1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 1:37 PM by Rick Gerard

after affects and red dpx workflow

phillyac Level 1

Hi Guys.....I need some advice. I have been asked to perform some compositing in AE CC 2014 using Red Epic footage. What is the best workflow? I have read that most VFX houses ask for the R3D files to be converted to 10 bit DPX sequences. Which color space should I set my AE project to when I import them into AE to work in a Red Log Film color space? How can I "normalize" the red footage so I can complete the comp in a correct linear image? Do I use adjustment layers with a lut? When I export, do I set the output to a Log format like Universal Camera Printing Density so the colorist has a log space to work in with the fx added? I'm confused....am I on the right page...any help is much appreciated, thank you!

• 1. Re: after affects and red dpx workflow
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are working on a project with other folks who are on the same workflow get the specs from them. The only time you look like you don't know what you are doing is when you don't ask. Almost every post house I have ever done work for has their own unique workflow. Unfortunately there does not to be a single universal setup that will work for all.

Other than that, go to Red User forums and survey recommended workflows.