
              • If the problem is with output, give your exact output settings (both render setting and output module settings). Screenshots help.
              • 4. Re: audio rendering
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Files created with the Animation codec are not intended to be played back in real time in a media player. They are intended as intermediate files in a post-production workflow. It is possible that your stuttery playback is because your hard drive and media player are struggling to keep up with the enormous data rates involved in trying to play back such files.

See this:

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

• 5. Re: audio rendering
                  rainbow65 Level 1

aside from using an SSD drive what is the recommended process or procedure to produce the motion graphic output file with video?  My intent was to use the mov files as part of a DVD or Blu-ray

• 6. Re: audio rendering
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're creating movies for DVD or Blu-ray Disc, use the respective encoding presets for DVD and Blu-ray Disc in Adobe Media Encoder.

• 7. Re: audio rendering
                      rainbow65 Level 1

As I've said I a new user and not familiar with all software and options. I've made two attempts to use Adobe Media Encoder with the respective presets for DVD and Blu-ray and each attempt products a file that had no audio.  The files were added to Media Encoder from the File menu selection, Add After Effects Composition, DVD presets were verified, output filename entered and start encoding selected.

I still don't have audio in the resulting output files

• 8. Re: audio rendering
                        Greg Baber Adobe Employee

By default the DVD and Blu-Ray presets do not have Multiplexing turned on, which means you will get two files - one for video, one for audio.  You can turn it on, or look for both files to be added to the DVD.

• 9. Re: audio rendering
                          rainbow65 Level 1

Your answer is somewhat clear, but doesn't provide enough detail for me to act.

How do you turn on Multiplexing?

What do you mean look for both files to be added to the DVD?

• 10. Re: audio rendering
                            Greg Baber Adobe Employee

A) There is a multiplexing tab in the options that you get when you click on Format Options in the Render Queue.  You can change it from None to DVD

B) In the directory where the file is created, you will see three files, typically.  A video file, an audio file and a xmp sidecar.