7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 1:44 PM by Szalam

Parented behaviour but not

Wermount2323 Level 1

Hi there! I have big trouble. I made a few OBJECT and animate this. Then I copied it and paste. But when I change something in one object this makes my ALL objects like the same. But there are not "parented". So, why when I change 1 object, every object is changed too?

I will explain it in this video also. See that I am changing ONLY ONE status percent bar, but after that my whole bars are the same. See:

And remember - objects are not parented. I only made 1 percent bar and duplicated it 4 times.

How can I edit only 1 bar, every separately? Please, help me step by step. I don't get it what is wrong

• 1. Re: Parented behaviour but not
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I cannot see your video but I am guessing that your object is a pre-comp that you have duplicated. Duplicating A pre-comp in the timeline using command/control + d will not give you a unique copy of the pre-comp. You need to duplicate the pre-comp in the project panel and then open each one individually and make your changes there.

The other thing that could have happened is that you created a shape player that is controlled by expression control placed on another layer or null. If that is what you did then the know will control all of your layers.

I am not sure how you hosted your demo video, but if you put it on YouTube others will be able to see it and we will have a better idea of what is wrong.

• 2. Re: Parented behaviour but not
            Wermount2323 Level 1

Ah, video is broken, as private. My fault.

Hi Rick! You were absolutely right! I duplicated pre-comp in my timeline. And I have to duplicate it in my project windows, not in the timeline workspace. So you were completely right! Thanks for this tip so much. I didn't realize how it works.

So, everytime when we duplicate something in our timelane it's have been autmaticaly "parented", right? When we duplicate something in project windows, a copies are not integrated. Right?

• 3. Re: Parented behaviour but not
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wermount2323 wrote:

So, everytime when we duplicate something in our timelane it's have been autmaticaly "parented", right?

Not really. Parenting is something else entirely. When you put something on the timeline, it is just referencing something in the project window. So, when you duplicate something on the timeline, you are just telling After Effects, "I want another instance of this asset from the project window." Other than shape layers or text layers, everything on the timeline (including solid layers) are a reference to something in the project panel.

Wermount2323 wrote:

I didn't realize how it works.

Well, that's one of the basics of using After Effects. It's a good thing to know. There are a lot of other things like this that you're probably missing. Since you're new to AE, I would highly recommend that you go through these resource: Getting started with After Effects

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Parented behaviour but not
                Wermount2323 Level 1

But what to do if I want to duplicate a precomposition wich has another precomposition in it?
                We have to do it separately and first duplicate a composition which is in a composition label higher.

I know how to solve this - start duplicating a composition being in a another composition.

But I want to know is there any better option for this?

• 5. Re: Parented behaviour but not

There is a script out there that could help: True Comp Duplicator

• 6. Re: Parented behaviour but not
                    Wermount2323 Level 1

Do we do this also WITHOUT any scripts in Adobe After Effects?

• 7. Re: Parented behaviour but not

If you duplicate a composition in your project panel, it will not also make new precomps. It will just contain references to the same precomp.

The only way to have it make new precomps automatically is the script. Or you can go through and make them yourself.

If you would like to see features added to After Effects, file a feature request: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form