26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 7:16 PM by areohbee

lightroom converted my raws into jpegs

iam_tdphoto

I didnt realize this until now (imported a few weeks ago) is there any way to get the originals?!

• 1. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
          areohbee Level 5

Lightroom doesn't convert raws to jpegs unless you export, and re-import.. I'm guessing you imported the jpegs instead of the raws or something.

Or maybe you think the raws you're looking at are jpeg. Please post a screenshot of what you see, and/or describe what you did when importing.. - we need a little more to go on - thanks.

• 2. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
            iam_tdphoto Level 1

screenshot.png

This is what opens when I insert my card.

• 3. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
              areohbee Level 5

Very nice screenshot.

So, you are importing photos from a card, into Lightroom 4.0, Windows OS - good info to start with.

Now, what makes you think Lightroom is "converting raws to jpegs"? I mean, it doesn't/can't/won't (upon import), as I think about it, so how are you thinking about it?

I see two possibilities at the moment:

* you're seeing the raws and thinking they're jpegs.

* You imported the jpegs, and are looking at them.

Could one of those possibilities be what's happening? Or is it something else..

Rob

• 4. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                iam_tdphoto Level 1

Ok so I had a labor session a few weeks ago for a friend and I was asked if I would give her the raw images; this was fine... so after I imported from my card into lightroom and into its new home (a folder) I then separated the ones I wanted to edit for her collection and placed those in another folder. My Huge problem is that both folders are set in jpeg!!! NOTE: Ive never had to hand over raws and looking through past sessions they are all multi-folder jpeg. My friend is fine if I cant retrieve the raws but I really didn't realize that both sets were saving as jpegs. #Ifeelhorrible

• 5. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                  iam_tdphoto Level 1

the only thing that I am finding is to convert to dng. files

• 6. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                    areohbee Level 5

Which mode were you shooting in?:

A. Raw only.

B. Jpeg only.

C. Raw+Jpeg.

If B, just tell your friend you are sorry - the raws are not available (they weren't saved by your camera).

If A or C, there may be hope..

Rob

• 8. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                      iam_tdphoto Level 1

Thank you very much for trying to help me; I appreciate it!

• 9. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                        areohbee Level 5

You're welcome.

But what seems to be happening seems impossible.

In other words, if you import raws:

* they stay raw

* they stay where they were imported to.

Unless you, ya know, do something..

So, I'm still trying to figure out:

* Did you import the raws? (if so, how, exactly..).

* Have you done "something" (whatever that means..).

Are the photos you see in Lightroom raw, or jpeg? (are you sure??)

Are they present on disk? (no "missing" indicator).

What happens if you right-click and choose "Show in Explorer"?

Rob

• 10. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                          iam_tdphoto Level 1

they are jpeg in lrscreen shotlr.png

• 11. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                            iam_tdphoto Level 1

they are not on disk they were put into folders one of which is what I thought was raw and unedited and the other a black and white jpeg collection which is placed in another folder.

• 12. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                              iam_tdphoto Level 1

OK a bit of good news Ive found them only thing is they are not in their own folder its catalogs "all photographs"... when I tried to export one it exported in nef but would not open unless converted to jpeg

• 13. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                areohbee Level 5

iam_tdphoto wrote:

OK a bit of good news Ive found them only thing is they are not in their own folder its catalogs "all photographs"...

Yes - progress, good.

A point of terminology: "all photographs" is a special (built-in) Lightroom collection - like a smart collection with invisible "rules".

Now it sounds like, either:

* You actually shot raw+jpeg, and imported both separately, then the jpegs or raws were moved, or

* You converted raws to jpeg via some other software then imported the jpegs in Lightroom.

* You exported the raws in jpeg format, and re-imported them back into the catalog.

There are no other ways, for Lr to "convert a raw to jpeg", unless I've missed something.

At this point, I think it's worth finding out where the raws are, physically, on disk.

To do so, right click and choose "Show in Explorer" - do that for a representative sample - see a pattern forming?

(another option: roll your mouse over the 'Folder' metadata item in Library - right-hand panel)

I also think it would be worthwhile to find out where your raws are in Lightroom (folders) - right-click and choose: Go To Folder In Library.

Are your raws edited (have Lightroom settings and metadata applied)? Or are only the jpegs edited in Lightroom(?).

Rob

• 14. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                  areohbee Level 5

iam_tdphoto wrote:

they are not on disk they were put into folders

Technically, a "true" (disk) folder, by definition, resides on a disk (or SSD etc..). Do you mean "collections" (i.e. not true folders).

Anyway, let me know when you locate your raws:

* in Lightroom (outside the "all photographs" collection) - whether you find in folders or collections.

* outside of Lightroom (on disk, in true folders, as shown in Windows Explorer).

And let me know if they've been edited yet (in Lightroom).

R

• 15. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                    iam_tdphoto Level 1

ok; thanks a million!

• 16. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                      areohbee Level 5

iam_tdphoto wrote:

when I tried to export one it exported in nef but would not open unless converted to jpeg

If you want to give raws to your friend, then exporting the raws in original format is a good idea, although if your friend has Lightroom, consider exporting as catalog instead (file menu).

But yeah: you have to export in the format you want, which can be original (e.g. raw), or tif, or jpeg..

But I think it's a good idea to know where your raws are (outside "All Photographs" collection), and be properly organized, before you export anything for your friend - unless you just can't get it together in time..

Rob

• 17. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                        iam_tdphoto Level 1

folder.png

so here is where they were hiding the images that are showing are the black and white collection which are jpeg the other is the original files... how do I get this onto a disc, folder, sd card to deliver and how can I change where the images rest?

• 18. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                          areohbee Level 5

Preview of coming attractions:

After you learn where the active copies are - make sure you know where your backups are (and if you don't have backups, make them!).

You should backup:

* Catalog, and

* Photo source files.

(at a minimum)

Rob

• 19. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                            iam_tdphoto Level 1

so do I now import these files back into lightroom so that they can be opened on her end? If so do I export as original? Sorry for the hassle; you are a life saver!!

• 20. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                              areohbee Level 5

iam_tdphoto wrote:

so here is where they were hiding the images that are showing are the black and white collection which are jpeg the other is the original files... how do I get this onto a disc, folder, sd card to deliver and how can I change where the images rest?

A couple points:

* The raws are (presumably) in the same place they were imported to - which you control (if you don't know why they are where they are, then pay more attention to options in the import dialog box next time - and do some experimentation..).

* The black and whites either came from camera or you exported in same folder as original.

To move - drag and drop in Lightroom (to existing folder), or right click a folder (to be parent) and choose "create a new folder inside" and assure "include selected photos" is checked.

• 21. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                                iam_tdphoto Level 1

Will Do All of the Above; thanks again! Have an awesome week!!

• 22. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                                  areohbee Level 5

iam_tdphoto wrote:

do I now import these files

You should NEVER (except in very unusual circumstances), re-import photos which already exist in Lightroom, and yours do (the raws I mean, they're imported in Lightroom, right? - they exist in the catalog right? - i.e. they are in the "all photographs" collection, as well as somewhere else, right? ).

Are the raws edited (in Lightroom)? or did you only edit jpegs?

Does your friend have Lightroom?

R

• 23. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                                    iam_tdphoto Level 1

She does not... and some of the B&W's were raws and some were jpeg

• 24. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                                      areohbee Level 5

If she does not have Lightroom, then she won't be able to see Lr edits to the raws unless you export them in jpeg format (or tiff..).

Not only that, but she won't be able to see Lr edits to the jpegs either, unless you export those in jpeg format too (or tiff..).

So, if all the files you want to send are represented by a photo in Lightroom, then you want to do 2 things:

* Export jpeg copies (no reason to use tiff if originals/raws will accompany) - so she has a viewable copy with Lr edits.

* Export original raws, so she has the raws, for whatever purpose (consider a separate export destination, so she has: originals in one tree, and derivatives (copies that are viewable outside Lightroom as edited in Lightroom) in another).

If you want to maintain directory structure when exporting, then I recommend a plugin like TreeSync Publisher (which supports ordinary exporting, not just publishing). I wrote it, and it's free. The other option for maintaining source folder structure is to export derivatives to same folder as original, then zip up the source folder and send.

Rob

• 25. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                                        iam_tdphoto Level 1

Sorry Rob I was able to open them I had to go to nikon imaging and redownload nef codec so that the files would show image and open.

• 26. Re: lightroom converted my raws into jpegs
                                                          areohbee Level 5

What you are seeing with that codec is out-of-camera jpeg preview embedded in raw file. Neither you (nor your friend) will be able to see Lr edits that way - you probably already knew that, but if not: now ya do..

R