5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 1:03 PM by ghijohansson RSS

newbie problems = how replace poor audio & save for vimeo upload

ghijohansson

I use Windows 8.1 and PE 12.

As part of a long film, I use one and the same short .wav file multiple times. But now I have realized that the sound in that .wav file is too poor. The simplest solution would be to improve the sound quality, create a new .wav file with the same name and length.

Will PE 12 accept that I replace one file with another? Or do I have to edit eveything once again?

It would take hours to find every case when I use that .wav file, so it would save me a lot of time if I don't need to edit everything once again.

Before I upload to Vimeo, I need to save a file because I upload from another computer. I film in PAL but the only alternative for saving for HD vimeo is in NTSC. As far as I can see, I simply replace the frame rate and choose PAL instead of NTSC. But should I choose "save filter setting" or "save FTP setting"?

• 1. Re: newbie problems = how replace poor audio & save for vimeo upload
          A.T. Romano Community Member

ghijohansson

Let us start with your second question.

You are creating/exporting a file from another computer. What program?

I lost you when you wrote

I film in PAL but the only alternative for saving for HD vimeo is in NTSC ....and..... But should I choose "save filter setting" or "save FTP setting"?

If you are exporting a Premiere Elements 12 PAL project to file for upload to Vimeo at the Vimeo web site, you have every opportunity to export with PAL settings.

But, for HD settings, typically NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance as they do for SD. But there is the consideration for regional frame rates.

Where are you seeing these "save filter setting" and "save FTP setting"? These appear to be Vimeo settings, not Premiere Elements.

Uploading with FTP on Vimeo

I have not been there and done that ['knowingly". So, I present the link for informational purposes for you to make your decision on which of the apparently Vimeo options will work best for your situation.

As for your first question....

a. Replace Footage feature.

If you have poor and edited audio on the Timeline and it is tracing back to its thumbnail in Project Assets, if you right click its Project Assets thumbnail and select Replace Footage, you will replace one audio for the other, but the new audio with retain the edits of the one it is replacing. That is the major perk of Replace Footage which may not be to your advantage.

b. Other.

Import the new and improved audio into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders, delete the poor audio, and drag the new and improved audio in to replace.

Please review.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: newbie problems = how replace poor audio & save for vimeo upload
            ghijohansson Community Member

Thanks for answering.

Question 1, yes, I want the editing to be exactly the same for the new sound file. The only difference between the new and the old file is that the sound is better.

Question 2, OK, you want more details.

Right now I am sitting at that computer I use for internet, not at the one I use for editing. So I am forced to rely on my memory since the editing computer is turned off for the moment.

I have a project on the timeline. I go to "publish and share" in PE 12. Choose saving to computer. Choose AVCHD. There is one alternative for HD vimeo. That alternative is NTSC. So I go to "advanced options". There I can change to 25 frames per second (i film 50i). Then PE 12 asks me if I want to "save filter setting" or "save FTP setting".

I need to know which alternative I should choose. Because I must save a file with PE 12, then move that file to the computer I use right now.

If FTP means file transfer protocol, then it appears more logical to choose the other alternative, because I simply want PE 12 to create an ordinary file which I can upload by using vimeo's upload command. But please correct me if I have misunderstood.

• 3. Re: newbie problems = how replace poor audio & save for vimeo upload

ghijohansson

When you use Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer and the Advanced Settings, the save dialog for the customized preset contains the options

Save Filter Settings and Save FTP Setting whether or not the preset being customized is for Vimeo or not.

exportcustopre.JPG

If you want a "regular" and have not added any filters, I would leave both unchecked.

And, with regard to the other question about replacing footage, if you have good footage to be used for the replacement and the Timeline footage is just bad without any project edits, then there is a good likelihood that Replace Footage should work for you unless you want to do it via the route of delete bad, replace with good imported audio (probably holding down the Alt key when you make the addition to the existing Timeline around the space that is going to receive the good footage.

And, NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance for HD as for SD. It is just the frame rates (NTSC 29.97/30; PAL 25) that are still of concern for regional purposes.

Thanks for the follow up details.

ATR

• 4. Re: newbie problems = how replace poor audio & save for vimeo upload

ghijohansson

Just a note...

Your question about those options in the Save dialog for the export settings profile was very interesting.

As I wrote, my current thinking on that is to leave both options

Save Filter Settings

Save FTP Settings

unchecked.

But I did not remember really paying much attention to them previously. So, I started some looking into their history.

So far, it appear that they first appear in Premiere Elements 12. I do not see them in versions either than 12 as options in the Name dialog

for the customized preset or elsewhere. There reason for being is not obvious to me, especially where they are found in 12.

Doing some homework on all this.

ATR

• 5. Re: newbie problems = how replace poor audio & save for vimeo upload
                  ghijohansson Community Member

Many thanks. You are as helpful as ever.